Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the better solution (I don't care the price if the solution is good) to upgrade my 2016 Pilot to do off road. The biggest concern with 3rd gen Pilot is ground clearance. I know that I can put bigger tires but, at best, it will only provide 1 more inch clearance. Also, I'm towing a big travel trailer and even if the Ridgeline as the same towing capacity, it performs better than the Pilot at the task.
Possible solutions:
  1. Lift kits - cheap solution but can prematurely worn transmission or other parts because it change where forces are applied (is it the same for all other solutions?). It won't help me for towing and could be worst.
  2. Air suspension - I don't know much about it. My biggest concern is: will it be as much comfortable on normal road then stock suspension. I suspect it's probably the best solution if possible.
  3. Change suspension parts (maybe a lot) for Passport or Ridgeline one. I don't know if it's possible but I guess so because it's all the same platform.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Why do you feel a Ridgeline would tow better?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have weight distribution hitch. It's not my point. I want to improve performances of the véhicule from factory specs.
In my opinion, look for a different vehicle that is designed for off road. The Pilot is designed for all weather reliability, people hauling, and comfort. It's bones are not designed for off road.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'm looking for the better solution (I don't care the price if the solution is good) to upgrade my 2016 Pilot to do off road
Want to play off road with the Pilot means lift kit, tire upgrades and funds for axles and suspension bits. One thing you definitely need to survive out there is some protection for the vulnerable drivetrain and oil pan when going off road as you scrape and bang on uneven surfaces (rocks). Slim picking from the aftermarket so be prepared to make your own.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
In my opinion, look for a different vehicle that is designed for off road. The Pilot is designed for all weather reliability, people hauling, and comfort. It's bones are not designed for off road.
It can be done if ya want to play ya got to pay 💰 LOL
Land vehicle Off-roading Vehicle Off-road racing Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
55 Posts
“A big travel trailer” is going to require a different vehicle.

Pilot has a weak rear differential, it’s not going to support significant tongue weight.

Rear GAWR (AWD) is only 3,097 - 3,142 lbs depending on trim

·
Registered
Honda Pilot Overland Touring AWD Concept
7 Posts
I have a 2" Traxda lift kit on mine with 265/60 (R18x8.5) Coopers that give about an extra 1/2 to 1". I've taken it mild off-roading and we've had a lot of fun with it. Still a great daily driver that hauls around our family of 6+ ;) IMHO, the Pilot is probably one of the best 7-8 seater/all-rounder and its torque vectoring makes it more than capable of hitting many trails and terrains. I'm not sure about a "big travel trailer" though. Good luck!

You can see my set up here: Login • Instagram

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It has better suspension parts. Shocks are better, berings are bigger, and other parts have been modified for the Ridgeline.
I had no idea Honda actually made different drive train parts for a Ridge.
Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you want to be able to tow better and price isn't an issue, then you should trade in your Pilot for an SUV with a traditional truck frame and beefier engine. Something like a Toyota Sequoia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to be able to tow better and price isn't an issue, then you should trade in your Pilot for an SUV with a traditional truck frame and beefier engine. Something like a Toyota Sequoia.
My pilot is able to tow my travel trailer. I went off road with it too. It's my day to day car and I don't want a second ride for less than 10% of my needs. I want to keep it for a long time. If I can't upgrade it, it will keep it stock.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Is this you in the videos?
The pic looks like you ripped the grill on the Pilot?
No but the low hanging bumpers on these SUVs makes that ez to happen. That FB Pilot owner has been pushing his Pilot to the limits lately and I expect it to blow up pretty soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OP - The pilot is a frameless uni-body suv. With that said, you should NOT use a equalizer hitch on it. An equalizer hitch rotates the frame to push the front end down reducing sag in the rear. The chassis of the pilot is NOT designed to handle that torque. I am pretty sure your best bet is like other stated.. Buy a fullsize SUV like a Yukon of you want to tow anything heavy enough where you think you need a equalizer hitch

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2" Traxda lift kit on mine with 265/60 (R18x8.5) Coopers that give about an extra 1/2 to 1". I've taken it mild off-roading and we've had a lot of fun with it. Still a great daily driver that hauls around our family of 6+ ;) IMHO, the Pilot is probably one of the best 7-8 seater/all-rounder and its torque vectoring makes it more than capable of hitting many trails and terrains. I'm not sure about a "big travel trailer" though. Good luck!

Hey, I like the look of your lifted Pilot and tires. How many miles have you got on that lift? Any mechanical issues with the car after the install? Did the lift change the ride quality or stability significantly?

·
Registered
193 Posts

How long did it take to install the lift kit without alignment?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I beg to differ! Check my progress @awdtank on Instagram

1 - 20 of 20 Posts