Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So we just bought a 2016 Honda Pilot Elite and have come up with a few questions. We had never really looked at a Pilot before and ours came without a user manual as well (I found the link to the pdf version on Honda's site). So these are our questions so far:

Remote Start. We have one remote right now, but we have noticed that it won't initiate the remote start. The remote itself will briefly light up the red light on the remote, but no indication that the car received the signal to start. We are going to be buying another remote soon for driver 2 (driver 2 was not turned in by previous owner) but what I don't know is if this is the "Dreaded Remote Start" problem you all have reported, a broken remote, or a poorly programmed one.

Panoramic sun shade. I have noticed when I close the rear sun shade it closes all the way and then reopens about an inch. Is this expected?

System / preferences reset. Does anyone know of a way to reset all the personalizations and customizations on the Pilot Infotainment system? There is map data and etc from the previous owner and i really want to wipe it all out. Similar to a factory reset on a phone as an example.

Eco Mode. Has anyone found this useful? I turned it on for fun to see what it does and instantly regretted it when at a stop sign and the car took forever to actually start moving through the intersection. Anyone else almost find this a safety issue?

Apple CarPlay on 2016. I've seen a few replace what everyone is referring to as the black box with a 2017. What is the Black Box? I'd really like to get one of the newer systems with an actual dial for volume control and also one that has Apple CarPlay but not sure what the best method forward is for that. or if i could just replace with a 3rd party receiver.

Updates. Has anyone taken their Pilot to the dealer to do any firmware upgrades on the ECU or other? I know our Odyssey had to go have a software update for the torque converter fluttering which did help our Odyssey. I just didn't know if any existed for the Pilot or if anyone had any recommended ones to ask for.

I'm sure we will have more questions as we get used to our "new" car. However, so far the community seems really great. Also, our Pilot is awesome, feels just like our Odyssey in all the good ways while also adding AWD and a higher stance on the road.

Thank you in advance :)
-Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just tried to roll down all the windows with the remote and then with the key, no go. Going to play with settings to see if I can find a reset somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i answered one of my questions. If I use the Auto Close for the rear Sun Shade it closes all the way and then reopens an inch. If I don't use the auto close it closes all the way (push and hold). I also found where I can reset the Infotainment and that the personalization settings are somewhere else but can also be reset to defaults.

I have not found anything to help with the fob issues though... Anyone?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Your auto close sunroof module needs to be reprogrammed. It should not bounce back to open.

Also there’s no way to get a volume knob unless you find a way to retrofit a 2019 head unit in there and I don’t think the dimensions are exactly the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So ‘17 head unit then.
It’s just the sunshade for the rear and not the actual front sliding glass. Not terribly worried about that yet.

Does anyone have issues with their keys not rolling down the windows, remote start not working, and the alarm going off seemingly in a random fashion (turned it off, left key in inside, got out pumped gas, got in where the alarm started going off)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should also mention we just got the emission problem screen. Its not driving bad as far as we can tell. It’s got 83k miles on it. Working with the dealer to get stuff straightened out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it looks like Honda thinks it's the injectors and is working towards replacing those. Thankfully the dealer is covering it because we've only had it a couple weeks.

What is everyone else's experience with the 3rd gen alarm? We've only gotten gas twice but both times when I got back in the alarm went off as soon as I opened the door. First time we got gas the key was on the dash, second time the key was in my pocket. Do you think we possibly have a defective key fob or one that the programming is screwed up on?

I have a second fob that I need to get cut and programmed so I'm kind of waiting until that happens before going off the deep end trying to track down why the alarm goes off when I get gas. Also, yes the battery was replaced in the remote.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is everyone else's experience with the 3rd gen alarm? We've only gotten gas twice but both times when I got back in the alarm went off as soon as I opened the door. First time we got gas the key was on the dash, second time the key was in my pocket. Do you think we possibly have a defective key fob or one that the programming is screwed up on?
In four years I've never set off the alarm. The alarm sets when the car locks. disengages when the locks are opened. The car won't lock if you leave the key inside. Sounds like something for your dealer to look at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found the issue with the Alarm and other FOB related things. Got my new keys cut this weekend and noticed that on the way home the drivers door wasn't locking with the power door locks.

Not being new to the door lock actuator issue on our other cars, if a lock actuator failed to lock the door either the car would make a different noise or not beep or flash at all. The Pilot did not change it's behavior because it couldn't talk to the actuator?

So I decided to take the door apart to see what was up.

When I took the door panel off and disconnected everything I found Hot Chocolate that was dried inside. So I cleaned it up and went to reattach the cabled and noticed a cable not connected and I for the life of me couldn't find where it plugged in... It was the lock actuator cable, which doesn't plug into the door panel, it plugs into a socket on the door!

Basically, we've been driving around a car where the drivers door wasn't locking and it hasn't been locking since before we bought it in December.

So, TLDR, someone took the door apart before we bought it and disconnected the lock actuator on the drivers door. With this disconnected the car knew not to do things like Remote Start or window controls because it couldn't verify that the doors were locked.

So, 60 minutes and I've saved whatever cost the dealer would have charged to diagnose the Alarm, Remove Start, door actually locking, and remote window function not working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts