Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been attempting to replace my front strut assembly but I cant seem to locate anything decent. I purchased the OEM from CARid and waited two months and only received one and then was told its discontinued. The only other brand I can find is Gabriel and Monroe and was told to avoid the Monroe. I also saw Summit Racing has their own brand but am weary of trying them out. Can anyone recommend another brand?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you tried buying from Honda? Find it hard to believe they don’t have them given how many ‘09-‘15 Pilots are on the road. Honda OEM is ASI (American Showa), a joint venture between American Honda and Showa Suspension. Quality is far better than anything in the aftermarket for a Pilot.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Ive been attempting to replace my front strut assembly but I cant seem to locate anything decent. I purchased the OEM from CARid and waited two months and only received one and then was told its discontinued. The only other brand I can find is Gabriel and Monroe and was told to avoid the Monroe. I also saw Summit Racing has their own brand but am weary of trying them out. Can anyone recommend another brand?
I see KYB available on RockAuto.
2012 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Strut | RockAuto
Don't forget the 5% Piloteer discount code.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried buying from Honda? Find it hard to believe they don’t have them given how many ‘09-‘15 Pilots are on the road. Honda OEM is ASI (American Showa), a joint venture between American Honda and Showa Suspension. Quality is far better than anything in the aftermarket for a Pilot.

Carid told me that Honda discontinued them. I did find it odd but Im not sure how the parts game works.

I see KYB available on RockAuto.
2012 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Strut | RockAuto
Don't forget the 5% Piloteer discount code.
I was hoping for a fully loaded strut as Ive never done this type of repair and want it to be as easy as possible.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Honda discontinued the complete strut, but you can buy the parts individually. Lots of things are discontinued/back ordered now. Covid killed the supply chain for almost everything, we have a 50-60% backorder on almost everything from Honda right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honda discontinued the complete strut, but you can buy the parts individually. Lots of things are discontinued/back ordered now. Covid killed the supply chain for almost everything, we have a 50-60% backorder on almost everything from Honda right now.
Do you know how I can locate which individual parts I need? All i can find are pictures. This is for my wife's car and just want it to go smoothly. Ive never done this job before and there are no youtube videos for this particular rebuild job on a Pilot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Very very rarely do you need anything more then the strut itself. If you're trying to dyi, but don't have a strut compressor, I would pull them out and take to a shop to have the strut swapped out. Then you can reinstall the assembly and get it aligned. As for the strut you should be able to order from Honda parts online.com. In my experience oem showa or kyb is the only way to go. Kyb is slightly stiffer the oem fyi.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very very rarely do you need anything more then the strut itself. If you're trying to dyi, but don't have a strut compressor, I would pull them out and take to a shop to have the strut swapped out. Then you can reinstall the assembly and get it aligned. As for the strut you should be able to order from Honda parts online.com. In my experience oem showa or kyb is the only way to go. Kyb is slightly stiffer the oem fyi.
ok, thanks. I'll just have to order the strut itself.....I always try get as much info before attempting something... If i dont have all my bases covered I usually screw something up...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
This is for my wife's car and just want it to go smoothly. Ive never done this job before and there are no youtube videos for this particular rebuild job on a Pilot.
I went with a complete KYB set from Rock Auto to make everything simple and safe. Don’t recommend diy rebuilding one because the springs are under tremendous pressure and can cause serious bodily harm or worse. As mentioned take it to a pro to rebuild if that’s what you want. Either way remove the old one and install the new one

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I live dangerously. I use O'Reilly's tool loaner program and check out the pair of spring collapsers. Just make sure they are not to beat up by the previous user.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just purchased a complete assembly for one side and the individual parts for the other side. Might want to consider replacing the end links while you are there. I went to do my struts and end links are seized.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Bernardi Honda shows full assembly available, but they are $350 each. I got Bilstein strut from Summit and transferred everything over. I bought a spring compressor from Amazon and used an impact with it. Worked well
$350 each is pretty steep. $700 for 2, I'd spend the $125 for 2 on RockAuto and pay a shop a fair fee to collapse the springs and rebuild my old assemblies with the new struts. I'd think you'd come out $100s ahead of the game.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I see these on google. The reviews are kinda generic so I'm not positive of the quality of them yet. Trying to find out myself. Seems like a well put together kit.
No problem with the DIY but there is a significant difference in the quality of the original parts versus what is available in the aftermarket. You want to change them again in 30-50k? Your time has a value.

And $340 for a fully loaded original equipment strut is not cheap, but it is a fair price.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
No problem with the DIY but there is a significant difference in the quality of the original parts versus what is available in the aftermarket. You want to change them again in 30-50k? Your time has a value.

And $340 for a fully loaded original equipment strut is not cheap, but it is a fair price.
Oh boy, 🤦‍♂️
My KYBs on the Crosstour have out lasted my OEMs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are a knowledgeable guy but your n=1 data sets are getting a little silly. You should go to work for any of the majors as they could use your help because they obviously cannot spec fluids or parts correctly, but you can.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts