Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at the sticker on the driver’s door jamb for correct tire pressure when I noticed this sticker by Spireon. I didn’t have a clue what it was until I googled it. It’s a GPS tracker installed by “buy here pay here lots”. Also it only came with 1 key fob which is almost the same exact story as this guy. Kahu by Spireon Came With My Truck from Fair Oaks Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, and I'm Not Happy | Out Motorsports
I have no idea if this thing is still attached somewhere or if they took it off before they sold it to Carvana. Has anyone had any experience with these trackers?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My dealer charged a couple hundred bucks for a Kahu on my new Pilot. Of course I said I didn’t want it and didn’t pay for that. I got a one year free trial but haven’t used it yet. My dealer said that they take apart the dash when they install a kahu, but I doubt they take apart the whole dashboard for every single car.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
Not uncommon for Buy Here Pay Here lots. Around here the installation can also depend on your credit history. They are installed so repossessing the vehicle make it easy to find if the purchaser fails to keep up payments. Some of the lots use a different device that has a small number pad on it. Once a month when you make your payment, they give you a code number to keep the vehicle running for another month. Miss a payment and the vehicle will not start and is easy to find so the lot can pick it up.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Usually it's a tap off on the OBDII wiring .. look at the port from the back end under the dash ...

Reactions: Icedogg23

·
Administrator
5,112 Posts
They’re monitoring this forum.
Oh No! 😯 That means that those dirty reds have discovered our most precious and guarded secret...Maxlife ATF Fluid. The survival of the free world depends on Maxlife. From now on everyone must refer to it as Lifegiving Blood and drain and fills as Transfusions. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have good credit and bought 2021 from a reputable dealer. I popped the panel below the steering wheel off (I’m planning for dash cam and trailer brake controller) and saw “something” zip tied-not exactly Honda factory. The wiring harness was the OBD port replaced and the factory OBD plugged into the harness. If you look at the picture you will see 4 wires to the gps unit-2 for power, 2 for remote engine kill. Bic lighter for scale. Notice the IMEI sticker- I also found a sticker on the outside of the windshield below the VIN plate. Maybe I’ll put the SIM card in an old phone!
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Cable Wire Flooring
Office supplies Rectangle Material property Cosmetics Font

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
643 Posts
I have good credit and bought 2021 from a reputable dealer. I popped the panel below the steering wheel off (I’m planning for dash cam and trailer brake controller) and saw “something” zip tied-not exactly Honda factory. The wiring harness was the OBD port replaced and the factory OBD plugged into the harness. If you look at the picture you will see 4 wires to the gps unit-2 for power, 2 for remote engine kill. Bic lighter for scale. Notice the IMEI sticker- I also found a sticker on the outside of the windshield below the VIN plate. Maybe I’ll put the SIM card in an old phone! View attachment 153325 View attachment 153326

That is very strange.

·
Administrator
5,112 Posts
If I had to hazard a guess, I think someone forgot to remove this before delivery. It's not uncommon these days for dealers, at least some dealers to put such devices in new cars before they are sold. Especially since a lot of dealers no longer let the sales people go with the prospective customer for the test drive.

Easy way to locate and even kill a wayward vehicle in the hands of someone who thought they could borrow the vehicle, for a time at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts