Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 2011 Pilot Touring for about 6 months and it is eating cd/dvd. I'd like to replace the stereo and while I have the dash out I'd like to upgrade the Nav/back-up display as it just sucks. It would also be nice to add BT audio so I can ditch the cord as headphone jacks on cellphones are dissappearing. I've tried looking for replacements but every thing I find seems to be for ex-l model. Can someone please help me out. I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
The huge problem with 2011 Touring (and pretty much all the 2012-2015 models) is that climate/music sub-display integrated into the audio head.

The way I did it in my 2013:

A similar install:

Both cases, OEM audio unit is still in its place and powered - but no longer works as an audio source.

Requires extensive modding of the top display housing so it can accommodate a double-DIN audio unit. Depending on your budget, you can try checking with any local custom car audio shops. Show them the threads I linked and if they can do the same and for how much.

You will also need a new amplifier. It is practically guaranteed that OEM amplifier will not work properly with an aftermarket audio head. Also going to need a steering wheel control adapter. I estimate my overhaul was close to $2000 just for the parts with me doing everything myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt that this was gonna be the answer. Honda really didn't think this design through well. It's a shame.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Aftermarket compatibility is generally not very high on automakers priority. They want the entertainment cluster look slick and integrated when a buyer looks at the new car at a dealership. Probably less than one in a thousand buyers looks inside a new car and thinks "this will be a total pain to upgrade in 6-7 years when this stuff is obsolete". If you think Pilot is bad, you should check out Lexus...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just started a somewhat related thread. I'm going to try to replace the nav head unit in a 2011 EX-L and want to swap in a non-nav upper screen so I can keep the HVAC readout. I'll probably just go to an installer and see what they say rather than screwing around with this myself. I already have the parts so I just need to make time to go get it done.

I wouldn't suggest doing this until/unless I know it will actually work first, but getting the parts on ebay was pretty easy. Plenty of those screens available and all in the $80-$100 range. I'm hoping that screen will plug into the HVAC and seat heaters instead of them going into the old head unit, because that would seem to make the most sense. Although I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Honda had a totally different wiring setup for that in non-nav equipped Pilots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts