Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a 2016 Honda Pilot Elite. (All the bells and whistles). 45k miles. The dealership we bought it from mislead us to believe it had a honda warranty for 12 months 12k after purchase. The day I picked it up it was in the next week for the heater core to be replaced.

My boss’ father in law owns a Honda Dealership and talked with the GM. They said they could do an extended bumper to bumper warranty good nation wide at all honda dealerships for an additional 90k miles or 5 years for $2900. I also looked at Carchex.Com they quoted me at they’re platinum plan for bumper to bumper for 7 yr or 125k miles at $3500 (they also said they price match).

What is everyone’s thoughts on extended warranties? Dealership vs Carchex.com. We drive our cars “until they’re dead” and plan on having this for many years.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
We were in the same position a year ago when we purchased our 16 EXL used from a Honda Dealership with 50k on the clock. The third party extended warranties offered were the only option because the factory 3/36 warranty had expired. The prices ranged from $2500 to over $4000 which was outrageous so we declined. I am fortunate to be able to do all my own work on the vehicle and $4K buys a lot of parts. Warranties are a money maker for the dealers so that is why they are offered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined and our last 2009 Honda Pilot had a lot of problems including the engine needing to be rebuilt due to the VTM or something. It was a $6000 repair but Honda luckily did a “good will repair” and we only ended up paying $600. Now that this new Pilot we have is an Elite my biggest fear is something failing with the electronic system. We were already off to a bad start having to need the heater core replaced which luckily I caught. Currently it’s back at the dealership that we bought it from because there were codes in the system but nothing was displaying on the dash as being wrong.

I just don’t know what to do.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Major repairs like engine and transmission rebuilds are covered for5/60 under your powertrain warranty but if you are not mechanically inclined and plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years, it may be worth it in your case to extend the warranty as labour costs add up pretty fast. You do have to look at the fine print though, as some warranties have pretty steep deductibles and exclude diagnostic fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one is $50 deductible. And I do have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
My boss’ father in law owns a Honda Dealership and talked with the GM. They said they could do an extended bumper to bumper warranty good nation wide at all honda dealerships for an additional 90k miles or 5 years for $2900.
Is that a HondaCare extended warranty?
If not, who is the provider?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts