Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite. I've installed the OEM trailer hitch, ATF cooler etc. Has anyone also upgraded the brakes? Power Stop High Performance brakes?
I'm towing a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 195RB and wondering if I should also upgrade the brakes.
Thanks

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
Have you added a seven way plug and brake controller for your trailer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would recommend the Power Stop brand. I just replaced my front pads and rotors with the power stop z36 on my 2017 Pilot EXL. I got mine from a place call Rockauto (online store).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend the Power Stop brand. I just replaced my front pads and rotors with the power stop z36 on my 2017 Pilot EXL. I got mine from a place call Rockauto (online store).
How much of a difference did they make?
Are you going to do the rears?

·
Registered
337 Posts
On my Sequoia I used Hawk Pads either LTS or Superduty. They did dust more but there was noticeable improvement in friction coefficient. Pads gripped much better initial and all way through. There is always a trade off. Police/Emergency use heavier duty semi metallic often. they squeal some dust more but its a trade.

Read about some choices on Raceshopper.com, Stoptech, Brembo.

Also do a full fluid flush with a better brake fluid (higher dry and wet boiling points). Option also is slotted rotors but they do create a whrrrrrr noise under braking. I did that on my Sonata. It went from barely being able to stop after 12 stop signs (on way to Fire/Ambulance calls) to serious brake smell but no issue stopping. The pads when hot off gas and create a cushion that won't compress (add old fluid to soft pedal). The slotted rotors allow the gas somewhere to go.

Wife hated the slotted on Sequoia as noise drove her crazy so just got the pad upgrades.

The trailer brakes should take care of the trailer. They need to be serviced and adjusted also so that if you activate the electric brakes fully they should pretty much be close to lock up also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How much of a difference did they make?
Are you going to do the rears?
I have Power Stop Z23 (Z36 isn't available for 2011) on all four corners of my 2011 Pilot. I am pleased with the quality and performance. Price is right too. IMHO a brake system upgrade is always a good idea weather you tow or not. I really appreciated the kit taking all the guess work out of matching a brake pad to a rotor. Win, Win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts