Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn!
I did my first internet purchase....scared as I was....but because of the many good suggestions and comments and everything on this board I did it! (not blaming yall) However, I purchased some crossbars for my pilot from tim at Hondacuraworld on Jun 9th. The bars came in on monday june 16th. The box was partially opened and the hardware bag (with all the screws and stuff) was stappled to the OUTSIDE OF THE BOX!!!) I took pictures of the box tuesday morning when I got to my office(where I have a digital camera) to show the condition the box was in. I emailed tim that morning and sent him the pictures. I told him that I would be taking my truck in to have the dealer put the bars on but that I was concerned about the condition of the box and missing parts if any. Since there were no instructions in the box (which was indicated on the outside of the box) How would I know if indeed anything was missing. Tim replied: (on tuesday)

>The best thing to do is to print out the instructions online on the >www.hondacuraworld.com site, and check them >against the items in the shipment. Please
>let me know immediately if something is missing.

>Best Regards,
>Tim Poliniak
>Hondacuraworld The best thing to do is to print out the >instructions online on the www.hondacuraworld.com >site, and check them against the items in the shipment. Please
>let me know immediately if something is missing.

So I did IMMEDIATELY go to the website print the insturctions that listed the parts (4 tork bolts 4 washers 4 lock washers and 4 of those other square looking bolts and of course the two crossbars on long and one short. BUT when I opened the hardware bag that was attached to the OUTSIDE of the box everything was there except ONE TORX BOLT!!! I immediately wrote back to TIM to tell him like he requested that the bolt was missing. I even took pictures and sent them. Again this was on TUESDAY afternoon. I left work at 5:30 and had not heard from tim until the next morning when I came to work and checked my email. He said:

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:05:43 EDT
>
>I'll get it out today for you, what is your full name?
>
>Best Regards,
>Tim Poliniak
>Hondacuraworld

It is now FRIDAY morning. I had to take my truck in at 7:30 this morning and explain to the guys at the service that the crossbars I DIDN'T buy from THEM, beause I was "saving" money was missing one torx srew and the guy I bought them from was "suppose" to be sending me a replacement but I have not recieved it could your service area please let me use a screw and I'll replace it when MINE gets here!!!! First he gave me the look of "well you GET what you pay for" (which I don't blame him for...because I was thinking the SAME THING!!!) Then being the nice people they are he said I'll let the guys know, I'm sure they have one!

Now what REALLY tee's me off is that I SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD TO DO THIS. Tim knew I needed that bolt friday I told him that was when I would be taking my truck in. Why was it not FED-EX'd NEXT DAY to me!!! When he said he'd "get it out to me today(which was a wed) SURELY he didn't mean by REGULAR MAIL.

Anyhoo, hopefully everything is going okay with the install today, it's 10:30am and they haven't called to give me anymore BAD NEWS!

Well folks, I really appreciate the advise I've gotten here, I'll continue to "browse" and "input", but I'm don't with the internet purchasing. No matter how good the deal is. To me it's just to impersonal and I feel like I don't have the same recourse as I do with a "face to face" purchase.

Also this is not a BASH of internet purchasing or HAW, many of you have been HUGELY satisfied, (lucky you) It's just not for me.

Thanks to many.

Texi.

p.s. I'm going to try to include the pictures I took of the package and how it arrived at my home. If it doesn't work will someone email me and tell me how to do it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There can be only two possibilities for the box to arrive in a partially opened shape. Either Tim sent it like that, or it was damaged and ended up like that by the delivery company. Speaking from experience of having ordered and received a few merchandises which were ordered via the internet, my money's on the delivery company :4:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Tim packs his stuff pretty well -- always inside. UPS does thrash the boxes (especially the heavy or larger ones), that's for sure, which is why he suggests checking the contents against the instructions/parts list (which he actually DOES include in the box; Honda doesn't which is why it says that on the box). I'd guess that when the box split and the h/w bag came out, UPS stapled the bag to the box.

Based on experience, you can be assured Tim will take care of you should anything be missing or damaged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Satisfied

I ordered the sames part a couple weeks ago. My box came opened as well. I think with two occurances, it was shipped that way.

However, it states on the box there are no instructions (since they are a dealer accessory, that didn't surprise me). It is assumed that the dealers have the instructions they need so they don't include it.

If you haven't already taken it to the dealer, do as Tim said. Download the instructions from the web site and do it yourself. I'm not sure what they quoted you but it is VERY easy and only takes about 20 minutes (and that's being VERY careful).

All in all, very satisfied with the purchase, but I do agree that maybe Tim should check the boxes before shipment. Maybe the boxes are not sealed very well when he receives them but I too was concerned that something may be missing. Fortunantly, everything was there.

john

·
Registered
483 Posts
TheWorm said:
Tim packs his stuff pretty well -- always inside. UPS does thrash the boxes (especially the heavy or larger ones), that's for sure, which is why he suggests checking the contents against the instructions/parts list (which he actually DOES include in the box; Honda doesn't which is why it says that on the box). I'd guess that when the box split and the h/w bag came out, UPS stapled the bag to the box.

Based on experience, you can be assured Tim will take care of you should anything be missing or damaged.
I just received my Sidesteps from Tim and everything was there and packaged neatly, but there were no instructions enclosed. I was at the Honda dealership and they printed me a set.

I dont understand why Honda wouldn't insert a the instructions in each box, what is this, a cost saving measure? How much could they be saving from a piece of paper ( ok, and the cost of someone to put it in there), as a consumer, this is frustrating from the standpoint of the hassle it takes just to obtain a set of instructions!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry guys I hit something and the post POSTED, I have not finished the story, I'm trying right now to include the pictures. Stay tuned I'm trying

texi

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you considered putting these on yourself? These can't be that difficult to put on, I believe some of our members have stated they take around 30 min. or so.

With the money you save from putting these on yourself, you can buy more accessories. I can understand your dis-pleasure when you saw your crossbars arrive in that condition, I'm sure Tim would never have sent that package to you in that condition, that had to have happened from the delivery company. I hope everything is there for you, best of luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naw, I didn't by them with the intentions of putting them on my self. I've read the horror storys on how hard it is to get that clip thingy off. Someone had posted some excellent pictures of it. Anyhoo, it's only going to be 23.00 for the labor, plus I get 10 percent of that when I use my "honda service club card" It was part of their "sales pitch" when we bought it. Howdy's a good place, however they wanted 170.00 for the crossbars and again that was discounted because we bought from them. In fact when I told him I'd probably just order them off the internet...he agreed! (they're really good guys there)

·
Registered
747 Posts
CoPilter

Sorry to hear this story, maybe internet order parts is just not for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had great success ordering from www.handa-accessories.com His prices are the lowest I've found and his shipping charges are reasonable. Some places want to charge you $15 per item. When I ordered the cross bars and mudflaps the total combined shipping charge was $12. I've placed two orders from them. Both were shipped regular UPS and I received them two days after I placed the order. The instructions aren't included, but they have them on their web page.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
TheWorm said:
Tim packs his stuff pretty well -- always inside. UPS does thrash the boxes (especially the heavy or larger ones), that's for sure...
We make Internet purchases at least a couple times each month and I've noticed the same thing - the UPS packages are generally more beat up and dirty than the FeEx and USPS packages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REALLY UNHAPPY

Okay Now I'm REALLY MAD :3:

Service people just called me to tell me the couldn't install my cross bars since the bolt was missing. They didn't have any extra's lying around. (I'm sure they don't) WHEN THEY SELL THEIRS, THEY INCLUDE ALL THE PARTS. THE CUSTOMER ISN'T LEFT HANGING (yes I meant to yell)
Tim this is UNEXCEPTABLE. Now I HAVE NOTHING TO ATTACH MY ROOF CARRIER TO!!!! SO THE MAIN PURPOSE OF ME GETTING A CARRIER IS NOW MUTE. I CAN'T EVEN *:3: USE IT!

OBVIOUSLY others have had this problem with their "payed" for items being shipped POORLY. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. I'M SCREWED FOR THIS TRIP HOW WILL YOU RECTIFY THIS.........OR AM I JUST UP THE CREEK AND YOU COULD GIVE A ***
well.

Thanks everyone else for your support and suggestions. I'm sorry if this post offends some but really really upset.

texi

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
CoPiloter, I can certainly see why you'd be so upset over this, especially since you had planned a trip using the roof carrier. Just a thought, probably a long shot, but is there anyway you can ask your dealer, if they have the crossbars in stock, to use one of the bolts from that and promise them that you'll bring in the bolt just in a few days when you receive it?

I know nobody likes having to do something like this, but that's the only I can think of. Sorry to hear that you have to go through something like this. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

Yall are so nice on this board. I started not to write anything thinking I'd get responses like "you need to chill" "calm down" I'm so glad that a lot of you understand. It's just frustrating. I'm sitting hear crying because of your email and the fact that so many of you are suggesting ways to help me out, but the very one that SHOULD be consoling me has flown the coop I guess.

You all are lovely people
Thank you.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I wonder whether you might be able to find a same-sized bolt @ a Home Depot or hardware store near the dealer. At least you'd be able to get it installed NOW while you're there, and then you could just swap that one bolt out when the MIA bolt arrives (unless, of course, the bolt is identical color, in which case you wouldn't have to bother)?

Hope you get it worked out.

(p.s. feeling at a bit of a disadvantage since I answered your first post before you had finished it)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used both handa-accessories.com and hondacura world, I bought running boards, rear mud guards and all weather mats plus cargo liner from handa-accessories, the prices were cheaper and the packages came thru fine, shipping was reasonable but it took forever to get from west coast to east coast, almost a week. I bought wind deflector and crossbars from hondacura world, when you take shipping into account their prices are the same if not better than handa-accessories, plus since they are located in New York the shipping took only two days, I guess I'm not too patient, the deflector was delivered fine but when I got the cross bars the parts bag was hanging out of the top, luckily nothing was missing. When I purchase another accessory I will probably get it from hondacura because of price and convenience. Obviously the packaging on the crossbars is defective, I think it is probably a factory problem, both companies used UPS.

P.S. you should put the cross bars on yourself it was way easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your dealer most likely has the bolt's you need. If your willing to give him the install, he should be willing to supply a bolt (That you'll give back when received from Tim).

Talk to your dealer again, if they are as good as you claimed, someone should be able to help you since your needs are more immediate.

my 2cents anyway.
john

·
Registered
415 Posts
Maybe the dealer isn't as good as you thought. It makes good business sense for the dealer to go ahead and install it using one of their hardware in stock and then, after the install is complete, tell you what they did. That kind of gesture would surely make you a regular at their service department, don't you think?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.