Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you guys can come in clutch on this... I posted this on reddit the other day: Here's my entire post. Thanks for the help!!

--

I just got my Pilot back from the shop after they completely replaced 4 wiring harnesses (basically all of the main ones - L and R Engine bay cabin, instrument panel, and floor).
Long story short, it was a flood car with bad corrosion that was starting to cause problems, and wires had already been spliced together.
These are 2 brand new issues that came up since getting it back:
  1. If the steering wheel is not perfectly straight, I cannot turn the key to off. The key gets stuck at the I position. I can turn it to II or crank it, but it will not go to O. The first time it happened I tried to wiggle the wheel to get the key to turn to off, but I wasn’t able to. Ended up starting the car again, driving back and forth, then I could get it out. It happened 2 more times driving, when finally I figured out if I just had the wheel completely straight, I could turn it to O. Never had this problem before. I mean I usually turn off the car with the wheels straight, but have never had to be precise.
  2. Weird hum noise coming from either the rear right door area or possibly behind front passenger seat. The hum only happens when putting the car into drive or reverse, holding the brake. It keeps humming as long as the brake is held. They did say they replaced my brake light switch, because apparently it was bad. I don’t think that’s related, but I thought worth mentioning. Anyways, if you inch forward and brake again, it will start humming again. Also it will hum intermittently very briefly while in park, but it’s not consistent. If you drive for a while and stop at a stop light, it doesn’t seem to hum unless you inch forward and stop again. I had someone listen outside of the car, and it was definitely a noise coming from the inside. Also strangely, if I open any door, the humming immediately stops.
When I got back the car today, I noticed the humming almost right away, but I thought maybe it was because the seats were out and something was rattling. I called the shop back after I got home so he knew about it, I mentioned that I wasn’t sure if it was a noise because the seats were missing. Obviously as I’ve driven more, it’s definitely not that. I didn’t mention the ignition thing because I thought maybe it was a onetime fluke at the time. He just said to call him back if it was still doing it after I got the seats in.

Does anyone have any ideas? A lot of things had to come apart to do the wiring, but that was the only thing actually replaced. I’m reluctant to take it back if it’s something I can fix myself just because I don’t know how long it will take to troubleshoot. They had the car for almost 6 weeks (small shop) and spent almost 40 hours doing the job. I just don’t want it to sit in the lot for a week to get worked on, when finally I got my car back.

UPDATE: Apparently the steering wheel thing was coincidence. It definitely has something to do with the shifter. I believe the car does not think it is in park. This last time I stopped it, I had the wheel turned, and the key was stuck. I tried doing it with the brake on, and that didn’t do anything either, but if I put it in neutral then back to park, then I could get the key out, while the wheel was still turned.

UPDATE 2: no longer hearing any humming noise at all. @calebbrundage8 was on point with the speaker I think. I turned my stereo up really loud and adjusted the faders to only that speaker. Everything seemed to be okay. After doing that, I haven’t heard the noise at all. It’s strange because it was VERY CONSISTANTLY repeatable, but now it won’t do it. I’m a little bothered there was no “resolution” if you will, so hopefully it doesn’t come back

UPDATE 3: okay so now I have two brand new issues after driving the car more. Anytime the brake is depressed (reverse, park, drive, doesn’t matter) the backup camera turns on for the duration of the braking. Also ONLY WHILE BRAKING neither turn signal makes a click noise. The right one will blink fast while the brake is pressed, and the left one blinks at a normal rate when the brake is pressed. Both fine with brake off. I thought something was messed up with the brake light switch since he replaced it, so I went to auto zone and swapped that out. Still same result. The humming is gone for the most part, although I noticed it a couple times very briefly for a second and went away. The key lock thing is still an issue, although I can just shift out of park, put it back in park and usually get the key out.... what on earth is going on here?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,195 Posts
Um, bring it back to the shop and ask them to fix everything right. You paid them to do that. Don't make yourself crazy. It's their responsibility. That simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um, bring it back to the shop and ask them to fix everything right. You paid them to do that. Don't make yourself crazy. It's their responsibility. That simple.
Yeah I mean, I definitely agree with that, I'm just afraid it's going to take a week for him to get it fixed. Bad enough waiting 6 weeks for it. I was hoping it was just something obvious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts