Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new driveway installed 5 months ago and can't help but notice how my tires are leaving a bunch of tread marks on it now. Its like the driveway is wearing off the tire tread. I've never seen anything like this before. And it stops at the street. Since I need to make a 90 degree turn to get in and out of the garage, I'm obviously driving pretty slow. Is there any sealant I can apply to reduce the abrasiveness of the brush marks without totally defeating the traction as there is a slight incline to the driveway? I think the installer used a fairly good, and hard cement to do this job.

IMG_2260.JPG IMG_2261.JPG

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I had a new driveway installed 5 months ago and can't help but notice how my tires are leaving a bunch of tread marks on it now. Its like the driveway is wearing off the tire tread. I've never seen anything like this before. And it stops at the street. Since I need to make a 90 degree turn to get in and out of the garage, I'm obviously driving pretty slow. Is there any sealant I can apply to reduce the abrasiveness of the brush marks without totally defeating the traction as there is a slight incline to the driveway? I think the installer used a fairly good, and hard cement to do this job.

View attachment 147421 View attachment 147422
How old are your tires?

·
Registered
180 Posts
My wife complains about this because I have soft tires on my VW. You're not even supposed to drive on them under 32 degrees. On Amazon they have a product that says this amongst the questions...

This sealer alone won't prevent tire marks, but if you 2 coat it with this and then apply 2 coats of the AR350 Satin Sheen Wet Look Concrete & Paver Coating and let it dry for 48-72 hrs. you can prevent tire marks on most concrete. If you have very light colored concrete you still might see some light tire marks depending on how hard you are turning on it. My driveway is a darker grey color and I have Zero tire marks and it's been 7 mo. using the 2 coat method as described.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCC5OZY/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
I don't have a concrete drive but the in laws do and no tire marks like this
last time I looked.
there are thousands of miles of roads paved with concrete and I will have to look more carefully at them next time.

Right now, I am wondering what the installer did in their choice of concrete for your driveway that could have caused this. Yup, there are many many different versions of concrete dependent on intended usage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I've been googling, You Tubing and searching like crazy about this the last few days. It seems that tire marks on cement are more common than I realized. Guess I never paid attention to it until I experienced it myself. The light colored concrete is probably a factor in my case. Nonetheless I am going to try cleaning it and applying a sealer to see if that helps any ... just as soon as I figure out which products to use. Thanks for the suggestion Jicafold

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Looks normal to me... broom finished concrete provides more grip but is also subject to tire marks, especially low speed or stopped while turning the wheels. You need to give the concrete enough time before sealing it, the sealer should say it if not do some searching.

My concrete driveway is 60ish years old so the top has smoothed quite a bit and it doesn't hold marks like that. My parents and one of my uncles both had concrete driveway put in the last few years and the broom finish on both of them shows a lot of rubber marks.

Reactions: The Todd
1 - 8 of 8 Posts