Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we bought our 2008 Pilot Certified Used from a dealer we like in 2011. Been going there for all service. Got about 140,000K on it. Started throwing codes for catalytic converter. Was going to take it to the dealer as usual. A friend talked me into going local independent. Went to a place we have taken many other cars in the past. We trust them. They checked it out and said we need two CATs. They tried aftermarket and the shields did not fit. Bolt holes didn't match up. So, we went with OEM parts.

So... all said and done.. $2307.00 for TWO catalytic converters. Labor was $550 of that. The rest was parts. Again, for TWO catalytic converters.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
So, we bought our 2008 Pilot Certified Used from a dealer we like in 2011. Been going there for all service. Got about 140,000K on it. Started throwing codes for catalytic converter. Was going to take it to the dealer as usual. A friend talked me into going local independent. Went to a place we have taken many other cars in the past. We trust them. They checked it out and said we need two CATs. They tried aftermarket and the shields did not fit. Bolt holes didn't match up. So, we went with OEM parts.

So... all said and done.. $2307.00 for TWO catalytic converters. Labor was $550 of that. The rest was parts. Again, for TWO catalytic converters.

Thoughts?
Ya, been there and done that on aftermarket. I DIY my own stuff. I tried 2 different brands from RockAuto.com on my Honda Crosstour and had to ship them back. Bought OEM from the dealership ($900+ for 2) and bolted up perfectly. $2307 is high. Were other parts included?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, been there and done that on aftermarket. I DIY my own stuff. I tried 2 different brands from RockAuto.com on my Honda Crosstour and had to ship them back. Bought OEM from the dealership ($900+ for 2) and bolted up perfectly. $2307 is high. Were other parts included?
YES! I t was about $660 each for the cats... plus gaskets and bolts and shit.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
YES! I t was about $660 each for the cats... plus gaskets and bolts and shit.
Ok, so they added + 50% to your parts. You said $550 for labor. I can't imagine that Gaskets, bolts and ? would be another $1,200? Yes, I think you paid to much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so they added + 50% to your parts. You said $550 for labor. I can't imagine that Gaskets, bolts and ? would be another $1,200? Yes, I think you paid to much.
Well.. my total math... $660 each for two OEM CATs... Plus $550 labor.. $100 diagnostic... Plus another $25 in labor... $63 for the two heat shields... $83 tax... That's $2141. ... So $166 in parts.

Sorry, I should have posted the entire bill.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Well.. my total math... $660 each for two OEM CATs... Plus $550 labor.. $100 diagnostic... Plus another $25 in labor... $63 for the two heat shields... $83 tax... That's $2141. ... So $166 in parts.

Sorry, I should have posted the entire bill.
The Labor is fair but they gigged you big time on the parts.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
The Labor is fair but they gigged you big time on the parts.
If you look at the list prices in the link I posted above, the parts prices the OP mentioned are what you would pay as a retail customer at the dealer. The OP could possibly have avoided being "gigged" on the parts prices if he had bought the parts online and brought them to the independent shop. However, most shops won't guaranty the performance of any customer supplied parts. If for some reason they don't work, then the customer would have to pay an additional labor charge to remove and replace those parts.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have an environmental conscience but at this stage in my life where I don't have excess funds I would likely go to the local respectable muffler shop and have them put an aftermarket converter on it as long as I was guaranteed the check engine light would go off, which is all I need to pass emissions testing in MD.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I have an environmental conscience but at this stage in my life where I don't have excess funds I would likely go to the local respectable muffler shop and have them put an aftermarket converter on it as long as I was guaranteed the check engine light would go off, which is all I need to pass emissions testing in MD.
Yes, and get an estimate so you know what your paying.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
If you look at the list prices in the link I posted above, the parts prices the OP mentioned are what you would pay as a retail customer at the dealer. The OP could possibly have avoided being "gigged" on the parts prices if he had bought the parts online and brought them to the independent shop. However, most shops won't guaranty the performance of any customer supplied parts. If for some reason they don't work, then the customer would have to pay an additional labor charge to remove and replace those parts.
Online price can vary. I know hondapartsonline.net is set around 25% off. (Must pay for shipping.) The shop this person used either paid to much for the OEM parts or marked the parts up excessively (Maybe priority shipping). Either way, the customer paid a 60%+ markup for parts. That's a rip off. I say + because the 25% off website is likely making 10% or more.
If I brought a mechanic OEM parts and he didn't want to guarantee his work because he didn't buy the parts, I'd find another mechanic. I'm bringing you OEM, Not Made in Mexico.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I brought a mechanic OEM parts and he didn't want to guarantee his work because he didn't buy the parts, I'd find another mechanic. I'm bringing you OEM, Not Made in Mexico.
Except a lot of online supplied stuff looks exactly like OEM but can actually be knock offs made in China so I can see their point somewhat.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
If I brought a mechanic OEM parts and he didn't want to guarantee his work because he didn't buy the parts, I'd find another mechanic.
Let me know if you find a shop that will state in writing that they won't impose additional labor charges to remove and replace any part you brought to them because it doesn't fit or function properly.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Except a lot of online supplied stuff looks exactly like OEM but can actually be knock offs made in China so I can see their point somewhat.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Hondapartsonline.net is a dealership that operates this website. Yes, be careful on Amazon or EBay etc.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Let me know if you find a shop that will state in writing that they won't impose additional labor charges to remove and replace any part you brought to them because it doesn't fit or function properly.
That's understandable.
I take tires I bought online to my local tire shop to mount an balance. If I have trouble with the balance, they will do it again.
If a mechanic takes my new Cats and install them but creates an exhaust leak, I would expect him to guarantee his work and fix the leak. The Cat didn't fail, he did. How many times I have opened up peoples hoods to find broken bolts, parts not installed correctly, charged $50 To install an air filter and didn't secure the clips. Etc. Just pathetic.
Ya, I'll let you know. This is why I DIY as much as I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They tried aftermarket parts first at $400 each, but the bolt holes didn't line up and they offered to start drilling and welding.. I said no, just get OEM parts. That's how we ended up there. And YES I trust these guys. They were not pulling a stunt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts