Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this driving around in the snow. It's now time to clean the underbody from all that road salt to prevent future rust or corrosion. The easiest way is this undercarriage washer. Here is what I used to clean without chemicals.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
With all this driving around in the snow. It's now time to clean the underbody from all that road salt to prevent future rust or corrosion. The easiest way is this undercarriage washer. Here is what I used to clean without chemicals.
OK, but when my outdoor faucet for my garden hose is turned off in the basement- like every winter so it doesn't freeze;

How in the *&& are you going to get water to power this thing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, but when my outdoor faucet for my garden hose is turned off in the basement- like every winter so it doesn't freeze;

How in the *&& are you going to get water to power this thing?
Here in Seattle our snow only lasts for days. I guess it all depends where you stay. Probably wait until winter season ends. Would not want the faucet to burst.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
First year we were in our home here in WI- large maples in the yard.
I installed these myself- no more gutter cleaning! FTW! LOL

Reactions: Floridapilot02

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Here in Seattle our snow only lasts for days. I guess it all depends where you stay. Probably wait until winter season ends. Would not want the faucet to burst.
That's also why I have a unlimited pass at the drive thru car wash 2 blocks from home.
Even if it's -10F- they're open. I have the 'underbody' wash added too!
LOTS of salt used here, LOTS of it!!

Otherwise, I would love to do this myself, with a device like you have pictured.

Reactions: Floridapilot02

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm, I have a heated garage with a utility sink. Only issue would be all that water going down the driveway in freezing temps. It's fairly steep so that could be interesting. My in-laws can't make it up it in their Taurus with just a light dusting of snow on it.

Guess I'll stick with The Todd's solution. Drive thru car wash 5 minutes from home.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Most of the brine they spray where I live is pretty much made to stick to surfaces and not come off when wet. I'm not sure how effective this would be without cleaning chemicals, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Truthfully, it looks like a pain, and I'd use it once and then let it collect dust.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
It's annoying enough getting all wet washing your car yourself when the weather's nice, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, but in the winter when it freezes, count me out. For all its critics, car washes with underspray are the answer for me for road salt season.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It's annoying enough getting all wet washing your car yourself when the weather's nice, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, but in the winter when it freezes, count me out. For all its critics, car washes with underspray are the answer for me for road salt season.
Some car washes recycle the water so you're forcing the last guy's salty water into the crevices on yours.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
First year we were in our home here in WI- large maples in the yard.
I installed these myself- no more gutter cleaning! FTW! LOL

I did you one better, I figured out where the leaves were coming from and had those trees removed. No more gutter cleaning! FTW! LOL LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I lived in a city where winter seasons are long and bad I would just go with Todd's solution. However, Seattle snow storms are not as bad as other places in the country. I do enjoy self cleaning my car from time to time so not really a hassle for me. The sprayer just makes it a little easier to reach the underbody. During warmer seasons I want to see how it does cleaning out mud or just using it as a water broom for the driveway.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Some car washes recycle the water so you're forcing the last guy's salty water into the crevices on yours.
If major gas station chains did that here, they'd face lawsuits, or worse: public shunning on the airwaves of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts