Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 16gb drive installed and listening to many MP3s for several months, no issues. The drive was maxed on space and I wanted to add more music so I bought a new SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive (it was rated as Amazon Choice). I copied my old USB drive to the new one and added a few more ripped CDs. It wouldn't play in either port, stating that it was unsupported.
I compared it to my old one and discovered that it would only allow NTFS & exFAT formatting. I'm assuming this is the problem.

Can anyone tell me the acceptable Specs and recommend a specific brand / model to try, preferably 64gb?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've had a 16gb drive installed and listening to many MP3s for several months, no issues. The drive was maxed on space and I wanted to add more music so I bought a new SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive (it was rated as Amazon Choice). I copied my old USB drive to the new one and added a few more ripped CDs. It wouldn't play in either port, stating that it was unsupported.
I compared it to my old one and discovered that it would only allow NTFS & exFAT formatting. I'm assuming this is the problem.

Can anyone tell me the acceptable Specs and recommend a specific brand / model to try, preferably 64gb?
It needs to be formatted as Fat32. That would be the default format in Windows 7; don't know about other operating systems. I think your issue with your USB drive is that your new drive is USB 3.0, needs to be USB 2.0

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Fat32 is what is recommend. I run USB3.0 drives just fine. You may need to download a small utility called GuiFormat.exe. simple and effective.

Ive run Sandisk 128GB and Lexar 128GB usb3 thumb drives just fine. I just use the ultralow profile drives.

Edit: Gigabyte not megabytes ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I stand corrected, Obsidian is correct. Its the size of USB drive that keeps Windows from offering the Fat32 option. Just Google "formatting large USB drive as Fat32". There are several 3rd party apps available. Or, just limit the size of your USB drive to 32GB.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I couldn't figure out why it didn't allow me to format Fat32, but that makes sense. I tried it from my Win10 laptop and Win7 desktop PC, but neither offered a Fat32 option.

I'll try the GuiFormat.exe and see if that works. I don't think it's USB3.0, couldn't find anything on the packaging, but I'll check again.

So the Honda Audio will only read Fat32, can handle USB3.0, and can read 128gb. Good to know, I couldn't find any specs in the Owners Manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts