Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four incidents!

On the "Actual Gas Mileage" thread I gave an account of a trip to Greenwood Indian, from Fayetteville Ga. and Actual gas mileage gotten. It was a pretty much uneventful trip with 4 exceptions.

On the above trip it started to rain very lightly and the sky was very dark. I was is the center lane of a 3 lane streach of road. I turned the wipers to slow intermittent and slowed down a bit. A p/u truck passed on our left side and suddenly Vanished from view into a wall of rain. As we hit the heavy rain I was aware that the car behind us probably lost view of us. So I was concerned about behind us as well as in front.

Up ahead the pickup was spinning in a counter clockwise motion. It spun about 270 degrees and went between two of those 55 gal size orange construction barrels, and across the median backward. It was a wide median, and lower in the middle than either side. He came to a stop in the emergency lane of oncoming traffic, then rolled back down into the bottom of the median. I was still pretty busy trying to keep distance between me and the car behind me while trying to see what was ahead. So I don't know if he got back up on the road way or not. Only thing I can figure that happened, is that when he hit the heavy rain, he hit the brakes and started hydroplaning. He was extremely lucky that an accident was avoided and he didn't flip.

Just after clearing the hour delay on 65/24 in Nashville, traffic slowed again. It was the result of an expensive Wonder Lodge class motor home , 2 fire trucks, a couple of police cars and an ambulance. The road was wet and people were looking under the motor home as though there had been a fire just under and behind the driver.

On the way back on I-65 in Kentucky or Indiana, we saw an 18 wheeler (North bound) off the shoulder and on it's side. About 2 miles south of there was a second 18 wheeler on it's side. Almost as if something had swepted them off the road as there were no other wrecked vehicles at the scene and no noticable evidence of a wreck. Police and emergency vehicles were at both scenes.

On the way back, we stopped at a rest area in Tennesse on top of MT Eagle. As stated earlier, this is a steep 6% grade. When leaving the rest area, the road starts going down hill almost instantly. This downhill grade is about 2-3 miles long and steep enough that there are 2 of those 18 wheeler gravel pits, for them to run off into, in the event of brake failure. Something didn't seem right. I was not using my brakes. I also noticed I was running 60 mph and the tach was around the 2600-2800 rpm range. Indicating to me that the transmission was in 4th gear. I clicked the Cruise off and the Pilot began slowing down. Press the gas pedal and begain gaining speed. Let off the pedal and began slowing down. Put it in D3 and back to D. Nothing I did would convience the tranny to shift to 5th gear. When we reached the bottom, it shifted to fifth and Tach dropped to about 1800 rpm. This phenomenon never occured again.

I've heard "GRADE LOGIC" mentioned, but thought it simply ment the tranny would find and remain in a lower gear when going UP hill. It seems that the computer was realizing the Pilot was attempting to gain speed disproportionately to the throttle setting and used the transmission to correct the condition. Or maybe there is a device that reads the angle of the vehicle. However it does it is a mystery to me, but a worth while feature.
Every time I spent a few hours behind the wheel, the Pilot reveals another of it's neat features.

How about some feed back on the above, and any interesting events you have encountered on the road.

Thanks,
Kip

·
Registered
78 Posts
going down hills

Driving through perhaps that same area (on my way from Milwaukee to Atlanta a couple times), I know how steep those mountains can be. In my 96 Civic, I had to put it in D3 so I wouldn't "coast" up to 100mph on the way down. It revved higher than normal cruising, but still well within the car's comfort zone.

Surely members of this board know that you do NOT want to ride your brakes all the way down a hill, because they will heat up and not work properly, so I won't even mention that. :14:

We don't have mountains like that here in WI, but will be impressed if the Pilot "knows" to hold a lower gear. Is that the Grade Logic? Like Kip, I guess I thought that was for low speed crawling up steeeeep hills. Very nice feature, and adds safety for those who might not know about inverse relationship between brake temperature and performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts