Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a few days I've been hearing the telltale sound of the worn pads from the driver side rear.
Today I took the wheel off and saw, that the inner pad with the gong was down to its lowest 1/16" while the outer pad was like new. It probably lost 1/8" or less of material.

The piston is free and slides in and out with ease.
The pins are free. I lubed them 4 years ago when they seized and have been checking them every spring and fall ever since. Mind you, this is the only caliper on the car which has ever seized.
The stainless pad guides are fine and I cleaned them with the handheld wire brush (not power) to only find a bit of pad dust, but otherwise they allow the pads to slide freely.

Am I facing the case of worn hub bearings? But my alignment is fine and tread wear is nearly non-existent. I get exceptionally long life out of the tires. The pads themselves wear evenly side to side and top to bottom. I hate these mysteries!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had this on my new to me 07 with 190 on the clock but the pins weren’t lubed and I bled the entire system with dot 4 and bought EBC hardware since I’m pretty sure the last owner just used no name brand and now it stops incredible and no more uneven brake wear. Hell im pretty sure the rears weren’t even engaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine stops very well as it is and I am baffled by this as I take good care of the calipers. Of course every time I made sure that when the pedal was depressed the caliper grabbed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ideas from experience with my 06 EX - things to try for easy to more expensive

Make sure you have caliper pins in right place (top vs bottom) - I think one with rubber tip goes in lower position - easy to swap positions when lubing pins

Clean and relube caliper pins with honda silicone grease - maybe your caliper lube is not right. May need to clean out inside hole in caliper bracket. Could be gunked up... Caliper lube is my bet for your problem.

Pin boots - clean a lube them inside and out - are they still soft and flexible? Be sure to squeeze air out when you put pins back in so can slide freely

Caliper piston rubber boot - clean and lube with silicone grease

Did you put M77 grease on ears/tabs of pads where they touch retainers? Pads have to slide freely there too

Pad retainers - have in correct position? They are different, not sure if they fit in wrong spot, but could be. May also need to be replaced - I replace when rotor is replaced.

Caliper pins - could need to be replaced, they get sliding/polishing wear, dunno.

Had similar issue, I recall that caliper pin clean and relube with honda silicone grease fixed it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My assumption was that if the pins slide easily in and out under the single finger's pressure, then the hydraulic pressure would work them properly.
I did not put any grease on the tabs of any of my vehicles in a quarter century and never had issues. I also do not recall the recommendation to do so coming with any pads. Any such grease would be washed away after a couple months of driving anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You are suppose to put M77 on the tabs. But I would not think it would cause it to bind that much if the stainless retainer plates were clean and in good shape. I confess that I use to not line the tabs and never really had really bad uneven wear. Some but not much. I would probably clean everything, lube it, put another set of pads on it and check the wear in about 10k. If it is still doing it I would replace the caliper.
Text Line art Illustration Font Art

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Stop going to Canadian tire ..do the brakes yourself at east you know they are done right!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wondered about the M77 on the pad tabs since it was not called for in the Honda service manual for our 19 Pilot (I put some on anyway since there was something on the pad side of retainer clips from the factory that sure looked like M77, but nothing on the pad tabs...) . I checked through the 3 service manuals I have to see:

06 Pilot: calls for M77 on pad tabs for front and rear

11 Odyssey: calls for M77 on pad tabs for front and rear (front brakes are very similar to 19 Pilot - same rotor part numbers in fact, pads are similar but not same part number)

19 Pilot: Does not call for M77 on pad tabs.

Honda may have changed their mind, dunno. Honda (made by Akebone) pad backing plates all seem to share same coating material and the retainer clips are all similar design and materials.

Honda does call for M77 under the retainer clips for all 3 models.

Just some info to share.

My hunch is that your caliper pins might be swapped top to bottom or pins are scored/worn/bent or just need more silicon lube.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The brake pads may have been redesigned like everything else in a new generation things change .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts