Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Upgrading tires and tire size

21K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Scoobs 
#1 ·
Have had Pilot 3 weeks. Want to replace Goodyear Integra tires with Michelin CTs and change tire size to 245/70R16. Does this present any problems. Honda dealer says 235/70R16 is only tire size for the Pilot. Would appreciate input from those of you who have changed tire size. Is there any negatives to doing this. Please advise. Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 ·
David,

If you're interested, here is a web site for calculating tire size and effects on speedometers and rpm:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Also, I asked the same question you have to Discount Tire Direct. Here is their response:

Greetings from Discount Tire Direct.

Thank you for your inquiry.

You can go up to a 245/70r16 on the vehicle. We offer many tires.
The recommended width for your OEM 16X6.5 wheels, is the 235/70r16.
You could use the 245/70r16, but treadwear will be decreased
slightly. The 255/65r16 or the 255/70r16 is definitely too wide
for the wheel.

Based on all this and the information in the owner's manual, I decided to go with stock size.

Birdman

#4 ·
Very nice. Like the look of the CT's.

#5 ·
I put the CTs on my Pilot in November but stayed with the stock size. If you live in the south a wider size is probably a good option. If you live in the snowbelt you might want to stick with the stock size due to the better traction characteristics of the stock size in the snow.

Cheers

#9 ·
Michelin is a conservative company when it comes to their tires. He'll probably be ok with 255 65s so long as he isn't towing or carrying a heavy load at high speeds for a long distance. Also try to avoid any high G stuff.
I know it's not directly comparable but I've seen Michelin x-country bicycle tires rated for 70 lbs max run at 100 lbs with no problems. (Michelin Jet S)

#10 ·
Aftermarket 17" wheels

I've just put on 17" x 7.5" Moda R6 with 255/60-17 Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. Huge difference in handling! With stock tires, cornering felt as if tire was tucking under--now, it handles great. I know, SUV's were designed to corner but from a safety standpoint it is important. Will post pics soon....

Cheers, Brad

White EX, Moda 17", Pirelli Zero 255/60, rear mud guards, Weathertech front mats, cargo cover & tray, Yakima Low Rider rack, SilverStar bulbs

#12 ·
Looks good Brad.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.