Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe the effort to open dash isn't worth it but are there any kits or simple diy to add dedicated USB ports to dash? I don't need connectivity to radio, just want to charge or power devices. Tired of using a cigarette plug adapter which sticks out too much. 2 or 3 ports would be great.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes, they make usb charging ports you can install. This was discussed on a 2016. Maybe the info can help.

Reactions: pilot2009

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scorrpio- I'm using a similar mini adapter but still sticks out more than I like. Plus the annoying flap door which would be great to remove keeps getting in the way.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This expands your scope some, but has worked great for me: a small inverter is easy to install in the center console, powered from that convenience outlet. I've got 110v AC, multiple 12v USB, it's easy to access and out of the way. Total install time for mine using velcro tape was about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tacoma- that's a possibility but do you have the inverter and USBs tied down by velcro inside the center console? It would seem a little inconvenient accessing the console instead of plugging in to the dash and being a 2 hand operation if all is not tied down. Do you have any pics?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
How about something like this?

Or a much cheaper ebay version

If you are really handy you may even be able to install one of them where the auxiliary port is now so the cover will hid them just as it does the auxiliary port.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tacoma- that's a possibility but do you have the inverter and USBs tied down by velcro inside the center console? It would seem a little inconvenient accessing the console instead of plugging in to the dash and being a 2 hand operation if all is not tied down. Do you have any pics?
I've got a 300w pure sine wave inverter. I can run a laptop or a non-USB charger, not something with a motor. I use the USB port for my phone. That works fine, but I get a little noise from the alternator if I'm playing audio from the phone while I'm charging. It's one of the best "bang for the buck" modifications I've made, for my needs.

As shown, I put it on a plywood "sled", then used adhesive-backed Velcro tape to attach the sled to the side of the center console. I can easily plug into the ports with one hand while driving, but I normally just pull cables out the front of the console so the lid is closed. The inverter is plugged into the convenience outlet in the console.

I agree that if it wasn't well-secured, it wouldn't be very useful. I went with Velcro because its easy to remove, and because it provides some mild insulation from vibration.

Velcro tape is "Industrial Strength Low Profile", Velcro brand. No rattles or disconnects, and still working perfectly after 15k miles. The only downside I've seen is that inverters consume power even idling, so if you forget to turn it off and leave the car in accessory mode, you'll drain your battery faster than you are used to.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Car Vehicle

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oh, and I should mention that while 300w is a low-power inverter, its more than enough to blow the fuse for the convenience outlet circuit. Its up to the user to stay below the nominal 180w (12v * 15A) fuse limit with a margin of error for conversion losses in the inverter. For charging, that shouldn't be a problem. Running a microwave probably won't work for long.

You can attach directly to the battery with other cables if you need more power.

·
Registered
2009 Pilot EX-L
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a 300w pure sine wave inverter. I can run a laptop or a non-USB charger, not something with a motor. I use the USB port for my phone. That works fine, but I get a little noise from the alternator if I'm playing audio from the phone while I'm charging. It's one of the best "bang for the buck" modifications I've made, for my needs.

As shown, I put it on a plywood "sled", then used adhesive-backed Velcro tape to attach the sled to the side of the center console. I can easily plug into the ports with one hand while driving, but I normally just pull cables out the front of the console so the lid is closed. The inverter is plugged into the convenience outlet in the console.

I agree that if it wasn't well-secured, it wouldn't be very useful. I went with Velcro because its easy to remove, and because it provides some mild insulation from vibration.

Velcro tape is "Industrial Strength Low Profile", Velcro brand. No rattles or disconnects, and still working perfectly after 15k miles. The only downside I've seen is that inverters consume power even idling, so if you forget to turn it off and leave the car in accessory mode, you'll drain your battery faster than you are used to.

View attachment 137208
This looks like a good secure setup but probably won't work for me. I have to turn awkwardly to access the center console, plus turning my head if I have to plug in something while driving. But definitely the fastest and easiest way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts