Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L and 2019 Chev Corvette 2LT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a lot of gas stations now with the unleaded 88 octane (15% ethanol). It's quite a bit cheaper. Has anyone put this gas in their Pilot? I have a 2004. I've read that any car produced after 2001 can run on it. My questions are, 1) is there an advantage? 2) is there a disadvantage? 3) is there a milage hit that would make up for the cheaper cost? 4) do you get better mileage? 5) Do you notice any change is the way the engine runs, harder or easier starting?

Thanks in advance
Ron

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,969 Posts
For what it's worth, this is what Honda says in the 2004 OM.
Font Publication Document Parallel

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
More ethanol is bad for your engine regardless of any octane increase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm seeing a lot of gas stations now with the unleaded 88 octane (15% ethanol). It's quite a bit cheaper. Has anyone put this gas in their Pilot? I have a 2004. I've read that any car produced after 2001 can run on it. My questions are, 1) is there an advantage? 2) is there a disadvantage? 3) is there a milage hit that would make up for the cheaper cost? 4) do you get better mileage? 5) Do you notice any change is the way the engine runs, harder or easier starting?

Thanks in advance
Ron
For what it's worth, this is what Honda says in the 2004 OM.
View attachment 153509
Thanks I did read that in my OM. I was thinking that the book was written before they had the 15% stuff. I'm going to stick with the 87 Octane

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,969 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Long discussion about performance and suitability of ethanol from late last year.

The simple answer to all your questions is "It depends." Read the thread to sort out what might make a difference for you.

There are lots of places in the high-elevation west selling 85 octane fuel with ethanol. My first gen does fine on that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if you were driving modern vehicles you wouldn't have to worry about it.
I do drive a modern car. My other car is a 2019 Corvette Stingray 2LT. I use the Honda mostly as an airport car when I have to do some flying in the company Citation CJ3+ or to tow my BMW R1200RT motorcycle if need be. I like the Pilot, it has served me well, I take care of it, and had no problems with it. I feel better now, how about you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long discussion about performance and suitability of ethanol from late last year.

The simple answer to all your questions is "It depends." Read the thread to sort out what might make a difference for you.

There are lots of places in the high-elevation west selling 85 octane fuel with ethanol. My first gen does fine on that.
Thanks, after reading these replies and doing some more research I'll stick with the 87 octane. If I have to do some higher elevation or heavy towing, I'll throw in some 89 or 91.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Are you saying you're ready to let go of your cream puff, low mileage, dealer pampered syn-blend/dw-1 2003 Pilot EX? It's possible your Pilot may not qualify as a "clunker" unless the rules have changed.
The (hypothetical) new round of "cash for clunkers" would apply to those vehicles that can't run on anything greater than E10, and the trade-in allowance would have be applied toward some sort of electrified vehicle - either hybrid, PHEV or full-electric.
It'll be a while before this can happen due to the chip shortage, and by that time my Pilot will be close to needing another timing belt change and a new set of tires.
Hopefully, some version of a hybrid or PHEV Pilot should be available by then.
Failing that, I'll get an antique/classic auto plate and keep the 2003 until it disintegrates.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
he trade-in allowance would have be applied toward some sort of electrified vehicle - either hybrid, PHEV or full-electric.
And in my case, I'll be holding out for hydrogen. :)

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
You and Toyota.
Are there any retail hydrogen refueling stations anywhere near you?
Toyota and Hyundai, and some local industrial players, and the gov't. There's already a station in Quebec City, and a couple more are expected to be operational by March, including in Montreal.

If you read French... https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2021/01/18/quebec-injecte-15m-dans-la-filiere-hydrogene

If not... Hydrogène Québec

And it's one thing to start building a network of stations, but you also have to supply them.

I was a voice crying in the wilderness years before.

Still keeping my Pilot for a good while, though. :)

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts