Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here upgraded the rear brakes on the 3rd Gen Pilot with Ridgeline vented brakes? It seems worth doing if you need to replace rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
How far have you gotten into it? How many parts need to be replaced? Are we talking caliper/pads/rotor or do you need a new hub assembly and all?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s just at the research stage. I’m also wondering if the front brakes on the Ridgeline are any bigger or better. My Pilot is still in very new condition, just bought it brand new last September, but when the time comes to do brakes, I want to compare this as an option.

·
Registered
518 Posts
??? I just looked at a 2017 Ridgeline RTL-E and a 2017 Pilot Elite, both use the same OEM part number rear rotor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It’s just at the research stage. I’m also wondering if the front brakes on the Ridgeline are any bigger or better. My Pilot is still in very new condition, just bought it brand new last September, but when the time comes to do brakes, I want to compare this as an option.
MAYBE CHECK THE ACURA MDX.....IN THE FRIST GENERATION PILOTS.....THE ACURA BRAKE PARTS WERE A DIRECT FIT ON THE PILOTS.....AND THE ACURA HAD BETTER BRAKES.....

JUST A THOUGHT.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just go with aftermarket rotors and pads and you'll likely have a better (and less expensive) experience than using Honda OEM anything. There are lots of great discussions on this board about Centric and other brands that are working out well for people.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ALL CAPITALS IS THE SAME AS SCREAMING, please use lower case.

The MDX doesn't have ventilated rear rotors. The Ridgeline is built on the same platform as the Pilot/MDX and it has ventilated rear rotors.

MAYBE CHECK THE ACURA MDX.....IN THE FRIST GENERATION PILOTS.....THE ACURA BRAKE PARTS WERE A DIRECT FIT ON THE PILOTS.....AND THE ACURA HAD BETTER BRAKES.....

JUST A THOUGHT.....

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The TireRack site shows that StopTech has slotted/vented rotors available for both the front and rear of Gen 3 Pilots.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe the Canadian model of the Ridgeline comes with better brakes. We seem to get more and better features than the American market.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Nope...same as the US (aside the typical Canadian specific “heated windshield” or some other fairly minor “more and better feature”:

Canadian Honda - 2017 Ridgeline

Four-Wheel Disc Braking System with Electronic Brake Distribution

The 2017 Ridgeline has 4-wheel disc brakes with a 4-channel anti-lock braking system for a powerful and linear brake feel and confident stops in a wide range of driving conditions, including dry and wet asphalt, and snow. The ventilated front discs are 12.6 inches in diameter and use 2-piston calipers, while the solid rear discs are 13.0 inches in diameter and have single-piston calipers. Improved ventilation, including a second airflow pathway, improves cooling and reduces the thermal deflection that can cause hot and cold judder. The calipers utilize a spring-loaded mechanism to maintain separation between the brake pads and rotor to reduce brake drag when not in use, reducing rolling resistance and improving fuel efficiency in the process.

For optimum performance with widely varying loads, Ridgeline has Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) technology. EBD monitors braking force and adjusts front-to-rear brake effort to achieve maximum braking performance and stability. At the rear, a select-low braking strategy is used to help maintain directional stability in slippery driving. In the event one rear wheel verges on lock-up, triggering a pressure modulation at that wheel, brake pressure is also diminished at the adjoining wheel to help preserve the rear axle's lateral stability. The parking brake is set and released by stepping on a pedal located on the left side of the driver’s foot well, freeing space in the centre console area.”

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope...same as the US (aside the typical Canadian specific “heated windshield” or some other fairly minor “more and better feature”:

Canadian Honda - 2017 Ridgeline

Four-Wheel Disc Braking System with Electronic Brake Distribution

The 2017 Ridgeline has 4-wheel disc brakes with a 4-channel anti-lock braking system for a powerful and linear brake feel and confident stops in a wide range of driving conditions, including dry and wet asphalt, and snow. The ventilated front discs are 12.6 inches in diameter and use 2-piston calipers, while the solid rear discs are 13.0 inches in diameter and have single-piston calipers. Improved ventilation, including a second airflow pathway, improves cooling and reduces the thermal deflection that can cause hot and cold judder. The calipers utilize a spring-loaded mechanism to maintain separation between the brake pads and rotor to reduce brake drag when not in use, reducing rolling resistance and improving fuel efficiency in the process.

For optimum performance with widely varying loads, Ridgeline has Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) technology. EBD monitors braking force and adjusts front-to-rear brake effort to achieve maximum braking performance and stability. At the rear, a select-low braking strategy is used to help maintain directional stability in slippery driving. In the event one rear wheel verges on lock-up, triggering a pressure modulation at that wheel, brake pressure is also diminished at the adjoining wheel to help preserve the rear axle's lateral stability. The parking brake is set and released by stepping on a pedal located on the left side of the driver’s foot well, freeing space in the centre console area.”
The docs are wrong for Canadian models then. I check every second generation Ridgeline when I see one. They all have vented rotors on the back.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Reactions: GETFURIOUS

·
Registered
353 Posts
Where is @zroger73 when you need him?
I thought my ears were burning! I no longer receive notifications from any of these VerticalScope forums on my primary email address for some reason and nobody has been able to figure out.

The docs are wrong for Canadian models then. I check every second generation Ridgeline when I see one. They all have vented rotors on the back.
It's possible the Canadian specs are wrong, but according to specification sheets, press releases, and parts lists, the rear brake rotors for the 2016-current Pilot, 2017-current Ridgeline, and 2019-current Passport are all solid and not vented. The part number is the same for all.

Exactly how many 2G Ridgelines have you seen with vented rear rotors? Did you take photos of the rear rotors when you looked at them?

Either ALL of Honda's information has been wrong for four continuous years, you're wrong, or all of these Ridgelines you've seen have had their factory rear rotors replaced with vented rotors (assuming such an upgrade even exists for the Ridgeline).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts