Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**** Problem solved: For replacing a drive belt tensioner on 2003-2007 Honda Pilot reference Honda Bulletin 08-082

Update Better video here:New Video

Quick link to video here
Just took care of a long list of items that I've been meaning to get to for some time, but now there's a strange noise coming from the engine bay. Here's what I took on for maintenance items over the last week for my 2005 Pilot:

New NGK platinum spark plugs
New gates drive belt tensioner and serpentine belt
New radiator (replaced a leaking one)
New thermostat and upper/lower hoses
Replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor
Transmission fluid drain and fill (Valvoline Max life ATF)

Using Mobil 1 oil and filter with 4,000 miles since last change. Levels are good for all fluids. Belt seems to be running straight.

I'm pretty comfortable mechanically and can't make sense of this one. Everything was torqued properly and I was very careful to double and triple check that the parts went back together as they should have. As you'll hear, the noise is erratic and has no consistent rhythm to it. I can only get the noise to appear when the engine is completely cold from sitting overnight. 4-5 hours cooling isn't enough time. When the transmission is in Park you can occasionally hear it, a random "click" every now and then right after start up. But, when I shift to Reverse or Drive at idle is when you really notice it. As soon as I try to rev the engine it goes away above 1,300 RPMs. Once the engine warms up for a minute or so, I cannot hear or reproduce the sound. I'll try to get a helper to hold the brakes tomorrow morning so I can get a video from right at the engine bay, but this is the best I could do for now.
Here's the video, see what you guys think:
2005 Honda Pilot - Engine Clicking noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GATES 90K38332 belt drive kit. Came with tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. Had good reviews and looked identical to the original, felt sturdy and install was easy. You think it might be the culprit?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quick link to video here
Just took care of a long list of items that I've been meaning to get to for some time, but now there's a strange noise coming from the engine bay. Here's what I took on for maintenance items over the last week for my 2005 Pilot:

New NGK platinum spark plugs
New gates drive belt tensioner and serpentine belt
New radiator (replaced a leaking one)
New thermostat and upper/lower hoses
Replaced Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor
Transmission fluid drain and fill (Valvoline Max life ATF)

Using Mobil 1 oil and filter with 4,000 miles since last change. Levels are good for all fluids. Belt seems to be running straight.

I'm pretty comfortable mechanically and can't make sense of this one. Everything was torqued properly and I was very careful to double and triple check that the parts went back together as they should have. As you'll hear, the noise is erratic and has no consistent rhythm to it. I can only get the noise to appear when the engine is completely cold from sitting overnight. 4-5 hours cooling isn't enough time. When the transmission is in Park you can occasionally hear it, a random "click" every now and then right after start up. But, when I shift to Reverse or Drive at idle is when you really notice it. As soon as I try to rev the engine it goes away above 1,300 RPMs. Once the engine warms up for a minute or so, I cannot hear or reproduce the sound. I'll try to get a helper to hold the brakes tomorrow morning so I can get a video from right at the engine bay, but this is the best I could do for now.
Here's the video, see what you guys think:
2005 Honda Pilot - Engine Clicking noise
Kinda sounds like valves to me, the dead cold engine sort of makes me think so too. The erratic RPMs though, make me think there's some kind of vacuum leak or a stuck PCV valve-type thing going on. Hard to hear in the video so that's my best guess. 🍺

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll try to get a better video in the morning and focus on the pcv valve to see if that's the problem. I was thinking that it would be a fluke if this noise wasn't related to anything that I did, but I guess that's the way my luck goes, hah.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,265 Posts
Always good to check the PCV valve and replace it if necessary, but from what I think I'm hearing it sounds more like a tensioner and/or idler pulley issue. Might be worth it to recheck your work.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
Kinda sounds like a Accessory belt tensioner issue. Which sucks cause that’s the exact kit I bought to put on mine when I pull it apart for the timing belt. 😫

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
That is a very interesting sound there my friend... best thing I can recommend is to pick up a stethoscope from your local auto-parts store.

Or if you are inclined to a "hack", can use the old "screwdriver" method:

·
Registered
224 Posts
HERE IS MY SUGGESTION.....

FIRST.....TAKE BOTH BELTS OFF OF THE ENGINE (IF YOUR ENGINE ONLY HAS ONE BELT THEN TAKE ONE OFF).....START THE ENGINE.....IS THE NOISE PRESENT?....YES = CHECK THE TENSIONER AND THE ACCESSORY PULLEYS FOR BAD BEARINGS.....NO = REMOVE THE TOP OF THE TIMING COVER AND ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT.....AND CHECK THE TIMING BELT FOR FRAYING.....

ALSO.....DID I SEE THE MILES CORRECTLY.....243,XXX.....AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE TIMING BELT WAS CHANGED?....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last timing belt change at 170,000 miles, currently has 243,850. I was going to do that one next year. I've got a better video coming for you guys in a few hours, just had a lot of other stuff going on today. I'll through a socket and long breaker bar on the idler pulley next time I start it and see if I can feel the clicking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, got the better recording on video. Quick 1 minute clip here:
Honda Pilot "clicking"

I also threw a 14mm socket on my torque wrench and put it on the idler puller bolt, hoping to pick up something but I didn't feel the rattling there at all. Now the engine is too warm for me to get the sound again, so tomorrow morning I'll try taking off the drive belt and see what happens when I start it. I just don't know why it being completely cold, idle, and in gear would cause any of the accessory belt components to make that kind of noise. And the worst part is that this wasn't a problem until I tried to keep up on the maintenance! 🤔

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I'll try taking off the drive belt and see what happens when I start it.
Good next step, IMO. It'll perhaps tell you if it's an accessory on the serpentine belt or maybe something with the engine itself.

When you changed the timing belt, what kit did you use, the Aisin or something else? You didn't happen to use a Gates water pump, did you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to remove the drive belt and verify that this is in fact an accessory issue. The A/C compressor pulley has a slight wobble when I wiggle it. The idler pulley also does the same. I'm not sure I can safely use a stethoscope on either one of those with the engine on, so I ordered a replacement tensioner and idler to start there. Could the new belt and tensioner be so tight now that it causes issues with accessory pulleys that were silent before? The conditions that produce the sound still have me scratching my head.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would buy a Bando brand accessory belt from rockauto and see if that fixes it. I have had Gates belts chirp sometimes when they are new. The Bando and Gates have a different texture on the west side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys, I found the problem! This should be a major PSA for anyone that's going to do their drive belt tensioner since there were some recent changes to the OE specs.

The first kit I ordered from Rock Auto was Gates 90K38332. Everything looked fine in the kit, nothing missing, nothing extra. I ordered a replacement and was shipped part number 38332 thinking there might be a bearing problem or something with a tensioner pulley. BUT, in the box with the replacement part was this service bulletin and modifying the front timing belt cover got rid of the noise for good:

Wish I knew about it the first time, but hopefully it'll help anyone else that's about to change their tensioner assembly! Thanks for all of your input on this forum.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Ok guys, I found the problem! This should be a major PSA for anyone that's going to do their drive belt tensioner since there were some recent changes to the OE specs.

The first kit I ordered from Rock Auto was Gates 90K38332. Everything looked fine in the kit, nothing missing, nothing extra. I ordered a replacement and was shipped part number 38332 thinking there might be a bearing problem or something with a tensioner pulley. BUT, in the box with the replacement part was this service bulletin and modifying the front timing belt cover got rid of the noise for good: View attachment 139916

Wish I knew about it the first time, but hopefully it'll help anyone else that's about to change their tensioner assembly! Thanks for all of your input on this forum.
Who looks at the paper in the box? Cut plastic? Just crazy.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
That is nuts, but thanks for paying it forward, @Maxforwardspeed. :)

So TSB PA010-12 for Gates accessory drive belt tensioner part number 90K38332 or 38332, for future searchers.

Wonder if it's the same for other model years and for other brands, e.g., ...

Could be, for the Gates kit anyway, according to the years, unless there's a redesign of that timing belt cover starting in 2006.

Least RA could do is post a PDF of that TSB when you click on "Info." If I can, so can they,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
421 Posts
That is nuts, but thanks for paying it forward, @Maxforwardspeed. :)

So TSB PA010-12 for Gates accessory drive belt tensioner part number 90K38332 or 38332, for future searchers.

Wonder if it's the same for other model years and for other brands, e.g., ...

Could be, for the Gates kit anyway, according to the years, unless there's a redesign of that timing belt cover starting in 2006.

View attachment 139939

Least RA could do is post a PDF of that TSB when you click on "Info." If I can, so can they, View attachment 139935

Yes.... but you can do it with flair!! Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts