Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot Exl 200km
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a 2009 Honda Pilot with 200km. Misfire on cylinder 5. Absolutely no compression on cylinder 5. Thought it might be cvm related, but my research indicates cvm tends to affect cylinder 3?

In any case, any help appreciated

I am about to apply extreme force to the manifold. Is it know if these things can stick?

Thanks. Glad to be a part of this community

UPDATE. I am able to get movement on the left side. Right side will not budge.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Just purchased a 2009 Honda Pilot with 200km. Misfire on cylinder 5. Absolutely no compression on cylinder 5. Thought it might be cvm related, but my research indicates cvm tends to affect cylinder 3?

In any case, any help appreciated

I am about to apply extreme force to the manifold. Is it know if these things can stick?

Thanks. Glad to be a part of this community
It should slip off with ease. It sets on a metal gasket. Ensure that all the bolts and nuts are loose. Its not hard to miss one.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
No compression in #5? That's not a VCM problem really.
Bent of sticking valve maybe? Head gasket shot?

I've heard there are recessed bolts too. Make sur you have them all out before you 'force it off'.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should slip off with ease. It sets on a metal gasket. Ensure that all the bolts and nuts are loose. Its not hard to miss one.
Thanks. I cannot for the life of me see any missed bolts.
No compression in #5? That's not a VCM problem really.
Bent of sticking valve maybe? Head gasket shot?

I've heard there are recessed bolts too. Make sur you have them all out before you 'force it off'.

Good luck and welcome to the site!
Dear Todd,

I am hoping head gasket. Thanks. It is now loose on the left side, but the right side will not give. I put some wd40 on it in the hope it might loosen up. I cannot see what else might be holding it.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
There are also hoses and wire conections on the throttle body. Some hidden underneath.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Send us a picture if you like.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you have a shop manual showing you the number and location of all the fasteners? I wouldn't be attempting this disassembly without one. I assume you've used a plastic mallet to tap around the perimeter of the manifold. But given you can get one side to move, I would strongly suspect you've missed a fastener.

- Mark

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Definitely check for a bolt, nut, or hose that you forgot to loosen/disconnect. That upper intake manifold should pull out with ease, unless someone added some sealant to the metal gasket between the intake manifold and spacer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I cannot for the life of me see any missed bolts.

Dear Todd,

I am hoping head gasket. Thanks. It is now loose on the left side, but the right side will not give. I put some wd40 on it in the hope it might loosen up. I cannot see what else might be holding it.
Do you have a shop manual showing you the number and location of all the fasteners? I wouldn't be attempting this disassembly without one. I assume you've used a plastic mallet to tap around the perimeter of the manifold. But given you can get one side to move, I would strongly suspect you've missed a fastener.

- Mark
I don't mark. Thanks for the idea. Just pulled one down from mediafire.com. thanks.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Looks like some corrosion on the drivers side bolt. Might need a little penetrating liquid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what I am thinking. Thanks. Will make some acetone/transmission fluid mix and give it a try

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You’re in for a rude awakening if you’re stumped at getting the intake manifold off on your own without forum help. The head gasket job is NO JOKE. I spent 20 hours on mine with a car lift. It’s tedious and a lot of things to blindly take off. You need a factory service manual and a ton of tools. If you haven’t done a timing belt on this vehicle I would advise against jumping right to the head gaskets.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
You’re in for a rude awakening if you’re stumped at getting the intake manifold off on your own without forum help. The head gasket job is NO JOKE. I spent 20 hours on mine with a car lift. It’s tedious and a lot of things to blindly take off. You need a factory service manual and a ton of tools. If you haven’t done a timing belt on this vehicle I would advise against jumping right to the head gaskets.
If I'm not under pressure for time. I'll jump head first into just about anything. Certainly maintaining the timing is of concern. Knowledge that everything needs to be torqued on reassembly. I'd buy a new set of head bolt since their TTY. Some like a challenge. Ask questions along the way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear Stick,

Thanks for the words of encouragement 😳 Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. I have time. I have stripped several engines at the local wreckers. I am inspired by online youtubers. I love to rip things apart and see how they are built. I don't like spending a lot of money on purchasing and maintaining vehicles. I also have four kids who are going to need to get their own vehicles, and I hope I can help them save money too. We are officially a Honda family.

The killer is the garage. It is not big enough for the vehicle. I will post some images. I am up here in the "arctic" climate of Ottawa, Canada, and I have spent two weeks attempting to come up with a workable solution. Combination of 2x8s and swimming noodles.

I have been slowly assembling tools. I just received a gear wrench for loosening the serpentine belt. I also just received a Capri Tools 21000 Honda Crank Pulley Removal Tool. I purchased a cheap pneumatic tool kit, but was unable to remove the crank pulley with the special harmonic balancer socket and the air impact wrench. I wished I had a decent cordless impact wrench. I am leaning towards the Makita, but I need to show some success before I feel comfortable justifying spending $500 to my wife:)

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
At quick glance it looks like you drove the Pilot through the garage door. Keep us posted as you disassemble things.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
4 Posts
Great solution to your warmth problem, I love it!

I would be gently rapping on the mani with my rubber mallet to dislodge the corrosion that has probably taken place.

The pics show me all fasteners have been removed. They should all be 12mm. Seems like some extra 10mm fasteners were removed that you will learn are not necessary to be off to pop the mani up and away.

Stay warm!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If I'm not under pressure for time. I'll jump head first into just about anything. Certainly maintaining the timing is of concern. Knowledge that everything needs to be torqued on reassembly. I'd buy a new set of head bolt since their TTY. Some like a challenge. Ask questions along the way.
TTY?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts