Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was out of town (and still am) my wife locked her keys in our Pilot. Here is her story (with her permission to post)...

You know some 'thing' always happen when you are away from us for work. This time it was the Pilot. (You can keep breathing - it is ok) I locked, with the assistance of the delightful 2 yr old Caitlin, my keys to the Pilot. IN THE PILOT! Oh you can imagine the feeling when I reached in my pocket for the keys that were not there (as Caitlin shut the door) and looked with horror at them peering back at me - right there on the center armrest up front. ARRGHH!

So to cut to the chase, I called ADAC (Germany's AAA). When the German guy came out, I think he spent a few minutes just looking at the Pilot. Then he got to 'work.' First he tried the slim jim thingy. I remembered reading in the Pilot brochure something about it having extra features in the door to making it hard to pick the lock. This guy worked hard for about five minutes. Then he gave me that infamous German look and said "hmm, Honda." Then (please keep breathing) he took two plastic wedges (like doorstops) and pried the door from the frame. Please it is ok. The Pilot is fine. Keep breathing. You know how the Pilot's door has the black seal - up top - around the top. Think like a frig door. He basically put the wedges under that or worked the wedges into that. Then the next part was amazing. He put these thin rubber pillows - ok rubber pocket pillows - which had these hand pumps (like a blood pressure cuff) to pump in air. And opened that puppy up about an inch or less - so he could get the rods in. Yep, rods to try to press the power lock button or the door lock itself. Well that did not work either. The door angle and the smoothness of these buttons and locks - no good for
him. He was impressed - but determined. I was desperate too. He then looked in and saw the keys laying there. He next fished out the keys with a long thin wire - think coat hanger stretched out. Whew. I have never been so happy to have those keys... He did check the door - which is fine. Sat in it (hmm maybe that was a ploy to be 'in' the Pilot) and checked the seals. Stood outside it and checked the seals. He told me in his broken
English that it was a good security system - "that Honda Pilot". Keep breathing - I know it sounds worse than it was. It is fine. And we are too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How you can locked yourself out of the car ?

Did you have to locked all the doors, leave the key(s) inside the car, and slam the door shut ?

There is no feature to prevent ?

Sorry, this is my first Japanese, Honda, car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the keys are in the ignition, it will unlock when you close it. The car has no way of knowing if you put the keys in the glovebox or left them on the seat.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was going to volunteer to fly over there and let her see if my key fit for you. Darn!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey, can I use this story to get a lower insurance rate (theft prevention)??????

Rob

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She always locks the Pilot with the Key Fob. This time, she was helping our toddler out and had set the keys in the seat. Our daughter wanted to push the button on the door to lock it. Oops...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok this is strange.

I've tried to duplicate this "locked out" scenario and the only way feasible makes no sense:

1. Locking the door with the key. Obviously, the keys are outside the vehicle so not a problem.

2. Locking the door with the FOB while inside the vehicle: sets the alarm off if you open the door. Not good

3. Trying to lock the door with the FOB while door is open: Pilot doesn't let me do that.

The only way I've figured out to lock myself out of the Pilot:

Open the window, turn engine off, climb out the window, lock the doors with FOB, toss the keys in the car and use the AUTO feature of the driver-side window to lock myself out. Notice the "climb out the window" part otherwise the AUTO feature wouldn't work.

How the heck did you lock yourself out??? :)

- Ben

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, I think we are making this too difficult. Pull keys from ignition, leave in cup holder while assisting child, lock doors with button on door, close doors........................you are now locked out.

No matter how fancy manufactures make keys, security systems, etc...........if you leave the keys on the armrest accidently, your locked out!

Of course this would be about the time for an old Explorer owner to praise the keypad on the door and wonder why manufacturers don't make it standard...................for situations just like this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Years ago drivers used to hide a key somewhere externally on the vehicle to cover similar situations ..... however, the jet age plastic bumpers, etc have made it difficult to hide a key in those little magnetic boxes ( used to be a buck or so ) ... plus, when you add a bulky plastic covering on a pricey key with a special chip, that compounds the problem of hiding a key securely...... bumps, weather, etc may preclude using that solution. My solution, although I haven't received my Pilot yet, will be as follows: Hide an ignition key somewhere inside the vehicle ..... buy a plain, not security coded, cheap key at a local hardware store. Hide it externally under the Pilot .. engine area or place of your choice .... wire it in place or duct tape it so it can't fall off ..... use it to open the door to retrieve the coded ignition key from the inside of the Pilot.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
lock doors with button on door, close doors........................you are now locked out.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but in my CR-V, if I try to use the power lock while the driver's door is open, it will lock all doors except the driver's. The only way the driver's door will lock is if the door is shut or (I haven't tried this but it worked on my parents' 1986 Civic Wagon) pull on the driver's door handle while locking the door.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GreenMachine said:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but in my CR-V, if I try to use the power lock while the driver's door is open, it will lock all doors except the driver's. The only way the driver's door will lock is if the door is shut or (I haven't tried this but it worked on my parents' 1986 Civic Wagon) pull on the driver's door handle while locking the door.
Exactomundo. I fergot that little scenario. If you try locking your pilot using the button on the door while the door is open, it will pop right back up.

- Ben

·
Registered
56 Posts
I must be missing something - when I lock the driver door with the button on the door just below the window, all the doors lock and stay locked when I close the door.

·
Registered
266 Posts
bjdurand said:

Exactomundo. I fergot that little scenario. If you try locking your pilot using the button on the door while the door is open, it will pop right back up.

- Ben
If I use the door lock button, it locks all the doors and when the drivers door is closed, all the doors are locked.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Jolly Roger said:
...My solution, although I haven't received my Pilot yet, will be as follows: Hide an ignition key somewhere inside the vehicle ..... buy a plain, not security coded, cheap key at a local hardware store. Hide it externally under the Pilot .. engine area or place of your choice .... wire it in place or duct tape it so it can't fall off ..... use it to open the door to retrieve the coded ignition key from the inside of the Pilot.
That might work, except the Pilot uses a "sidewinder" key which is laser cut can not be cut with traditional keycopying machines. If you do find a matching blank without a transponder, it will still probably be $50.
I guess that might be cheaper than calling a mobile locksmith.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
pjb3 said:

If I use the door lock button, it locks all the doors and when the drivers door is closed, all the doors are locked.
You know what? You just beat me posting a retraction to my previous note :)

I went out to the car to test it out again and you are right, locked out. I thought I remember an instance of me trying to lock the Pilot using the door button and the button coming right back up. Strange. Perhaps when the engine is running?

- Ben

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yesterday I checked with a local locksmith ... they must order a blank for my 02 Accord, and the car must also be there when they cut the key ... I think it's $27.50 or something like that. I asked about the Pilot key .... they said they would look into getting some blanks ... I did tell them I did not have the Pilot yet, however remembered it had a weird looking key ..... I'm not sure they can do anything about the Pilot extra key, but I really hate to give the dealer "around a hundred bucks" for a spare. Obviously I've got some work to do in this area....:D

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally back home. My wife has been carrying my keys around with her too. She is now spooked about locking herself out again. Like the idea of hiding a key, but am sure the thieves know about that too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why make this issue complicated???

With the key in the ignition,with all doors closed,press the locking button on door,all doors will lock and stay locked(this must be done from inside w/door closed)With the key off the ignition,does not matter where the key is,on seat,in your pocket...even you are still inside but the driver door is open,press the locking button,step outside shut the door,all door will lock.It's that simple.Therefore,if you left the key inside(anywhere but the ignition,inside the car,you get locked out)Oh,one more to make it clear,with the key in the ignition,and with the driver door open,there's no way you can lock them doors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts