Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

TSB 23-008 PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update (2016-2022) and TSB 23-010 Warranty Extension (2021-2022)

13113 Views 76 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  osimj
TSB 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update (2016-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and the idle stop feature engages, the vehicle may not automatically restart. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pushing the ENGINE START/STOP button.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this product update. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility. Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI Software. NOTE: The software update will decrease the Idle Stop operating range. As a result, the customer may notice reduced idle stop engagement when their vehicle’s battery is approaching the end of its useful life.

TSB 23-010 Warranty Extension: Engine Does Not Auto Restart After Entering Auto Idle Stop (2021-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and engaging idle stop, the vehicle may not restart automatically due to excessive cylinder pressure and/or low cranking torque. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button. NOTE: If 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update is applicable to the VIN, the PGM-FI software must be updated first before the warranty extension applies. Honda is extending the warranty coverage for valve adjustment to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limitation.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Adjust the valves.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
1 - 4 of 77 Posts
Honda is extending the warranty coverage for valve adjustment to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limitation.

I wonder if this would be the cause of the excessive cylinder pressure and/or low cranking torque mentioned as one reason the start/stop may not be able to restart the engine.
Brought my 2019 Pilot Elite in for the hood latch recall and they told me I also needed this software update, and now the auto stop won't engage at all. Anyone else have this issue and know what the solution is? I had a 35 minute ride home on the the highway so would have thought if the battery was low that would have been enough to recharge it and it would have worked by the time I was near home. Worked flawlessly before this update. Is there a way to check that my VIN should have been included?
My 2019 Touring had pretty much stopped doin any Idle Stop/Start over the past three or four weeks. I was even doing some freeway driving of over 50 miles each way and maybe once or twice the system would work. I checked the battery voltage and found it between 12.3 and 12.7 on different days. Three days ago I charged it fully and then left the charger on maintenance for about a day since I didn't need the car. The Idle Start/Stop is working perfectly now even before the car gets fully warmed up.

Moral of my post is I think I will be needing a new battery soon since this one will be 4 years old at the end of this month. Yours may be on the verge of going bad also. The new update from what I have read takes into consideration the battery condition and yours may be at the tipping point even though it worked BEFORE the update. I can imagine Honda was very conservative as to what voltage the battery had to be at to allow the Idle Stop/Start to function in order to eliminate those cars which were left stranded at traffic lights or where ever when it stopped but would not restart.

I don't plan on doing the update until after I install a new battery (if in fact even then). I am in the minority of those who actually like the feature.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Not sure if this is true since I heard/read it on the internet. California will NOT allow any owner of the Honda vehicles which are affected by this update to register their vehicles UNLESS the update has been done! The dealership will provide the owner with a paper showing the work was done and also notify the BMV of the work having been done. Linked to the video I saw this at.

Stop/Start Required to be updated in CA
Yes, we had the update done a few days ago and the idle stop never kicks in. My wife also insists the blind spot warning no longer works. I am going to try and verify that today.
Not sure what year you have but there should be a setting to turn the Blind Spot warnings on or off including on, on with beeping, or on with just visual. Check to make sure that didn't get turned off during the update. I am not going to have the update done because of hearing that the feature basically doesn't work anymore. I like it and want to keep it.
Reactions: 1
1 - 4 of 77 Posts