Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- 2012 bought used last year. If I even spill water on the lt grey-tan cloth seats it leaves a stain. I constantly use wipes approved for auto use - an important thing to do now -and it helps but a constant battle.
Steam clean and apply scotchguard?
Thanks sinegui

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I use a chem cleaner from Chemical Guys, but a good carpet and upholstery shampoo is at least as good. Do the whole seat and the rugs too. Let it dry completely, then use 303 fabric protectant 30606 (spray bottle) to help keep stuff from soaking in going forward. I easily go through a quart in a year on various projects, including rain jackets after dry cleaning. Worth buying the gallon at least for me. I put in in a cheap half-gallon hand pump sprayer from Harbor Freight and go to town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ! It just seems weird that water alone will leave a stain !
I enjoy my pilot.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Water alone generally won't leave a stain unless there's something there to contaminate the fabric, or there's a previous coating that's coming off. Water darkens the fabric while wet, but if it evaporates completely there should be no evidence.

K's 4Runner has cloth seats, and their annual cleaning is a revealing event. The color changes noticeably. No spills or anything, just a year of whatever's on clothes and hands seems to accumulate on the cloth. The seats get a single wash and half a dozen rinses, to get as much of the detergent and contaminants out before they dry. If I don't get that stuff out completely, i can get the symptom you describe where the new water gets into old detergent/crud residue that wasn't rinsed and removed completely. On K's car, the seats come out for the work. Easier to get around them, plus better access to the rugs. An amazing amount of brown ends up in the bottom of the wet vac.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks ! It just seems weird that water alone will leave a stain !
I enjoy my pilot.
My 2015 with the gray cloth seats does the same thing. the water will dry but it leaves a ring around where the wet spot was. I bought a steam machine and used various cleaners. Finally got all the stains out, but with my wife and 3 kids the seats were looking gross in no time and I have since just given up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts