Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Haven't done it...yet

If it is a Honda changer p/n 08A26-181-100, then it should be no problem. You'll just need the install kit (brackets and cables) for the Pilot (I think it is p/n 08B26-SS9V-100 which you can buy for about $60). The cable from the install kit allows you to control the changer with the built in controls on the radio (not sure if the LX has controls, but the EX does).

Like I said in this other thread, I'm planning to install sometime in the near future. I just found the code card for the radio and now I need to order the kit.
If you get this done first, post the results :2:

I think there are some other threads discussing the under seat changer, but most people seem to have had it done at the dealer or in a shop. An Alpine CD changer is also directly compatible with stock radio controls.

...by the way, are you already an owner? If so, welcome and please add your info to the VIN table.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which CD Changer is best?

Which CD Changer is best - the Alpine or the Honda unit? I assume that both allow full use of the radio controls but am I correct in assuming that the Alpine needs the Blitzsafe adapter? On the other hand, I would imagine the Honda unit is far more expensive.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Comparisons

rlanggard,

Alpine CHA-S634 Features:

CD Shuttle
0°-90° Adjustable Mounting
24-Bit Digital Noise Shaping
5-Position Adjustable Mounting
6 Disc DT Mechanism
8x Oversampling
Ai-NET
CD TEXT
CD-R/RW Compatible
Disc Title Memory When Used with Ai-Shuttle Controllers
Dual Hybrid Dampers
Glitchless & Jitter-Free
Illuminated Eject Button
Intelligent Digital Servo Circuitry
M DAC
M.I.X. (Random Play)
MP3 Playback
STAR Circuitry
See Through Door
See Through Magazine
Silent Action
TPE Silicone-Oil Dampers

Specs:
CD Player

Channel Separation (1kHz) : 90dB
DAC Type : M DAC
Dynamic Range (1kHz) : 94dB
Frequency Response : 5Hz—20kHz
Number of DACs : 2
Oversampling : 8X/352.8kHz
Sampling Rate : 44.1kHz
Signal-to-Noise (SN) : 105dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) : 0.003 %
General-Head Units

Chassis Size (W x H x D)in : 10” x 6-7/16” x 2-1/2”
Chassis Size (W x H x D)mm : 255mm x 63mm x 163.3mm
Maximum Mounting Angle : 0° to 90° from Horizontal
Operating Temperature (°C/°F) : 60°C (140°F) to -10°C (14°F)
Power Requirement : 14.4V DC (11V to 16V)
Pre Output Voltage (Before Clipping) : 0.85 Volts
Weight : 1.7Kg (3lbs. 11 oz)

HONDA 08A26-1B1-100 Features:

DIRECT ACCESS AND SCAN FUNCTIONS facilitate selection of any
track on any disc.
SIX DISC capacity allows hours of continuous play.
REPEAT FUNCTION automatically replays a selected track.
SKIP AND SEARCH FUNCTIONS give access to any track, or
passage within a track.
THREE-BEAM LASER pickup with die-cast zinc chassis ensures
maximum stability, even on rough roads.
8X OVERSAMPLING AND 16-BIT LINEAR SYSTEM provides superior
audio reproduction for improved sound and clarity.
HIDDEN FROM VIEW, UNIT MOUNTS under front driver's
seat providing easy access for CD magazine changers.
OFFERS CONVENIENT DIRECT PUSH BUTTON selection of any disc.
INSTALLATION requires separate CD Change Attachment.

The major reason why I chose the Alpine CHA-S634 was the MP3 capability. Another reason is that I could find 1 for about $200.00 on eBay...much cheaper than the Honda.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blitzsafe Adapter

I see you have connected both the Alpine CD Changer and the Satellite radio to the Blitzsafe adapter. I wnat a changer, but I don't want satellite radio at this point. Can the input for the satellite radio be used as an aux input for a portable MP3 player instead? How much does the adapter cost?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
rlanggard, here's your solution.

rlanggard,

Blitzsafe does make an dual interface cable for this purpose. For the Pilot, it is called the HON /ALP DMXV.1D. This dual interface will allow you to interface an Alpine CD Changer & audio output from an MP3 Player (or DVD Player) to the Head Unit using the CD/Changer Button on the Head Unit.

It should cost around $100.00 and can be ordered from Blitzsafe directly by phone- (201) 569-5000 (AMEX only) or you could probably order it from one of your local Blitzsafe dealers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Text?

Steve,

How much text can you display on your head unit? This has always been a concern of mine. MP3 discs can have hundreds of songs, buried deep within folders. Finding them without a proper display would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Text

No text is displayed on the Head Unit for MP3's...just disc & track #. That is one of the trade-offs for keeping the OEM Head Unit. I just try to remember the track #'s of the ones that I listen to more frequently. I listen to XM most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: One more question.

btk467 said:
Hi all,

I am about to buy this package for MP3/CD changer installation.
Will I have problem with installation/using?

Interface Adapter http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehonpcalp.html

CD/MP3 changer http://www.logjamelectronics.com/alpinechas634.html

Alpine adapter http://www.logjamelectronics.com/alpinekca130b.html

Thanks a lot.
I would use this interface. Others in this forum have tried other interfaces & have had to switch to Blitzsafe interfaces because of the other ones not working correctly.

Link 1
Link 2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the info.
Cost of total package is about $350.
Is that a good price or You know better prices.

Victor

·
Registered
53 Posts
CD-Text

Does CD-Text show up on the factory head unit with the Apline CHA-S634 or just the CD & Track #'s?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
btk467 said:
Steve,

Thanks for the info.
Cost of total package is about $350.
Is that a good price or You know better prices.

Victor
Sounds like a fair price...Here's what I found:

CHA-S634 Changer - $ 222.00 + $ 19.50 shipping = $ 241.50
KCA-130B adapter - $ 9.99 + shipping
Blitzsafe interface - $ 99.95 + shipping.

Total is $ 351.40 + shipping for interface & KCA-130B (I bought my KCA-130B from Circuit City a while back, but it does not appear on their web site now).

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: CD-Text

mrtrelease said:
Does CD-Text show up on the factory head unit with the Apline CHA-S634 or just the CD & Track #'s?

Thanks
Just the CD & Track #'s. The OEM Panasonic Head Unit is not Text Cabable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Re: CD-Text

SteveLuman said:
Just the CD & Track #'s. The OEM Panasonic Head Unit is not Text Cabable.
Bummer..:( Is there any setup that would allow us to use to steering wheel controls and connect via the connector on the factory head unit (no FM modulator), but would have an external display for text?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: CD-Text

mrtrelease said:
Bummer..:( Is there any setup that would allow us to use to steering wheel controls and connect via the connector on the factory head unit (no FM modulator), but would have an external display for text?
You could always install Alpine XM and piggy-back the changer to the XM unit. The XM Controller display will show the text for both the XM and the CD MP3's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: CD-Text

SteveLuman said:
You could always install Alpine XM and piggy-back the changer to the XM unit. The XM Controller display will show the text for both the XM and the CD MP3's.
Score...thanks for the tip. I will definately check that config. out!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the Honda CD changer the same dimension as the Alpine changer? Or, can I purchase the Honda installation kit, drop an Alpine CD changer in there with MP3 capability, and have it physically fit under the seat the same way as the Honda would? Compability is one thing, but if it fits like the Honda changer with the same brackets, then that's a plus!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Pilotrix said:
Is the Honda CD changer the same dimension as the Alpine changer? Or, can I purchase the Honda installation kit, drop an Alpine CD changer in there with MP3 capability, and have it physically fit under the seat the same way as the Honda would? Compability is one thing, but if it fits like the Honda changer with the same brackets, then that's a plus!
Yes,

I installed my Alpine CHA-S634 changer under the Driver's Seat with the OEM Installation Kit from Honda. It is the same size & same hole placement as the OEM Changer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts