Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed a pair of Bilstein B6s (24-268929) on the rear of our '13 EX-L last night. Paid $83ea from Summit Racing. Free shipping and received in 3 days (south Louisiana). Took about 45min in the driveway because, luckily, I did not have to contend with rusted or corroded bolts. The Honda OEM shock was shot on the driver side. The OEM shock on passenger side was ok, but you're supposed to replace in pairs. Honestly, I bought the B6 has just for the blue and yellow Bilstein color. Drove for 20 minutes last night and could immediately tell a difference. Wife is as excited as I am.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Installed a pair of Bilstein B6s (24-268929) on the rear of our '13 EX-L last night. Paid $83ea from Summit Racing. Free shipping and received in 3 days (south Louisiana). Took about 45min in the driveway because, luckily, I did not have to contend with rusted or corroded bolts. The Honda OEM shock was shot on the driver side. The OEM shock on passenger side was ok, but you're supposed to replace in pairs. Honestly, I bought the B6 has just for the blue and yellow Bilstein color. Drove for 20 minutes last night and could immediately tell a difference. Wife is as excited as I am.
Does it feel stiffer and more in ctrl?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it feel at freeway speed? Does it make the SUV too bumpy and jittery or is it still compliant and smooth?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been able to drive it over the past days across well known bumpy areas on the interstate and our 23mi long causeway. It's def a marked improvement. I would say its firm, but not uncomfortable. The rear B6's feel very responsive. Our rides are much 'less eventful'? I'm very glad we spent the extra $60 on the Bilstein pair (over KBY's or Monroes). I feel on our pothole and bump filled roads these 'heavier duty' shocks will hold up over time. Though I do think they are tuned somewhat specifically for each vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a set of rear B6's from Tire Rack and am looking forward to getting them installed and enjoying the better ride. The Monroe OESpectrum I installed a year ago were a complete waste of money and my install time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed B6's front and rear. Night and day from oem and it feels great! I prefer a stiffer ride and this gives me that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed Bilstein B6 struts and rear shock recently after waiting for years until the Bilstein models were available. Ordered them immediately when Tire Rack online stated they were available.

I have had trouble with the OE Honda struts and shocks from the start. Have had the struts replaced under warranty with only limited time of improvement/restoration of original ride. The major point of the failure of the parts is that there seems to be no "jounce" control of the rebound and well as the "soft" compression of the unit when you hit a bump or irregularity. Waited for 8 long years before the Bilsteins became available.

Immediate difference in handling! The ride is now firm and smooth, period. Vehicle is extremely controllable. Worth the wait and the money. The stock units as well as the KYB replacements only provided limited control for a short time. They never exhibited the smooth control ride provided by the Bilstein units.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Too bad they did not make these for the gen 1 pilot .

·
Registered
602 Posts
Installed Bilstein B6 struts and rear shock recently after waiting for years until the Bilstein models were available. Ordered them immediately when Tire Rack online stated they were available.

I have had trouble with the OE Honda struts and shocks from the start. Have had the struts replaced under warranty with only limited time of improvement/restoration of original ride. The major point of the failure of the parts is that there seems to be no "jounce" control of the rebound and well as the "soft" compression of the unit when you hit a bump or irregularity. Waited for 8 long years before the Bilsteins became available.

Immediate difference in handling! The ride is now firm and smooth, period. Vehicle is extremely controllable. Worth the wait and the money. The stock units as well as the KYB replacements only provided limited control for a short time. They never exhibited the smooth control ride provided by the Bilstein units.
What strut mount/bearing brand did you use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The evil bastards at Bilstein do not make shocks or struts for my 03 Pilot and I am stuck with sloppy, lousy, fragile KYBs. I am on my second pair of front KYBs on el Piloto and really detest them. They do nothing to improve ride, shock absorption, or handling. I'll be moving over to Toyota soon because nobody makes anything off road for the 1st generation Pilot.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The evil bastards at Bilstein do not make shocks or struts for my 03 Pilot and I am stuck with sloppy, lousy, fragile KYBs. I am on my second pair of front KYBs on el Piloto and really detest them. They do nothing to improve ride, shock absorption, or handling. I'll be moving over to Toyota soon because nobody makes anything off road for the 1st generation Pilot.
Interesting reason to change vehicles but it's your money!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
For a 17 year old truck your're kidding right ? your lucky to get anything for Honda after 5 years that's their cut off for support on a year

·
Registered
24 Posts
For a 17 year old truck your're kidding right ? your lucky to get anything for Honda after 5 years that's their cut off for support on a year
I am not talking about Honda. I'm referring to Bilstein.....I check on Tire Rack and nada. By the way don't ever insinuate that my Pilot is old. It's how you take care of it that keeps it young and mine is still running like a spinning top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW, only a numbnut would buy parts from Honda if they didn't have to. You wanna pay 3x the price, step up to the Honda parts counter and they'll be happy to pick your pocket.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I am not talking about Honda. I'm referring to Bilstein.....I check on Tire Rack and nada. By the way don't ever insinuate that my Pilot is old. It's how you take care of it that keeps it young and mine is still running like a spinning top.
That's good to hear but it's also still 17 years YOUNG . Besides from owning PiIots well over 200k I have found over the years it's better to purchase parts that's critical to the Pilot OEM nothing aftermarket will last last as long as oem. Come to think of it my pilots are still running original factory parts on the 200k+ . Show me something that lasts that long.

As calling or stating someone being a numbnut for buying OEM i would tread lightly as to not to insult other members . I'm not sure if you were aware that buying OEM online will sometimes be cheaper than the aftermarket part. Again this is just speculation as to why you are such against buying OEM ..then again you are already trying to find excuses to purchase a Toyota .. Your money your choice in the matter. Not sure if you were aware that the 1st Gen Pilot was not ever designed to be off road ..only members with the right stuff can turn their ride into something close to an overlander.
The 2nd Gen Pilots have the Bilstein's and they do ride really nice. Same company that has provided shocks for my Tahoe's and Denali.

Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Didn't mean to insult anyone but my hackles go up over issues like age of motor vehicles. I used to be a Volvo nut and ran at least one of my cars well over 200k. It was a 122S, one of the best cars ever. Actually. I am edging toward a Toyota 4 door pickup because I live in Guatemala where the roads can be appalling. I didn't know the 1st gen Pilots weren't intended for off road use. It is a 4x4 and has the height and I've used it offroad many times. In addition to the flimsy KYBs I've recently replaced all the rubber suspension parts which is to be expected. The engine and transmission, as I say, just keep humming along. although the gas mileage is terrible. I suspect gunked up EGR channels. It's a great car and has served us well. If you have any suggestions about stiffening up the suspension I'd be pleased to hear them. Yeah. I've heard the maxim that Hondas like Honda parts. My local mechanic thinks I am nuts for insisting on Honda parts which cost a fortune down here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts