Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found something great for the PILOTeers. I don't know if this has been posted yet or not. I ordered a Cellphone Handsfree kit from Precision Electronics Interfaces, Inc. This unit is simple to install...not cutting or splicing.

Here are just a few of the SpeakeasyTM System Features:

*SpeakeasyTM integrates directly to the factory audio system
*Provides automatic radio muting on incoming and outgoing calls

*Creates a convenient cellular phone "port" for your vehicle

*Provides a privacy button that switches from the audio system to an earpiece

*Provides battery charging for most cellular phones

The vehicle-specific, "Plug and Play" wiring harness plugs directly into the back of the factory radio for easy installation and removal with no wire splicing.

The "Plug and Play" feature utilizing the factory audio system is not only a "FIRST" in the cellular accessory industry, but it will not void factory warranties and makes it a perfect choice for leased vehicles.

The Control Module features connections for the microphone, an earphone, phone adapter and LED status indicator

If your family has different makes and models of cellular phones, simply purchase the appropriate phone-specific adapters for each cellular phone and plug it directly into the phone adapter.

I ordered the following items to complete my kit:
SE-2: Nokia 6360 Phone Specific Adapter (My Phone)
SE-9: Nokia 8269 Phone Specific Adapter (Wife's Phone)
HON-98: 20-Pin Vehicle Harness for PILOT
PIE-SC-B1: Control Module (Brains)
A LED is also available.

All for $ 136.24 delivered

It should arrive soon. I plan to install it immediately and update you on the install ease and quality. Email me & I will give you the appropriate links...I don't know if I should place them on this site or not.

Why pay HONDA for an install when you can do it yourself?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did they verify the HON-98 part?

It appears that all the newer Honda's have gone to the 20-pin Vehicle Harness on the radio unit head (at least according to the pie.net website). However, I'm curious if they actually verified it works on a Pilot. I'd be very surprised if it works on ALL new Honda's EXCEPT the Pilot....but you never know. And it is a little strange that it doesn't have a port for an external antenna.....seem like they thought of everything important....except that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another thing....

From looking at the picture posted above, it looks like this unit will not "steal" any of the existing connections on the radio head unit.....it just runs in "series" with the existing vehicle connection. That's a good thing for us people that are worried that we might use up all our options. For example, I'm already using the CD-changer connection for my CD-changer. I've heard of other 3-rd party "boxes" that can use the CD changer connection for other purposes.....such as an MP3 player....etc. In the future, I still plan on adding a DVD system. Wouldn't it be great to see a few DVD system manufacturers follow the lead of pie.net and connect into the things we already have.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kit is in!

The SPeakeasy Kit came in today. I plan to install it this week and post some installation pictures. I will let you know what kind of quality it is.:1:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photos of Speakeasy Handsfree Kit

Here is a photo of the product prior to installation. Yhis should not take long at all to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steve : Great Post. I have tried several that work on FM modulator, they all are very bad.
Give us your feed back on ease of istallation and use, once you install it.

Thanks.

KE

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installation Complete

KE,

I installed the Handsfree Kit Saturday, and everything went perfect. It took maybe 15 minutes. The majority of the time was spent routing the microphone and the phone plug.

I have only one concern. The woofer connections are not on the 20 pin connector. Therefore, you must turn the volume of the radio down when you use the handsfree kit. I will talk to pie.net to see if they have an accessory cable to correct this. The DVD headset works while the call is on the front speakers. One good thing about this kit is that you can adjust the volume and mic controls to suit you on the control box. Both cradles and both phones...(8260, 6360) work perfectly. I haven't decided if I want to install the LED though.I routed the cable plug throught the bottom opening of the NOT AN ASHTRAY.

I will post pics later.

Steve:2: :29:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Woofer Fix is on the way.

I spoke with PIE today regarding the propblem with the woofer not muting during a call. They understand the problem and are working on a fix to make it fullproof. Other than that minor inconvenience, the kit is great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steve :

Thanks for the details. Can any body install this kit without much trouble. What are the steps involved ? I am not a great handy man.

Thanks in advance.

KE

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Simple

It is simple to install. Remove the radio trim, then remove 4 screw from the radio mount. The radio and mount will now slide out. Unplug the 20-pin harness from the radio. Plug the radio harness into the Speakeasy harness. Plug the Speakeasy harness into the radio and route the Control Unit harness behind the radio down toward the floor. Route your mic and phone adapter and you are finished.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honda kit looks like pie kit?

I printed the instruction from the college hills sitye and it looks like the set up is identical.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installation

The instructions basically reference the Accord. That means that they do not address the subwoofer being on a different cable. They should be almost identical, except for the prices of the phone attachments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pilot instructions available at CHH

Printed out the instructions from College Hill. Loo0ks like a pain in the ass. I think I'd customize it heavily. I'd put the mike in the a pillar, and probably move the universal plu out of the center arm rest since the phone holder sucks to use. I'd mount the plug deep in the large lower bin under the ash tray or something so the phone can be move around an accessed easily. The phone holder doesn't allow for easy dialing, nor does the cord recoil or store readily.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
whiteEXL,

I don't like the mic placement either in the instructions. However, I do like keeping the phone in the center console to hide the power cord when the phone is not in use. Obviously it's your choice where you want to put the phone and perhaps you don't mind the power coil plugged into the power outlet next to the ash tray.

I do agree that it is inconvenient to dial with the phone in the center console holder.

Just my $0.02.

Let us know if you go through with the installation. That seems like a pain to install. Good luck!

-Pj

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
woofer?

whiteEXL,

What are you planning to do about the woofer problem? Will you have to turn down the radio like I do with the Speakeasy? I just talked to Pro-fit today. The should have a vehicle specific mount for the Pilot by 2003.

As far as my Pilot, I just ran the plug under the not an ashtray and plug whichever phone I use into it. I then lay the phone on the center console. I will most likely add a mount (adhesive) with a universal cradle to the center portion later. My microphone is on the driver's side pillar. It is easy to remove. I also have my XM antenna routed from the back of the Pilot to the XM tuner down this pillar.

I will try to post pictures.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts