Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying NavTool and mostly happy with it, the low audio finally did me in and I looked for other solutions. I ended ordering this universal CarPlay display from Amazon. I got it I’m the mail last night and right away I installed it in the Pilot but was let down by it as well. It was having problems reconnecting and the aux audio was horrible, and the display speaker was playing in conjunction. All mids/highs, no bass.

I was set to return it to Amazon today but I saw a post by a friend that she was having CarPlay trouble after she updated to iOS 16. There was a toggle that she had to turn on in settings under screen time.

Anyways, I remembered that I was still running iOS 16 Beta, so decided to update to the official iOS 16 release and check this setting. Boom, iPhone was reconnecting to the CarPlay display no problem!

Now for the audio part, I decided to try the Bluetooth connectivity for audio since I have a small BT receiver, and VOILA! Great sounding audio too! If you have a 2012 or newer, then you have BT audio so you don’t need a BT dongle.

I Installed it in front of the factory nav screen. Maybe one day I’ll have a professional installer fabricate me some kind of bezel to make it look more OEM, but I’m happy for now! And it was just under $200 for the device.

It’s powered by USB-C , has USB-C input for wired CarPlay, microSD slot,. I have the power cable tucked away.

Next on my list to do is to tap into the factory nav display and get the video signal for the backup camera and connect it to this display.
Automotive design Audio equipment Steering wheel Electronic device Car

·
Registered
2014 Pilot EX-L
1 Posts
This looks great and it is nice to get a look at how it integrates into the dash setup. I have been looking at the Carpuride units for a few days now as CarPlay is the thing that I miss the most when I switch from driving our '21 CR-V Hybrid to the Pilot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This looks great and it is nice to get a look at how it integrates into the dash setup. I have been looking at the Carpuride units for a few days now as CarPlay is the thing that I miss the most when I switch from driving our '21 CR-V Hybrid to the Pilot.

NavTool has a bad rep, but it works great for me except that really low audio, so had to find something else.
This has an input for a backup camera, I just have to figure out where to tap into the factory camera signal to get that working. I might just 3D print a bezel for this in my manufacturing class one of these days and make it look more OEM.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You would need to remove the top cover above display unit by sliding it towards rear of the car. Large connector (28P) going into the display unit is the one you tap into.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

Relevant pins:
Pin 12 (green) Camera power ground
Pin 13 (blue) Camera video signal (to RCA connector pin)
Pin 26 (white) +8V camera power.
Pin 27 (red) Camera signal ground (to the RCA connector ring)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked on Amazon on the CarPlay I bought is on sale right now for $120 😡😁
I paid $180.

KUNFINE Universal Linux 7.2 Inches IPS HD (1280 * 768) Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto Pad for Car/Truck/Bike/Bus. https://a.co/d/3C13GfG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You would need to remove the top cover above display unit by sliding it towards rear of the car. Large connector (28P) going into the display unit is the one you tap into.
View attachment 162383
Relevant pins:
Pin 12 (green) Camera power ground
Pin 13 (blue) Camera video signal (to RCA connector pin)
Pin 26 (white) +8V camera power.
Pin 27 (red) Camera signal ground (to the RCA connector ring)
Thank you!!!

Gonna order the 2.5mm cable that I need to do this now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts