Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Should I pull the trigger?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Piloteers. I've been off for a while between work and a new baby. I just found these rims on Craigslist and just got off the phone with the guy who's selling the rims. They're ULTRA Motorsports Menace 16X8 with a bolt pattern of 5X4.5 which would essentially fit my Pilot. What do you guys think? He told me that he had them on his truck but ultimately didn't like their look and after just a month he took them off. Original price was $540 + taxes but he's selling them right now for $300.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Original price was $540 + taxes but he's selling them right now for $300
The price is good if they are as clean and unblemished as the pics. The seller is probably moving up in size on the truck. I had a set of Ultra wheels on my truck and they looked great but the clear coat finish started to crack within a year or two and the metal center cap rusted. Can’t say that would happen to this set of Ultra wheels but wheels at this price point are mostly imported so it could happen with any of them.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The price is good if they are as clean and unblemished as the pics. The seller is probably moving up in size on the truck. I had a set of Ultra wheels on my truck and they looked great but the clear coat finish started to crack within a year or two and the metal center cap rusted. Can’t say that would happen to this set of Ultra wheels but wheels at this price point are mostly imported so it could happen with any of them.
Thanks! Going in the morning to pick them up.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Hey, welcome back. :)

Since you're already on the way to pick them up, I'm gonna weasel out and only vote after we see them installed. :D

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not ready yet to get them installed. Looking for the right tires. Any recommendations? I want to go with something beefy like All Terrains though I know my version of this Pilot isn't the 4x4. I just like the aggressive look. Also, where can I get the TPMS sensors at a good price? The ones I found at Amazon and eBay go from $90-$160+. Anywhere else I can get those from?

Sent from my OnePlus 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Standard Motor Products or VDO/Continental here...

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor | RockAuto

Just avoid the Dormans. I know it's just a sample of one customer talking here, but two of the four Dormans I got were DOA, and I had naively gotten them well ahead of time of my install, so I had exceeded RA's retentive return window and had to eat the cost.

Oh, and have you heard Piloteers get a 5% discount. Ask me if you need help finding it. :)

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
Don't know the width or offset of these rims but I doubt they match the stock wheel. Get too wide, get the offset wrong and you'll run into clearance problems.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know the width or offset of these rims but I doubt they match the stock wheel. Get too wide, get the offset wrong and you'll run into clearance problems.
Offset is 10 according to the stickers in the box.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the offset is +10 that could mean they may stick out beyond the fenders. Confirm that offset
Yes it does have an offset of +10mm according to the stickers. I'm guessing spacers are in order?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,317 Posts
I think you need to slow down.... let’s not rush to buy the wheels until we are certain not only that they fit with the tires you propose using but do so without conflict with the suspension, steering or bodywork.

Try this tool: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Tires to consider 245/70, 255/65 etc.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys for all the tire & wheel info and your advice. As always I'm happy to always come here to seek answers and you guys make it as easy as possible. Also, thanks for your patience with all my inquiries.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright fellow Piloteers here's the finished product. New shoes for my baby. Such an aggressive look. What do you think. Tested them and they don't touch or scratch anything (fenders or suspension). I went with 245 70 16 Leao LionSport A/Ts 111T XL tires. Did extensive research about reliable, cost effective, and quality tires so as to not break the bank and these tires turned out to be a pretty solid choice. Got the set of 4 through Amazon Prime for $369.98 + taxes ($399.58 total). Got my friend who has a Mobile Tire Business in our City come to the house this morning and install the new TPMS sensors (bought pre-programmed through eBay for $56) on the new Wheels and helped me get the original spare tire changed for a full size spare now so that was a big plus. I'm very satisfied. The Pilot rides like a dream!!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Alright fellow Piloteers here's the finished product. New shoes for my baby. Such an aggressive look. I'm very satisfied. The Pilot rides like a dream!!
View attachment 143003 View attachment 143006
The Pilot looks great and the less positive offset wheels moves the wheel/tire combo outside of the fender nicely. Looks aggressive and changes the way the Pilot handles from stock.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts