Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
No matter what you’ve heard, premium-grade gasoline won’t do more to clean deposits from your fuel injectors or other parts of the fuel system because today’s regular gas contains the same detergent additives.
The same additives, perhaps, but not necessarily in the same concentration.
For example, premium-grade Shell V-Power NiTRO+ has seven times the cleaning agents required to meet federal standards.
Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I just think there's a societal consensus not to give any under fourteens any more bad ideas than they already might have or "challenges."

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Wow this thing is still going.

My Civic Si called for premium when I had it, so I put premium in. My '06 Accord with the same engine family (K series) but a substantially different tune and lower compression ratio called for regular, so that's what I fed it. Just do what the damn manual calls for in each car and I promise it will be happy. Engineers aren't as dumb as everyone thinks.

"challenges."
My 8 year old is no longer allowed to say that word. We stopped Youtube Kids years ago but a lot of her friends watch it still and all they talk about are these stupid challenges. "Who can sit in a car the longest". Who can stand on one leg the longest? Who can impale themselves with the largest stick? Pure idiocrasy.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Just do what the damn manual calls for in each car and I promise it will be happy. Engineers aren't as dumb as everyone thinks.
The engineers are brilliant. I’m sure they were top of their class. It’s quite obvious they didn’t always have the consumers best interest in mind. So people question the manual which is not always completely forth telling or clear.
This semi-retired traveling salesman with a 12th grade education says more ethanol is bad for your engine despite the higher octane rating.
Forehead Nose Cheek Chin Hairstyle

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
The engineers are brilliant. I’m sure they were top of their class. It’s quite obvious they didn’t always have the consumers best interest in mind. So people question the manual which is not always completely forth telling or clear.
This semi-retired traveling salesman with a 12th grade education says more ethanol is bad for your engine despite the higher octane rating.
View attachment 153713
As an engineer, I have definitely learned that those that dislike engineers will dislike them no matter what reasoning or logic can be used to defend their decisions. It's easier to let the laypeople think they know better and move on to the next task. ;)

BUT, I'll give it a crack here. Do you have any idea how many targets the powertrain engineers are trying to hit while they finalize the parts and tuning on an engine? Corrosion, reliability, efficiency, power, multiple fuel types, etc. When an engine is designed purely for one thing (like power), they can do that thing incredibly well. But how many Top Fuel dragster engines can run for more than 10 minutes before needing major work done? The balancing act (and at these huge car companies run by the bean counters and lawyers, that's right I just blamed accountants and lawyers for making the engineer's life miserable) is when you end up with millions of engines that can do a lot of things well but are masters of none. Sure, many new engines will run E85 for 100,000 miles no problem. And it will run E free. And it will last that long with nary a hiccup.

Cars today, particularly the engines (but transmissions still elude quite a few manufacturers) are engineered and manufactured quite well compared the beloved small block Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts