Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Honda Pilot 220K miles
alternator bolt broke off in the block after the bracket broke. I removed the alternator, coolant overflow tank, power steering reservoir. then removed the bolts securing the right engine mount to the body and the top nut from the forward engine mount. Jacked up the engine allowed a clear shot to the bolt with a drill.

I drilled a hole and broke off an easy out. I ended buying a carbide drill to make a new larger hole. the larger bolt extractor still didnt move the bolt. Used lot of penetrant oil over days, tried heat, etc

I ended up drilling the a hole the size of the bolt. I was convinced I couldn't get an insert in square as needed so I drilled thru the boss on the block - so the bolt hole is no longer blind. Installed a longer bolt with a nut and washer on the other side of the boss.

We will see how long it works, but seems pretty secure. I was close to calling Goodwill Auto Auction to have it towed away, lol.

Interestingly, after moving the engine around, and bolting everything back together I have less engine vibration at high speed....I have no explanation.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Was this a result of a front-end accident?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,937 Posts
Nice McGuyver fix. You’ve got to post some photos!! Did you Loctite the nut?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not an accident, the bracket failed, which in turn failed the bolt. I used a nut with a nylon insert and blue locktite. I am monitoring it. I attempted to grind a flat on the side of the boss the washer and nut seat on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts