Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- Long post, vent/complaints/questions.

I got that "great" deal for the cost on tires at Sam's club so I got them for my daughters CRV and my Accord. Pirelli P7 plus II on Accord, Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus II on CRV. 4 tires on each.

Thoughts on complaint level and If I should demand 2 new tires for front of Accord or if just fix and rebalance will be OK?

I put factory size 215/55/17 on my Hyundai 17" rims, I like the rims they'll probably get a gloss black dip. I put them on the Accord and next day headed on a marathon 2500+ mile road trip to Missouri and back with my son. Part way there I started getting a slight vibration in the steering wheel that got a little worse through the trip. Not heavy shaking, slight and ANNOYING where your head was vibrating when trying to sleep also, nauseating, worse when traffic is doing 80mph+. I thought maybe I hit a pothole and damaged something. I tried calling 7 shops in different spots along the way and all were booked but could schedule for 2-3 days out for a rebalance. 4 of them were Discount Tire locations. So we rolled on. I will be going back to complain to Sam's store manager and tire bay manager with some of the buying/schedule and now installation issues. I also need to know what they used for bead lubricant so I can have it fixed. How much damage to tread wear do you think occurred over the time on front 2 tires?

On the CRV I put the summer rims/tires on and expected the TPMS to come on as they need reprogram when swapped, I don't know if every time or if CRV hold 8 codes (summer/winter). TPMS came on and I told shop to check for reprogram or just a bad sensor. I don't know of they were ever changed prior so might be 13 years old and time to be replaced. Sam's changed all four tires and when done they said I needed 4 new sensors and would need to reschedule at least a week out to get them changed ($160). They didn't check them while tires were off and easy to fix and call me. I went to my normal repair shop just down the road right after as I needed a DMV inspection anyway. They checked and I only one bad sensor, not 4, but I would need to bring it back also after they got the sensor and she was headed on her own trip to visit friends 2 hours away while I was gone. I went to local shop that Tirerack recommended for installs and usually quick service plus a Hunter Road Force balancer. I've been there before with snow tires and others since Costco won't do what they don't sell now.

TR recommended shop had a 1 hour wait, and they had the sensor for CRV. They verified the one bad sensor, broke the bead, replaced and then showed me that the stick on weights Sam's used were not sticking well. They checked the balance on that tire and it was slightly off. They redid that one tire and actually took off .75 ounces of weights. I requested all tires to be redone. They did that for $15 each, same scenario not bad but not great and weights with sticking issues so all redone for CRV.

In my head I said I'm going on a 2500+ mile trip and I had the 4 tires for Accord in back of CRV. I asked to have the Accord ones redone to make sure they were good. Come to find 2 rims have a slight bend and recommended to fix or at least for now install on back (Sam's didn't say anything about the bends). New shop showed me the bends and redid them as they were also slightly off. They balanced up no issues, and minimal weights. I was a bit perturbed with Sam's but at least happy I was good for trip.

Because I have my own issues and like talking tires etc. I took pictures of car/rims to show my coworker before trip. I did notice that all the tires had the "dot" and Sam's did line them up with the valve stem, you can see them in pictures attached. At about the 2000 mile point I looked and the front tires on my 4 cyl. 2.4L, non turbo Accord MOVED on the rim. Not a high power performance vehicle but it is a stick shift. Right front tire is now 180 degrees out and left front is 90 degrees out, they moved that far. Back are fine in place but will eventually get rotated to the front.

I'm REALLY now thinking the safety and emergency stopping aspect of once it starts to move on the rim and I have ABS engaged, how much longer will it take to stop the car? I don't have confidence that it will ever be tight to rim and that they didn't use a silicone version lubricant. What do those that do their own tires use for bead lubricant or what does your shop use? Ever had this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
While I have no experience with this, I am glad to hear it sounds like the vibrations have at least been addressed.

While I do quite like the wheels on our '08 Sonata, I'm not sure how I feel about Elantra Limited rims from 2010ish being used on an Accord.

EDIT: For your concern with ABS and the tire rotating on the rim, I suppose it is possible for the tire to shift slightly on the rim if the lubricant is present, but I assume the lubricant used flashes off at a pretty low temperature to not become a long term issue. If you are still concerned, put a mark on the wheel where the dot is and go do some panic stops to see.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
While I have no experience with this, I am glad to hear it sounds like the vibrations have at least been addressed.
A different shop had addressed the vibrations but since they moved, front 2 need to be redone.

While I do quite like the wheels on our '08 Sonata, I'm not sure how I feel about Elantra Limited rims from 2010ish being used on an Accord.
Picture them in gloss black, that's what I'm going to try. I think they look OK in silver on the Accord, not in love but I have them. I liked them more on the silver Sonata. If I don't like how they look black I'll search for something else, maybe stock Honda 17". Then I can always post them on forums and marketplace etc. The rest of the Accord will be getting some black out (or modern steel metallic) done. Way too much shiny chrome for me.

EDIT: For your concern with ABS and the tire rotating on the rim, I suppose it is possible for the tire to shift slightly on the rim if the lubricant is present, but I assume the lubricant used flashes off at a pretty low temperature to not become a long term issue. If you are still concerned, put a mark on the wheel where the dot is and go do some panic stops to see.
The problem with even slight shift is now they aren't balanced. This is also not slight, 90-180 degrees moved. Hopefully it does flash off. Think emergency braking, once the tire starts to move on rim it will stay moving easier. good brakes, wheels stop moving, car doesn't stop just like on ice.

Sam's club manager was very helpful and understanding. He will address all the concerns with tire dept manager tomorrow. One of the tire installers confirmed my concerns and doesn't recall when balance machines were last checked/calibrated. He saw the pictures and also noted how all the excess lube had spun over sidewalls. He had worked on the CRV while a different employee did the Accord ones. So far no issues with CRV just the initial balance slight vibration and their TPMS reader issue. Both fixed by other shop.

Sam's manager also compensated covering the rebalance at other shop and so I can have them dismount/clean beads and redo for Accord. I was satisfied that he will address the concerns so others don't have issues and eliminate possible legal concerns.

They offered to redo the Accord at that time also but I don't want to rebalance on equipment that wasn't correct the first time until it gets checked.

I also sent email to the tire lube company (Steelman) to inquire about excess drying, staying slippery etc. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The '07 Hyundai steel wheels and hubcaps worked fine for the winter with Continental WinterContact Si on them. Great in snow and ice, rode smooth, and they were quieter than the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady that it came with. I spent I think $20 for hubcentric rings and had good winter tires. That felt great for me. ;)

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Guess I'll be checking all my dot marks to see if any have spun on the rim. Never heard of that happening.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I put them on the Accord and next day headed on a marathon 2500+ mile road trip to Missouri and back with my son. Part way there I started getting a slight vibration in the steering wheel that got a little worse through the trip. Not heavy shaking, slight and ANNOYING where your head was vibrating when trying to sleep also, nauseating, worse when traffic is doing 80mph+
IMO 2500+ miles on out of balanced, vibrating tires could have caused some unusual wear patterns that are not always cured with balancing. If anything there could be reduced tire life but that’s tough to determine via the Internet.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I'm tossing out a set of Bridgestone Duelers that I just got less than 2 years ago at Costco and putting in proper Nokians instead this week. The Bridgestones were a replacement of Michelins that wore out in less than 2 seasons.
The tires developed vibrations at around 120kmh since, probably, 3 months into service. No amount of rebalancing (including road force balancing) was able to fix that.

These tires actually caused me a lot of grief, because, I was fighting vibrations and I couldn't believe that it was caused by a brand new set of tires. I replaced engine mounts, redid the suspension, and finally, after taking the tires in for roadforce balance (after swapping in my winter Nokians and noticing that the vibrations were gone), I was told that 2 tires can not be balanced to within spec.

I will not ever buy another set of tires at COSTCO. Kaltire and Nokians for me and nothing else. BFGoodrich KM3s on my other truck, once again, not from COSTCO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wife bent one of our rims on another car hitting a pothole. Crazy Vibration. It was beyond weights. Got it rerounded at a rim shop for 150 bucks. Most people don't know of them. Some also paint, fix curb rash, powder coat etc.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Wife bent one of our rims on another car hitting a pothole. Crazy Vibration. It was beyond weights. Got it rerounded at a rim shop for 150 bucks. Most people don't know of them. Some also paint, fix curb rash, powder coat etc.
I've done this before, but I am also aware that working metal like that does cause fatigue, so on low profile tired car wheels (which mine were) I was very nervous about any potholes from that point forward.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to have the 2 with slight bend fixed. $105 each to fix. The shop that fixed balance told me to wait and try first since they balanced up easily. I have to go see them today and now check my right front (that moved 180 degrees) as it now has a HUGE bubble on the side. I hit a crater size pothole going to work last night. Felt like I ran over a curb at 65mph. I want them to check for bend before I just get a new tire. I also need to see what Sam's road hazard covers......

There was 4 cars with flats just after this area. I consider myself lucky at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I was going to have the 2 with slight bend fixed. $105 each to fix. The shop that fixed balance told me to wait and try first since they balanced up easily. I have to go see them today and now check my right front (that moved 180 degrees) as it now has a HUGE bubble on the side. I hit a crater size pothole going to work last night. Felt like I ran over a curb at 65mph. I want them to check for bend before I just get a new tire. I also need to see what Sam's road hazard covers......

There was 4 cars with flats just after this area. I consider myself lucky at this point.
Man that was one bad pot hole. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A different shop had addressed the vibrations but since they moved, front 2 need to be redone.

Picture them in gloss black, that's what I'm going to try. I think they look OK in silver on the Accord, not in love but I have them. I liked them more on the silver Sonata. If I don't like how they look black I'll search for something else, maybe stock Honda 17". Then I can always post them on forums and marketplace etc. The rest of the Accord will be getting some black out (or modern steel metallic) done. Way too much shiny chrome for me.
View attachment 149197

The problem with even slight shift is now they aren't balanced. This is also not slight, 90-180 degrees moved. Hopefully it does flash off. Think emergency braking, once the tire starts to move on rim it will stay moving easier. good brakes, wheels stop moving, car doesn't stop just like on ice.

Sam's club manager was very helpful and understanding. He will address all the concerns with tire dept manager tomorrow. One of the tire installers confirmed my concerns and doesn't recall when balance machines were last checked/calibrated. He saw the pictures and also noted how all the excess lube had spun over sidewalls. He had worked on the CRV while a different employee did the Accord ones. So far no issues with CRV just the initial balance slight vibration and their TPMS reader issue. Both fixed by other shop.

Sam's manager also compensated covering the rebalance at other shop and so I can have them dismount/clean beads and redo for Accord. I was satisfied that he will address the concerns so others don't have issues and eliminate possible legal concerns.

They offered to redo the Accord at that time also but I don't want to rebalance on equipment that wasn't correct the first time until it gets checked.

I also sent email to the tire lube company (Steelman) to inquire about excess drying, staying slippery etc. We'll see what they say.
Not to derail, but our Sonata is the SE V6, I quite like wheels that came on it, I think Hyundai marketed them as "Euroflange" at the time... This is the same color and wheels as ours, but this one is a Limited. Chrome door handles and lack of lip spoiler mean it can't be an SE.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man that was one bad pot hole. 🤦‍♂️
I drove back that way this morning and reported it to DOT. I can send you video of the multiple craters in a row. Not positive which one i hit. Sam's is doing road hazard and covering tire but has to be ordered. other shop is sending now 3 rims for straightening. Funny too as 1 of the "bent" ones on the back actually balanced with ZERO weights on it.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Funny too as 1 of the "bent" ones on the back actually balanced with ZERO weights on it.
Be sure that that the balance machine didn't display all zeros because the tire/rim was too far out of balance to correct.
Had that experience, once, with a good wheel but a really bad Goodyear tire.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts

I was going to say something about that bubble on the earlier post too! But then I thought, maybe it's just the picture, he didn't mention it!

FWIW- I now mount my own motorcycle tires. I first check the balance of the bare rim, THEN put the dot at the heaviest point- not always at the valve stem!

Some tires no longer come with dots!

It still shouldn't be turning on the rim though. How are you driving to get a tire to slip on the rim?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FWIW- I now mount my own motorcycle tires. I first check the balance of the bare rim, THEN put the dot at the heaviest point- not always at the valve stem!

Some tires no longer come with dots!

It still shouldn't be turning on the rim though. How are you driving to get a tire to slip on the rim?
At normal around town speeds and highway traffic in a 4 cyl Accord.

The pictures on car with dots lined up was Wednesday PM. Car then sat for 8 hours on a hot day before I drove to work that night and back in AM with traffic, no hard starts/stops. 20 miles of errands, sat 4 hours then road trip with first 2 hours/80 miles in heavy traffic.

No vibrations noted until about 500 miles into the trip. Dots moved pictures was Saturday early AM after about 2000 miles but had been light shaking since the 500 mile and got a little worse.

Sam’s manager (and other shop) also bewildered and have never seen it. He dismounted the bad tire for road hazard warranty/replacement and said beads were dry.

Previous tires on those rims had been on for 6+ years and had never needed to be rebalanced. No clue if they ever moved but again were never out of balance and they were driven harder many times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts