Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had an issue with their gauge cluster showing the wrong temperature? I got the update for the gauge cluster and the infotainment today at my dealer, and now my temperature is stuck at 86 degrees. I checked the temperature on my phone and it said the outside temperature was 98 degrees, and it felt like that too. My dealer is like 7 miles away from my house, and I stopped at Home Depot to get some stuff. During the whole drive home it was stuck at 86 degrees. I turned the car off while I was at Home depot too. I'm thinking of taking my car back to the dealer if it stays at 86 for a few more days. If you have anything to say, please post it below! I'd love to hear what you guys say about it! BTW, I checked the thing that lets you change the outside temp reading (idk why they have that), and it was at 0, so that couldn't be my issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The outside temperature is measured by the HVAC controller and sent to the gauge cluster via the B-CAN data bus. The gauge cluster update requires removing the gauge cluster so maybe a connector wasn’t seated correctly. The outside temp can be changed +/- 5 deg for calibration purposes. It might be interesting to change the setting and see if the temp display changes

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The outside temperature is measured by the HVAC controller and sent to the gauge cluster via the B-CAN data bus. The gauge cluster update requires removing the gauge cluster so maybe a connector wasn’t seated correctly. The outside temp can be changed +/- 5 deg for calibration purposes. It might be interesting to change the setting and see if the temp display changes
I probably would would just change the outside temp with the screen, but the temperature is off by more than 5 degrees. So is the HVAC controller directly connected into the gauge cluster or something? If it isn't too hard to do, I could just do it myself instead of taking it back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I meant to change it to see if the temperature indication changes. Don’t think the gauge cluster is that difficult to remove but if you break something...
I would take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to change it to see if the temperature indication changes.
Oh right lol. I was hoping if the cable was somewhere in the engine bay or something, I could just plug it in all the way or something. I'll take it back in a few days if it doesn't change. I think it was 86 degrees when I took the car to the dealer so that's maybe why it's stuck at 86 degrees.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Good suggestion. Change the calibration using the adjustment a few degrees. Drive and see if the temperature remains at 86, or if it starts reading again (even though you know the calibration is off). If it starts reading or responding again, then re-calibrate back to 0 and see what happens.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help! I’ll keep you guys updated if that helps!

·
Registered
268 Posts
On my EX-L if I change the outside temp setting in Settings menu, the displayed temp immediately responds with the amount of adjustment saved. I would try this to see if your display responds. If it doesn’t, it’s a pretty good indication that the gauge module is not communicating on the network. Is so, make sure that other functions such as the ECO switch, Cruise Control/LKAS switch, gauge illumination, etc are working. The tech has to remove the gauge module from the vehicle to work the recall. It’s probably a connector not seated or broken wire causing the issue.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked the temperature again today and it wasn't 86 anymore! I really wonder what happened. The temperature didn't change when I turned the car back on yesterday as I said before, but I guess since the car has been sitting for a while, it reset the gauges or something. I noted that the temperature went from 95 to 108 and back to 101 when I turned the car on after it was sitting for a while. Yesterday the temperature was too low, but today the car was in my garage and it wasn't too hot and it still showed 101 which I found was weird. I'll probably take it back to the dealer if the temperature is still weird.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I came across the exact same same scenario and after some research found that the dash there is a logic applied to displaying the ambient air temperature so as to avoid incorrect readings due to heat from the engine in the engine bay. In short, if the engine has reached a certain temperature but the car does not maintain a certain speed for a certain point of time, the temperature value does not update

Once the engine temperature falls below a certain level, or the car is driven for a certain distance at the specified speed, readings are updated at a regular interval.

There is a pdf floating around that describes the logic exactly as implemented, unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came across the exact same same scenario and after some research found that the dash there is a logic applied to displaying the ambient air temperature so as to avoid incorrect readings due to heat from the engine in the engine bay. In short, if the engine has reached a certain temperature but the car does not maintain a certain speed for a certain point of time, the temperature value does not update

Once the engine temperature falls below a certain level, or the car is driven for a certain distance at the specified speed, readings are updated at a regular interval.

There is a pdf floating around that describes the logic exactly as implemented, unfortunately I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Thank you SOOO MUCH!!!! I always thought something was wrong with the temp sensor or something but seems like it isn’t. I was stuck in traffic at that time, but I probably reached speeds around 30-40mph when I was going home and it still didn’t update the speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take a look at the following, not exactly the same pdf as what I originally found before but logic looks to be pretty much the same: 2019 Outdoor Temp Sensor

Apparently the logic is patented and applied across many different automotive brands.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a look at the following, not exactly the same pdf as what I originally found before but logic looks to be pretty much the same: 2019 Outdoor Temp Sensor

Apparently the logic is patented and applied across many different automotive brands.

Wow I never expected the temperature reading to be so complex. Guess my car was in “traffic jam mode” lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts