Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

3rd Generation Fuel Injector Replacement Walkthrough

8K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 · (Edited)
See TSB 21-010
This attachment contains the walk through for 3rd generation fuel injector replacement, for those less fortunate that can not get it for free and are looking to DIY.
This service requires...
1 - Fuel Injector Set
(16010-RLV-315)

1 - Fuel Pipe Set
(16012-R9P-315)

If anyone was wondrin what the polyethylene glycol stuff in a syringe is for that comes with the Fuel Pipe Set, it's explained how to use it in this TSB.
You may also want to order...
6 - Intake Manifold Gasket
(17101-RLV-A01)
1 - Throttle Body Gasket
(17102-RLV-A01)
1 - Rear Manifold Base Gasket
(17065-R9P-A01)
1 - Front Manifold Base Gasket
(17055-R9P-A01)
Will post more as I do this.
Happy motoring. 😁

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would be really interested to see some close up pics of the old injector nozzles if you get a chance.
Attached are two pics of one of the old injectors from my car with 63k. It's my opinion that they look worse in person. The "dirt" may be normal for this vehicle, I do not know.

Attachments

#7 ·
Nail Grease Is less fortunate the new term for salvage rebuilder? And yes I would clean those valves first.

If you do a forum search you might want to take a look at the threads involving the disabling of the VCM function. There are plenty of threads with information and recommendations for the various units. That might help you with that carbon buildup on your valves. ;) :LOL:

#9 ·
Nail Grease Is less fortunate the new term for salvage rebuilder? And yes I would clean those valves first.

If you do a forum search you might want to take a look at the threads involving the disabling of the VCM function. There are plenty of threads with information and recommendations for the various units. That might help you with that carbon buildup on your valves. ;) :LOL:
Thanks for rubbing it in. I'm still ahead of the game. I remember when saving a vehicle from being parted out was a noble cause.
Ya, fell victim to the so called "Honda reliability" that should not be extended to 3rd generation Pilots. Sad.

#20 ·
Just saw your post now, copied this information from the 2016 service information which is on the main board as a sticky I believe. Shows the bolt sequence to follow also.

View attachment 147675
Thanks!
Looks like my 16ft was spot on for the intake base. I'd have been a little short on the intake itself. I just figured it out, because those are 12mm bolts too, not 10mm. Ty Ty

#22 ·
My 17 Pilot is back together, running smooth as silk. No fuel leaks/smell (thankfully) and the P219A code went off on its own. Wife is happy because she's getting her Pilot back. I'm happy because I'm getting the Crosstour back. 😁
The only other thing I can think of to help do this job, or if your just trying to remove the intake manifold, it is necessary to loosen the three 10mm bolts on the aluminum plate (left side). The manifold will not clear the plastic wire housing (on top) without doing so.

Reactions: Hondamon
#23 ·
Happy to see you got things up and running. Hopefully these replacement injectors hold up better than the original ones did. I wonder if Honda is still saying that debris left over from the manufacturing process causes these injector failures as their TSB stated.

Or with the extended warranty on these items now do they "admit" that something is the cause other than debris such as the VCM or direct injection??????

#24 ·
Happy to see you got things up and running. Hopefully these replacement injectors hold up better than the original ones did. I wonder if Honda is still saying that debris left over from the manufacturing process causes these injector failures as their TSB stated.

Or with the extended warranty on these items now do they "admit" that something is the cause other than debris such as the VCM or direct injection??????
Well without a doubt, direct injection has made for a much dirtier engine. Hopefully the new injectors with the VCM disabled will last longer. That's the best I can hope for being warranty-less.

#26 ·
What is the total cost of the parts which you listed?
Btw as step 1 in the Repair procedure of the TSB is "Relieve the fuel pressure". How you did it?
I looked through my invoices and for some reason I can’t find it. Sorry, I don’t remember the cost.

To relieve fuel pressure, I parked the vehicle, disconnected the battery and waited a few hours before breaking loose the fuel line connection. I just placed a rag over the connection, wore saftey glasses. I don’t recall any extreme pressure, but you can’t be to cautious. Fire extinguisher available and sealed lighting that won’t cause a spark.

#28 ·
Is it just the lighting in this photo, or does the right (rear) bank's intake ports look darker than the left (front) bank's? I wouldn't expect VCM to influence that part of the engine, upstream of the intake valves (but maybe it does?).

Thank you for posting those pictures!

I think it's pretty interesting how this newer generation of direct-injected J35 has the excellent torque band it does, with lots of power and torque down low and a scream all the way up to redline, and it does it without the intake manifold spacer and it does it without the butterfly valve in the intake manifold, both in use in the previous generation of this engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.