Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pilot is a 2012 EXL 4WD. My daily commuter is a 99 civic that recently broke down near my work and is sitting at a local mechanic about 30 miles away from home. I want to be able to tow the Civic back home so I was thinking I could rent one of those UHaul tow dollies. The pilot is rated for 4,500lb towing. Does anyone think this is not a good idea? Has anyone done this before and have any tips?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
So my pilot is a 2012 EXL 4WD. My daily commuter is a 99 civic that recently broke down near my work and is sitting at a local mechanic about 30 miles away from home. I want to be able to tow the Civic back home so I was thinking I could rent one of those UHaul tow dollies. The pilot is rated for 4,500lb towing. Does anyone think this is not a good idea? Has anyone done this before and have any tips?
Don't see why not as long as you take it easy ... how heavy is the 99 civic ? were those the days before it went to all plastic?

I pulled one of my 06's from the auction on a dollie ..I had no issues just took it easy..If you can see if you can rent the brake light harness the one that mounts to your car for other
drivers to see when you stop.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Looked it up 99 civic showing as 2300-2700lbs. I've pulled unbraked trailers with that weight on my first gen. Just take it easy, drive with extra level of anticipation and as Tahoefever says, mag lights on the civic to help those behind you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the support guys! I towed the car about 30 miles this morning without issue. I ended up not getting the magnetic lights as the Uhaul guy told me it wasn't required and I could leave the hazards on for the Civic, plus it was during a sunny day. I picked up the flat 4-pin wiring harness online for about $50 instead of the OEM towing harness, etc. The Pilot keeps paying for itself. Now the last thing I need to do with it is get a small plow for it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts