Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I don't post very often at all so apologies if this is a well known issue that other people have already figured out.

So, I was one of the early adopters of the 3rd gen Pilot back in 2015 and have loved everything about this car except for the brakes. The brakes have never had the nice, linear feeling of good ones in other cars. So, stopping smoothly always takes more effort than should be necessary. I also drive a B8 Audi S4 and 5th gen Toyota 4Runner, and both of those cars are leagues better in brake feel compared to the Pilot. I have always chalked this up to just bad design and never really considered that changing the pads/rotors would make any meaningful difference.

Well, 5 years and 85k miles later, I finally decided to change the rotors and pads anyway with Centric GCX rotors and Centric PQ PRO pads--and hoped for the best. Note that my stock brakes still had more than 50% of pad thickness remaining, so I didn't change it because the pads were worn--I just got tired of the crappy brake feel. Now that I have the Centrics in... I am kicking myself and wondered why it took me 5 years to do this! The pedal response is now smooth, and stopping power is very linear! I am amazed that changing pads/rotors made this much difference. I'm even more puzzled as to why Honda put such crappy OEM brake pads to begin with.

TL;DR - if you are unhappy with your stock brakes, change your pads and rotors! The Centrics are great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the dust with those Posi-Quiets?
I would say they are adequate... I can go about ~800 miles before I notice dust in the front. But I usually wash it at about that interval anyway. Not as good as the stock, but it's a compromise I am more than happy to make.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So, where did you buy from? I am in the market for at least new rotors. Honda dealer today told me they could rotate the rotors, rear only for $140.00. I said no thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, where did you buy from? I am in the market for at least new rotors. Honda dealer today told me they could rotate the rotors, rear only for $140.00. I said no thanks.
rockauto.com. I spent less than $200 shipped for all 4 corners' rotors and pads.

·
Registered
813 Posts
How is the noise and dust on these new rotors? I might change mine too as long as it doesn’t have too many downsides compared to OEM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the noise and dust on these new rotors? I might change mine too as long as it doesn’t have too many downsides compared to OEM.
There's zero noise, and dust level is adequate as I said above. It's more dust than stock, but doesn't build up that quickly compared to my S4. For me, it's a very good tradeoff--the brake pedal feel is worlds better than stock.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
I just did a similar swap to my front brakes on my 2008. Braking feels much better and a bit stronger. They do leave quite a bit of dust, but I’d rather have good feeling brakes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the Centric brakes. Would you mind providing an update in a month or so when they're thoroughly broken in? I'm asking because I've installed brakes that had a great "bite" when new but changed a bit after they were worn in for 500 miles or so. It's always good to have that data point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the Centric brakes. Would you mind providing an update in a month or so when they're thoroughly broken in? I'm asking because I've installed brakes that had a great "bite" when new but changed a bit after they were worn in for 500 miles or so. It's always good to have that data point.
Well, it has been almost a month. It was about 3 weeks ago when I installed them actually. And I have driven it quite a bit... so I feel like I am past the bedding in period.

Also, I have Centrics in my Audi S4 as well. Those have been great also, but for some reason they dust more than the ones in the Pilot. Count me in as a Centric fan :)

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
If Honda fitted those brakes to the Pilot as original equipment, then every "Karen" that owned a Pilot would be complaining to Honda about the brake dust on their wheels.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm about 1,500 miles of hard driving on mine so far. I think the bite has faded slightly, but it is still MUCH better than it was.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I'm still happy with my Raybestos Element3 Brake pads and rotors. I wouldn't necessarily change the rotors unless there was a mechanical need. No dust problems.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
OP, you're preaching to the choir. In fact, you're preaching to the preacher. I've been spreading the good word about the Centric brakes and rotors from RockAuto ever since I put them on about two and a half years ago. Still satisfied and feel the improvement after OEM then "economy" RA sets were so disappointing for an otherwise great vehicle.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I just had my tires rotated and the wheels that were in the rear are now covered in brake dust. Not a huge deal to me, but if that kind of thing bothers you, then it might be worthwhile to look elsewhere. My priority is confidence that when I put my foot on the brake pedal, it will quickly stop my large SUV, not cosmetics.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Got this in the Rockauto September Newsletter:

From September 3rd through the 17th, 2020, Centric is offering RockAuto customers an exclusive 10% instant rebate on their entire line of Posi-Quiet (PQ) Pro brake pads.[...] Simply put any set of PQ Pro brake pads in your cart to instantly save 10% off RockAuto's already reliably low prices!
RockAuto September Newsletter | Early Edition

Hopefully this is even on top of our Piloteers 5% discount.

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts