Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the 2012 EX infotainment, system without Nav. I want to upgrade it to factory system that more recent firmware for handslink for new iPhone and AirPlay option.
Has anyone done this with the dealership and what was involve ? What year will fit into a 2012?

Thoughts?
Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have the 2012 EX infotainment, system without Nav. I want to upgrade it to factory system that more recent firmware for handslink for new iPhone and AirPlay option.
Has anyone done this with the dealership and what was involve ? What year will fit into a 2012?
What year / version of the Pilot's system successfully added AirPlay for iPhones?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
airplay didn't come in to the Honda Pilot world until 2016 for the factory junk. Most went aftermarket to get it for the second gen and 1st gen series .

Reactions: Pilot4Pups

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Well if you are thinking of using the dealership then call them and see whet they say. Frankly, I don't see your chances as being good to do so. Your talking about a Gen 2 vehicle and wanting to put in a Gen 3 component, and a large one at that. I suspect that there will be wiring harness issues to name just one. Component shapes and sizes will be another. My 2013 Pilot Touring nav screen size and placement was totally different than the unit in my 2020 Passport Touring.

You might be able to find some aftermarket unit, but I have reservations of being able to upgrade to a Honda unit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
airplay didn't come in to the Honda Pilot world until 2016 for the factory junk. Most went aftermarket to get it for the second gen and 1st gen series .
how junky is the factory junk

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
For the time it came out it was a decent unit. I had no issues with mine. It's not as refined as the modern units, but then I never understood the concept of putting in some grand sound system in a vehicle. One, your going to get rid of the vehicle eventually and two It's A Freaking Vehicle.

It is by its very nature going to be noisy, which negates the purposes of some high quality sound system. In my home I have a very nice complete system, but then the family room it occupies has been upgraded to provide optimal sound quality, plus the house never goes on the road, so no road noises.

If the nav system is what you want, get a good Garmin. If airplay is what you want look at some 3rd party unit that has airplay. Or do what I did and trade in the Pilot for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
There are a couple options like Navtool that duplicate your cellphone screen on the center display. You get to choose between normal honda display functions and the phone screen. It takes a wired connection to the phone to work, but keeps the existing display.

Honda builds each trim level as a standalone. Wiring harnesses aren't universal to the family, but to the trim and accessory levels. Cars without factory nav units don't have any of the wiring or the pieces need to install nav in them. Ditto RES, and the higher-level audio systems in the higher-trim cars. Do you really want to try and fit tech pieces designed no later than 2010? Guessing not.

The next-gen cars have better screen resolution in the console display, and way different hardware driving it. The screens are different size and mounting, the wiring connections and components are way different. In an age where CANBUS and data-driven controls are the standard, there's no reason to believe that the standards used in yours are anywhere near the standards used starting the 2016+ MY cars. The pieces are far from any plug-and-play option, and all it takes is one or two address conflicts on CANBUS to fault the system and brick your car. No dealer would even consider making this kind of modification for you.

The cheapest option would be to get the system you want, with the car it comes with wrapped around it. Go to the sales department rather than the service department.

-----

I find myself more and more depending on nav guidance from my cellphone. The data is always up to date. On long trips I get destination addresses from the phone and enter them into the car's nav unit anyway, just so I don't chew up data bandwidth unnecessarily. I keep a Garmin in a rear compartment just-in-case, and use it sometimes to see how different the Alpine routing data in the car compares with what the Garmin and my iPhone Maps and Waze apps prescribe when I get near cities. Just getting the update DVD from Honda is more $$ than a whole new Garmin unit with lifetime maps and traffic subscriptions. Also found that iPhone maps links to my iWatch, and taps my wrist to remind me to turn before it speaks directions, if I let it. Short of a Tesla or similar, your system technology level is frozen before you buy the car, and stays that way for the life of the car. Carplay is a workaround, an option available as aftermarket retrofit for many cars at better car audio places.

Reactions: dogs_ruleme

·
Registered
750 Posts
Factory stuff? Forget it. You'll get back a 'no can do' on even updating to a 2012 Nav system. (Which is of little use anyway) There are a lot of components involved there, including harnesses, fuse boxes, etc. You pretty much have to go aftermarket. And if you try talking about fitting a 2016+ system into a 2012, they'll politely suggest you trade-in your 2012 car for a 2020

As mentioned above, Navtool is least invasive option, and will will give you Apple CarPlay (AirPlay is casting your iPhone to a home TV) It is basically a box that plugs in between your audio unit and your display unit. If you are firmly in Apple camp, you should be fine, but if anyone driving the car has an Android phone, proper Android Auto support does not seem to be there. System control is via a steering wheel mounted control pad. Kinda means your passenger can't help with controls.

Aftermarket solutions generally involve replacement of the factory screen. In my case (2013 EX) I manufactured a new faceplate in order to mount an Alpine head unit.
My upgrade also included all speakers, sub and an add-on amplifier. I integrated factory camera, factory microphone, and all steering wheel controls.

There are also some systems with a 'floating screen' (such as Alpine Halo9) - those can be mounted in the space of the factory display without worrying about custom faceplate - since the screen will cover things up.
If going aftermarket, something needs to be done about the sub, since factory head powers it directly.
Option 1: Get a real small 12VDC amp, like this one:
Install it near the head and power factory sub with it.
Option 2: Get a powered sub, but installing it in the factory sub area might be not easy, and you will need to run power cable to it.
Option 3: Upgrade factory sub (any 8" shallow mount sub will work) and put an amplifier for it under passenger seat. It can be a mono amp just for the sub, or you can go full hog with a 5-channel amp and better speakers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well if you are thinking of using the dealership then call them and see whet they say. Frankly, I don't see your chances as being good to do so. Your talking about a Gen 2 vehicle and wanting to put in a Gen 3 component, and a large one at that. I suspect that there will be wiring harness issues to name just one. Component shapes and sizes will be another. My 2013 Pilot Touring nav screen size and placement was totally different than the unit in my 2020 Passport Touring.

You might be able to find some aftermarket unit, but I have reservations of being able to upgrade to a Honda unit.

Thoughts?
Thank you
Just to let you know I have a 2014 Pilot Touring with nav. The nav sucks. Esp in the country. It could not even find the road a friend’s farm is on until I was actually on the road. I use my iPhone for navigation with google maps. Google is updated more frequently and I don’t have to pay $150 for it to be updated. I also carry an older Garman in the glove box. Just in case.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Just to let you know I have a 2014 Pilot Touring with nav. The nav sucks. Esp in the country. It could not even find the road a friend’s farm is on until I was actually on the road. I use my iPhone for navigation with google maps. Google is updated more frequently and I don’t have to pay $150 for it to be updated. I also carry an older Garman in the glove box. Just in case.
My 2013 Touring Nav system was primitive by today's standards, but it never caused me any problems in the wilds of Kansas or anywhere in the US for that matter. Always got me where I was going.

With all due respects to our good neighbors to the north, I watch a show on the science channel titled What On Earth, and frankly there are places in Canada that are featured on that show that Google Earth can't locate. 😁 I feel your pain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts