Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed some new front end components, including tie rods and the tie rod dust boots. 2 or 3 weeks ago I took the pilot to a shop for an alignment, after which I noticed the dust boots were twisted on both passenger and driver side - they have holes now so they need to be replaced at this point.

To get twisted around like that, the only reasoning I can think of is that the inner tie rod was rotated for the adjustment, but the outer part of the boot was not held in place/loosened. It seems exactly like this post from a Taurus forum: Wheel alignment disappointment
This seems like the obvious answer but the shop doesn’t seem to agree - I’m not going crazy here am I? I’ve reallynever had an issue with this shop before, so any other opinion is appreciated.
Automotive tire Coil spring Automotive wheel system Tread Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
2006 EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah not happy about this. Manager essentially said that since they didn't install the boots, I did, and that I put the zip ties on too tight, it's not on them that they twisted up during the alignment. Said they should have been looser to allow the tie rod to rotate.
I'm kind of shocked because I've had nothing but great service from this place for the longest time. He did offer to check the alignment if I want to install new ones, but I don't think they're budging much past that..

·
Registered
2006 EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the zip ties were on too tight that could have been an obstacle for the alignment tech but he/she should have informed you that the boots had become twisted and would require repair or adjustment. If you decide to replace the boots I'd take them up for a re-alignment assuming you got good service from them in the past.
Agreed, could be an obstacle, but that's what gets me - no one said anything. Basically saw the twisted boot and was like "yep, that'll do" and gave me my car back 🙃

·
Registered
2006 EX-L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right, of course, but this seems like one of those "move on" scenarios. You need to find another place to get alignments done anyway - you might be happier and closer to a good solution by getting another pair of links and starting over, vs. fighting with someone apparently disinclined to take care of his customers.
Yep! That's pretty much where I'm landing with this, not worth my time to push it with them any further.
I appreciate everyone's opinions on this, glad to know I wasn't crazy to think that lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts