Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BTW - Introducing.....ME! Hi everyone.......loving the web site......

Here's my dilemma:

My quest for a pilot started two months ago with research.....decided the minute I test drive it that it was the SUV for me.....

I will be purchasing a Black EX-L.....

Hearing that a specific color / trim level could mean a wait of two months, I decided to put the feelers out using autobytel and other internet tools.

I got all MSRP quotes......and decided to let my quote quest die down a bit while I sold my 95 Cherokee Sport.

On saturday, I took my wife to a local dealer....one I was told that had never charged premiums. Met with a nice guy, and left a $100 for my black EX-L to take delivery in May. (Plenty of time to sell the Jeep) They actually had the exact car there that day for immediate purchase. I had to pass......sigh.

With paperwork in hand for MSRP less my 100 bucks, I left with a smile....dreaming about May.

That night, I received an e-mail from the Internet Sales manager I had received a MSRP quote from a month ago.....for the SAME black Pilot and the same dealership - only now he was offering $1,000 UNDER MSRP.

Uh Oh....I want the discount, but also want to "do the right thing"

Thoughts?

The internet manager told me that the discount would "not be as steep" as it would if I did not take the one they have in stock now......light pressure there, but whatever.....

Once this gets resolved, I'll tell you what the dealership is.....it is in NY.

Thanks....

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
welcome to the board and congratulations on deciding to buy the pilot....great choice....btw I love a guinness too (hic.):D

"the right thing to do " when dealing with car dealers is to get the lowest possible price. I would say tell the dealer where you put the $100 deposit that you want to cancel sicne you are getting it at better price....I am sure they will meet the price.(they still make $3000 or more I think).

If they do not budge..sc#$w them...and buy the cheaper car:2:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Usually any discounts to have are done with vehicles in stock ready for delivery. If you are offered a $1000 discount with an in stock vehicle then you have to decide either to buy two months early or wait as planned with the dealership you have already "agreed" to purchase.

If I was your salesperson, I would trust that my service and dedication to your satisfaction would be enough to hold you to the agreement you made with me.

It's your buck and word, good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.....

The two salesmen are at the SAME dealership.....

Regarding the guy I left the $100 with....rather than a solid "deal" went something like this:

Me: "I'm pretty sure I want a Black Pilot EX-L in May, here's my refundable $100 deposit to show you I'm mildly serious"

Salesman: "O.K., sir, I'll write it up at sticker....you know they are going for that....."

Me: "Yeah, Yeah...thanks"

The best solution, if possible, would be for me to get the discount, and for the two salesguys to split the sales commission.....

Oh well......we'll see.

Thanks again.....

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
someings amiss....excuse this post:3:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Amiss? With my post?
no no no thats not what I meant....my post got posted twice...so I removed it ....and wrote amiss.....

god I need a guinness....:D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
idloveaguinness said:

That night, I received an e-mail from the Internet Sales manager I had received a MSRP quote from a month ago.....for the SAME black Pilot and the same dealership - only now he was offering $1,000 UNDER MSRP.

Uh Oh....I want the discount, but also want to "do the right thing"

Thanks....
Don't let them make this your problem. Tell the internet sales manager you want to do his deal but you need HIM to unwind your other transaction. Then, step back. Remember, they are in the business to make as much money as possible. The sales person you met with has already demonstrated that by not disclosing to you that they were prepared to sell the in stock model for below MSRP.

Don't you just love internet price quotes --- the only way to buy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would go to the dealership and talk to the salesman the offered $1000 of MSPR. Tell him about your deposit. They are the ones playing game, not you. The first one told you "that's what they're going for" (refering to MSPR). Well...evidentally that's not exactly true. (Can you believe a salesman not telling you the entire truth? What's the world coming to? ;) )

Let the two salesmen fight it out. If that doesn't work, then speak with the manager. Do you have the Internet offer on email? If so, you will have proof of the offer.

DO NOT FEEL BADLY! The sales guys and dealership will still make plenty of profit on the sale.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Re: Re: Two deals going at same dealership...help!

sfhondapilot said:

Don't let them make this your problem. Tell the internet sales manager you want to do his deal but you need HIM to unwind your other transaction. Then, step back. Remember, they are in the business to make as much money as possible. The sales person you met with has already demonstrated that by not disclosing to you that they were prepared to sell the in stock model for below MSRP.

I agree 110%!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Thanks.....

The two salesmen are at the SAME dealership.....

Regarding the guy I left the $100 with....rather than a solid "deal" went something like this:

Me: "I'm pretty sure I want a Black Pilot EX-L in May, here's my refundable $100 deposit to show you I'm mildly serious"

Salesman: "O.K., sir, I'll write it up at sticker....you know they are going for that....."

Me: "Yeah, Yeah...thanks"

The best solution, if possible, would be for me to get the discount, and for the two salesguys to split the sales commission.....

Oh well......we'll see.

Thanks again.....

If I read correctly, it sounds like your FIRST inquiry was with the internet salesman, though he didn't present the discounted deal to you until after you had left $100 with the floor salesman. Some folks would say you should have followed up with the internet guy before talking to the floor salesman. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like the floor salesman went out of his way to do any big favor for you. In this situation, I might contact the sales manager--the boss of both--and explain what happened. And, I'd emphasize that I was ready to make the deal but only for the $1000 discount. I'd leave it to the sales manager to decide how the sales commission would be split between the two salesguys....that is THEIR problem.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts

sfhondapilot said:

Remember, there is always "the other white meat". I mean "the other way to buy!" Friends! :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Two deals going at same dealership...help!

N_Jay said:

Remember, there is always "the other white meat". I mean "the other way to buy!" Friends! :2: :2: :2:
Mmmmmm. That sales offer tastes just like chicken.

:werd:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ramirami - gotcha......me too, btw.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys.....

sfhondapilot - I don't know how to quote on these boards....but that seems like great advice......their problem.

Ziploc - you too.....

Thanks again all.....

I CANT WAIT for my new Pilot (actually, it will be my wife's....)

so, So, SO much more room than her jeep, and with a dog, a 1 yr old and another on the way (we hope) the room will REALLY be needed......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kudos the the original poster

Let me get this disclaimer out of the way first - I am an Internet Sales Manager at a Honda dealer.

That said, kudos to idloveaguinness for his desire to be ethical and upfront in his business matters.

<soapbox>
I can tell you from experience that no matter how professional and ethical a dealership may - or may not - be, way too many customers do their dead level best to screw the dealer. Let's face it - two wrongs don't make right! :)

Like it or not, it is common practice for "walk-ins" to be quoted different prices than an internet customer. If you stop and think about it for a moment it makes perfect business sense. It's really no different than paying retail at one place vs. getting the same product at 50% off in a outlet store.

If the buyer doesn't know about a way to save money why is it the responsibility of the seller to tell them? When was the last time you went to the grocery store and the manager told you that you could save lots of money shopping as SAMS instead? Why is a car dealer suddenly considered evil for doing business just like everybody else?

Please don't think I'm trying to say that there are no "evil" dealers out there - they certainly are. However, we are NOT all the same and I ask that you find the ethical dealers and salespeople out there and treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve.

There are real benefits to buying your new car through the internet office - and the "best price" is just one. Hopefully, the purchase process will be shorter, easier and more pleasant. That's my goal, at least.
</soapbox>

In conclusion, I agree with the advice that your price differed is really the dealer's internal problem. Either call or visit with the internet manager and tell him your situation. Be clear with him/her that the price quote overlapped your visit in the store. They will work it out internally and you will get your discounted price.

One final point - if someone requests an internet quote then continue to work with the internet department. Don't walk in the dealership and pick another salesperson at random - ask for the internet person even if you haven't yet received a quote. If idloveaguinness had done this he wouldn't be in the spot he is now.

Best of luck and sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Kudos the the original poster

jg_hill said:

One final point - if someone requests an internet quote then continue to work with the internet department. Don't walk in the dealership and pick another salesperson at random - ask for the internet person even if you haven't yet received a quote. If idloveaguinness had done this he wouldn't be in the spot he is now.

Best of luck and sorry for the rant.
I agree. Or, as recommended to me by the internet sales person on my most recent purchase, when you visit the dealership to look / test drive, just let them know that you are working with the internet manager. Believe it or not, even with this disclosure, most good sales people will be as attentive to your needs / questions.

:p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks jg_hill -

I've never been on the sales side of the fence (in any industry) but I have always felt that knowledge of the product, seller and transaction was the best way to save $$ - not by being a sheister. (sp?)

...and you are right that I should have worked with the internet department. My only defense is this: There was a month of no contact between the internet dealer and myself, I had deleted his original MSRP quote, and had forgotten that I was visiting a dealer that had sent one in the first place. I sent out a few quote requests over the internet and when they all came back at MSRP I took a few weeks off of my search and started from scratch....

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

sfhondapilot said:

Have to agree with sfhondapilot on this one!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
idloveaguinness said:

...and you are right that I should have worked with the internet department. My only defense is this: There was a month of no contact between the internet dealer and myself, I had deleted his original MSRP quote, and had forgotten that I was visiting a dealer that had sent one in the first place. I sent out a few quote requests over the internet and when they all came back at MSRP I took a few weeks off of my search and started from scratch....

Thanks!!
The internet salesperson really should have followed up and let you know about the price reduction - at least that's what *I* would have done! :) If he had done that you would have asked for him I bet and he wouldn't be splitting a sale. Don't get caught up in whether or not a salesperson is getting full credit for a sale - splits happen all the time and it's no big deal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts