Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Honda dealer parts salesperson quietly suggested I get a U-Haul trailer hitch (around $200) as opposed to the OEM.

Apparently they make one for the Pilot to which a hitch or bike rack can be attached.

Has anyone looked into this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hahnda said:
A Honda dealer parts salesperson quietly suggested I get a U-Haul trailer hitch (around $200) as opposed to the OEM.

Apparently they make one for the Pilot to which a hitch or bike rack can be attached.

Has anyone looked into this?

Thanks.
Do a search on Hitches and you will find lots of information.
U-Haul is probably no better or worse than the others aftermarket hitches.
Most of the aftermarket hitches do not attache the way the factory hitch does. Whether this is important or not is a matter of disscussion.
You can get the factory hitch on line for not much more than the $200, and put it on yourself.
As for bike racks and such, all the hitches will do that.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hahnda said:
Be aware that the only hitch that will allow a full size spare to fit under the vehicle is the OEM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
U Haul Hitch

I finally got my UHaul hitch after several unsuccessfull attempts. I went with a class II since they are one of the few companies that carry that size.
Price was $98.00 plus shipping and tax. If you want themt to install, it is about $27.00.
I did a self install and it was a breeze! It took me about 40 minutes start to finish and I did it without any help. If you have a set of jack stands, it is easy to do it alone.
Also note that the hitch DOES have the center support like the OEM hitch. I do not see any reason someone could not use a full size spare with this one either.
UHaul does carry a class III hitch for about the same price.
Here are some pictures of the install.

First picture is of entire kit before installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Picture of LH Bracket (Drivers Side):

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Picture of RH Bracket:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finished Picture #1

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finished Picture #2

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If anyone is in the market, I would definitely advise to buy OEM. You can get it HERE for $199 and sometimes even cheaper. Take no offense gziegler, but I don't want a big sticker with "U-Haul" on my hitch. Plus that bar only has 6 bolts and the OEM has 12. I know there has been a lot of discussion on here whether or not it actually matters, but that is my own opinion.

:soapbox: (stepping down)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take the sticker off.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Brian said:
Take the sticker off.
I'll second that!!!! :)

One thing that looks nice on the U-haul is the center attachment point. Good looking hitch for a Class II.

:)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
colorider said:
I'll second that!!!! :)

One thing that looks nice on the U-haul is the center attachment point. Good looking hitch for a Class II.

:)
What is the weight rating on a class 2 hitch?

·
Registered
55 Posts
RE: Weight

The UHaul instruction sheet said 3500 lbs..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda Hitch

Can anyone verify the capacity (tongue weight) on the OEM hitch? And where can I find one for a 2004? The website referenced above clearly states '2003 Only'.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Honda Hitch

donmiller said:
Can anyone verify the capacity (tongue weight) on the OEM hitch? And where can I find one for a 2004? The website referenced above clearly states '2003 Only'.
Spec sheet for the 2004 says towing capacity 4500 Lbs. Tongue weight is a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight.

The hitch is listed as "Class 3", so that may also infer a certain weight capacity. (Remember, hitch capacity and vehicle towing capacity are two different things).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Brian said:
Take the sticker off.
Already did it............after pix. was taken.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda Hitch

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Honda Hitch

donmiller said:
Wake up Tim!! :25:

What did they change on the hitch between 2003 and 2004?

Or is it the same, and you are just not "supposed" to sell the hitch only for a 2004 vehicle?

College Hills Honda shows the same hitch with a different wiring kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Draw Tight Hitch

Not at U Haul hitch but I just completed installing a Draw Tight on my 2004 Pilot. It is a class III hitch and appears to be very well made. Purchased it on the internet for about $129 plus the wiring kit was another $28. I think the freight was $30, but would probably vary depneding on where the hitch is shipped. The hitch install was a snap and took me about 30 minutes plus another 30 to install the wiring harness. It bolts up to all of the standard Honda mounting holes but does not have a center support as does the standard Honda Hitch. I don't see that as a big problem as the Pilot is not a heavy hauler!!! As several have mentioned, the fit on the reciever and ball mount is a bit on the loose side but that is pretty common and should not make a lot of nose once the trailer tongue is putting some weight on it.

All in all it looks like a good set up and should work just great for light duty trailer work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a stupid question

Don't mean to appear dumb but I thought you were supposed to install the cooler kits if you put a Trailer Hitch on the Pilot...

What about overheating and transmission damage?

JJ

1 - 20 of 33 Posts