Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this problem on a 2016 Pilot with 105,000 miles and the dealer quoted me $349 to perform TSB. Is this the going price for this? Does this fix the problem permanently? I have heard from an independent shop that at least one person they know had this done and it solved the problem for a while and then it returned.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
I have this problem on a 2016 Pilot with 105,000 miles and the dealer quoted me $349 to perform TSB. Is this the going price for this? Does this fix the problem permanently? I have heard from an independent shop that at least one person they know had this done and it solved the problem for a while and then it returned.
I changed my own fluid multiple times and permanently fixed it by disabling the VCM.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not sure about the price, but generally the fix has worked. The problem is that your transmission fluid is being cooked, partially from Honda's poor ATF cooling setup, and partially from the cylinder deactivation system (Variable Cylinder Management, VCM) which slips the clutch to smooth out vibrations when the motor is running in 3-cylinder mode. Software update is good, but you probably won't prevent it from returning until you disable the VCM system (a common mod/cure on V-6 Hondas for a decade) to stop the engine/transmission running in 3-cyl mode. Also you should adopt changing your transmission fluid more regularly.

Are you the original owner? Do you know when the last time the ATF was changed.

2016 EX-L 6 speed transmission sporadically slips/jerks/clunks | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
$350 will buy you a VCM disabling device and enough transmission fluid for many drain and refills so I would go that route unless you are not familiar with changing fluids yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick reply.

I am the original owner - just checked service history and last ATF change was at 45k miles

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
What kind of device is needed to disable the VCM?
I use S-VCM. There are others that work in a similar manner. It attaches to the temperature sensor and tricks the ECU to 165.2°F. VCM does not activate at this low temp.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
Get the software update for the trans, it will work better after the update, and of course, change the fluid.
Based on DW-1 ATF use? I've moved the 6-speed to Amalie Universal Synthetic.
¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
402 Posts
SVCM and VCM Tuner II Advanced are the current standard bearers at $100 and $120. Both are electronic modules that tell the ECU the coolant is too low to activate VCM. Your coolant guage is the only other affected system. Both of these have an overheat override function that restore temp guage function if you start to overheat. The older "muzzlers" used a simple resistor setup to lower coolant readings, but had no protection for overheating.

If I were you I would do the 3x drain and fills now (with driving in between each) and do a single drain and fill at least every 30k miles. (Probably more frequent if you live in a hot climate. ) The TSB includes a 3x drain and fill along with the software update. Many others including me have left the Honda DW-1 fluid behind in search of something that stands up to heat abuse better, as well as installing a transmission cooler. A lot to think about, but for most folks a single drain and fill every 15-30k depending on driving condition is probably enough.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Based on any suitable fluid, the software update changes multiple parameters. It just plain works better, yet to have a customer say they couldn't tell the difference. As you know, I won't support the use of any non oem trans fluid. I see far to many issues that the owner claims started after fluid x was put in. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I’d do it. $350 isn’t that bad if they are going to update the SW and change the fluid. Make sure you get a vcm disabling device afterwards though.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
In my many years of using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife in different Honda vehicles, I did proceed forward in using it in the 6-speed. After 3 D&Fs, I still had a very small torque converter clutch lock issue. But it was much improved after removing the blackened DW-1. It wasn't until I disabled the VCM that I had a permanent fix. I did no software update. Did my 2017 EX-L already have the update? I don't know. Valvoline works perfectly fine in this transmission if you don't mind the firmer shifts. I am currently testing Amalie Universal Synthetic (just did a 2nd D&F), and I can say that the transmission is performing well. No whammies. No fears. No fluctuating rpm gauge.
Disabling the VCM provides other long term benefits.

·
Registered
499 Posts
TSB 17-014 also involves a software update that an independent shop would most likely not have access to. Might be best to get it done right is to have the dealer do it. At 105k miles your about due for timing belt change and spark plugs also.

Reactions: viper74656
1 - 14 of 14 Posts