Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
This one's going to be of interest to the 2016-18 3rd gen owners. It appears that Honda has come up with revised versions of the roof molding front end caps.

18-040 Roof Molding Front End Caps are Loose

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
So TSB 18-025 is only covered under normal warranty. I have seen people mention that this is being covered for longer but have nothing to show that I can take to my dealer. It was like pulling teeth to get them to admit my vehicle falls under this TSB!

·
Registered
84 Posts

Here is a copy of that TSB. Yes its the cap/sleeve attached to the fuel door to shield water from entering the fuel access. Recommend anyone with a pre-2019 Pilot to install this cover. Part is very inexpensive ( P/N: 17667-TG7-A01 around $4) and attaches in 5 seconds, no need to get a dealer involved.

The rest of the TSB deals with after the cap has been frozen and might be damaged and needing to be replaced.

MtMan (or anyone else, please); Has anyone done this fix themselves and ordered the parts for a 2016/17/18 Pilot EXL AWD? I am interested in doing this myself, however, when I do the search using part # 17667-TG7-A01 on any Honda parts website, it comes up that the part does not fit my 2016 Pilot 5 door EXL AWD 6 speed.

Seems that the fix for the shield is pretty straight forward, however, if you have changed the Capless Shutter Set as well, how much trouble is it to get the old one off and access the tabs that you have to "1. Remove the mis-fuel inhibit device by breaking the six lock tabs." and then "2. Pry up the lock tab, and remove the mis-fuel inhibit device."? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
146 Posts
MtMan (or anyone else, please); Has anyone done this fix themselves and ordered the parts for a 2016/17/18 Pilot EXL AWD? I am interested in doing this myself, however, when I do the search using part # 17667-TG7-A01 on any Honda parts website, it comes up that the part does not fit my 2016 Pilot 5 door EXL AWD 6 speed.

Seems that the fix for the shield is pretty straight forward, however, if you have changed the Capless Shutter Set as well, how much trouble is it to get the old one off and access the tabs that you have to "1. Remove the mis-fuel inhibit device by breaking the six lock tabs." and then "2. Pry up the lock tab, and remove the mis-fuel inhibit device."? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your input!
My friend brought his Ridgeline in after I showed him the TSB for this. Dealer did everything under warranty. He was frozen out last year though because of the problem just like you were ;).

·
Registered
84 Posts
My friend brought his Ridgeline in after I showed him the TSB for this. Dealer did everything under warranty. He was frozen out last year though because of the problem just like you were ;).

Actually, I haven't been 'frozen out' like your friend was. However, I have been a bit concerned about the possibility of water dripping down and into the gas door, without a gas cap or anything to direct any water (rain, car wash, etc.) away from the gas line input (read the Capless shutter set, where you put the gas nozzle in to fill the car with gas). When I reviewed this TSB, it became apparent that this would cause issues, especially in colder weather, and the possibility of water in the fuel tank over time.

I called Jim White Honda about the TSB 18-018 pertaining to the Capless Shutter Set (Mis-Fuel Inhibit Device) Is Frozen issue, and spoke with their parts department about my concern that the Fuel Filler Lid Cover (Pilot) 17667-TG7-A01 not appearing to fit my 2016 Honda Pilot EXL AWD 6 speed. He actually then pulled the TSB, and explained to me that that part number, although not appearing to fit my Pilot, WOULD fit, and that was due to the newer part number not showing up in any of the tech manuals and parts list yet because of the newness of the TSB. He assured me that it WOULD fit, not a problem.

I have dealt with Jim White Honda in the past, they have been very helpful, and able to get parts for me very quickly, especially when trying to locate a transmission oil cooler that was not in stock ANYWHERE in the US.

I just placed my order online with them at Jim White Honda | OEM Honda Parts for the parts listed in the TSB:

Order Content

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total

06160-TG7-A01 KIT, FUEL CAPLESS $22.61 1 $22.61

17669-TG7-A01 LABEL, CAPLESS INFORMATION $1.35 1 $1.35

17667-TG7-A01 Cover, Fuel Cap Dust $4.05 1 $4.05

Subtotal: $28.01

Plus shipping, of course.

What's weird is that the first day I started comparison shopping, almost all of the listings for the Capless Shutter Set (06160-TG7-A01) were above $32. Now, most of them seem to have dropped in price between $8 and $10. So, depending on how much time you have, you could possible find something a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have the details for the following TSB's:
17-014 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch

17-015 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch After Software Update

Our 17 pilot exl only has 17k miles on it and we occasionally have the transmission jerk/slip. The dealer is unable to replicate the issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does anyone have the details for the following TSB's:
17-014 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch

17-015 - 2016–17 Pilot: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch After Software Update

Our 17 pilot exl only has 17k miles on it and we occasionally have the transmission jerk/slip. The dealer is unable to replicate the issue. Thanks.

Try these:
[[][/[]

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts

Thanks for your input!

Are you having problems with the Capless Shutter or damaged? If not, I would just try the dust/cover on the fuel door first and see if it fits. Its only $4.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I ordered the dust cover yesterday, and slapped it in today. My dealer charged me $9 as it had to be delivered from the Honda Warehouse. All you need is the dust cover. Clicks right in no problem. You don't need any of that other stuff unless you experienced ice damage and in that case let the dealer pay for and handle it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Installing the (TSB A18-018) Capless Shutter Set (Mis-Fuel Inhibit Device)

Here is a copy of that TSB. Yes its the cap/sleeve attached to the fuel door to shield water from entering the fuel access. Recommend anyone with a pre-2019 Pilot to install this cover. Part is very inexpensive ( P/N: 17667-TG7-A01 around $4) and attaches in 5 seconds, no need to get a dealer involved.

The rest of the TSB deals with after the cap has been frozen and might be damaged and needing to be replaced.

Pertaining to the A18-018 Capless Shutter Set (Mis-Fuel Inhibit Device) Is Frozen TSB

For everyone's info, if they are thinking of doing this repair themselves, it is pretty straight forward, following the info in the TSB instructions as provided in a previous message.

I got mine in today, and initially just did the fuel filler lid cover, as I had purchased all three items mentioned in the TSB (fuel filler cover, capless shutter set, and the label, since there wasn't a sticker on my 2016 Pilot). Lid cover went on in a snap (pun intended), and then I got looking and compared the new capless shutter to the old one. It seems that mine had a LOT of play in it on the fueling pipe, and I remembered this from the first day that I put gas in it and tried to turn the gas cap (DUH, no gas cap; just insert the gas pump in and start pumping).

Since the vehicle was used, and had been in the northern mountains of NC where it does get cold, I thought it would be better for me to just go ahead and change out the capless shutter set.

I used a couple of small flat head screw drivers, longer versions of a jeweler's screw driver from a kit that I had bought at Lowes, to pry the four (4) lock tabs up. It would have gone faster if I had a small flathead screwdriver that I could have heated the tip about 3/4' - 1" up the shaft and bent the tip at a 90 degree angle so that the flat tip would have been parallel to the shaft of the screwdriver (looking down from the handle, the flat part would be seen from side to side, NOT the flat part).

I had to use one to carefully lift the top edge away, and insert the second screwdriver to lift it away from the unit and then a pair of needlenosed pliers to grab the piece and turn it to snap the plastic. The pliers that I used were a small pair, like for minute jewelry repair, and were tough to get down in to grab the piece. If I had a loger pair, that would have been better.

Got those snapped off (4 tabs) and then it said to pry up the lock tab and remove the mis-fuel inhibit device (capless shutter). Well, I tried doing that, and the whole piece just turned on the pipe, and I was able to remove it that way.

Had a bit of a time to get the new one on, only that there are points in the device that have to line up with the pipe. Once I pushed down, it, too, just snapped into place, and does NOT move when you try to grab it and turn (carefully, of course) to ensure it is seated properly.

Now, with the rain expected this week, I think I'll grab a can of gas line dryer and put that in, just to make sure there isn't any water in the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just received noticed today on a timing belt recall on the 2019 Pilots. NHTSA Recall Number 19V-298. The factory installed timing belt may not have been properly manufactured and the teeth could seperate from the timing belt. Does anyone have further information on this recall by chance? My 2019 Pilot was one of the first 2500 made, purchased back in July 2018. Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just received noticed today on a timing belt recall on the 2019 Pilots. NHTSA Recall Number 19V-298. The factory installed timing belt may not have been properly manufactured and the teeth could seperate from the timing belt. Does anyone have further information on this recall by chance? My 2019 Pilot was one of the first 2500 made, purchased back in July 2018. Thanks.
Several posts about it have been made. Here is one from 4 weeks ago

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/162681-safety-recall-3-5l-v6-timing-belt.html?162681=#post1609185

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys, has anyone had any luck applying these tsb on Canadian Honda's? I have the judder issue, but the dealer has tried for 2 years to fix...

181 - 196 of 196 Posts