Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

TSB 13-016 Power Steering / A/C Compressor Noise

45780 65
Just returned from my local dealership and wanted to share a new TSB for '12 and '13 Pilots.

Symptom: A humming or groaning noise is heard at idle when the A/C cycles on.

Cause: When the AC compressor and the power steering pump run simultaneously, they sometimes create a natural harmonic that travels through the vehicle's body, which can be heard as a groan in the passenger compartment.

Corrective Action: Replace the power steering pump and power steering bracket.
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Why the heck do dealers let new vehicles off the lot with these "known " issues? I bought my pilot on 5/25 and I see the TSB came out on 5/1. I have this problem -- it sounds like something is going to fall apart. I maintain my vehicles meticulously, but I drive them for 200K / 10 yrs. I hate squeaks and leaks. I especially hate them when I have less than 1K miles on the car.

I hope my dealer doesn't tell me that this is just "normal" and send me away.
The reason dealers let new vehicles off the lot with these known issues is they have to pay for it. I'm not sure this is true or not, the service manager that I met, he told me that he has to pay those part....

He clearly told me that and I was like "WHAT??" I thought that HONDA pays parts and 1 hour labor to your dealer... He said NO...

Maybe that's why they only fix when customer complains?

· Registered
1,267 Posts
The reason dealers let new vehicles off the lot with these known issues is they have to pay for it. I'm not sure this is true or not, the service manager that I met, he told me that he has to pay those part....

He clearly told me that and I was like "WHAT??" I thought that HONDA pays parts and 1 hour labor to your dealer... He said NO...

Maybe that's why they only fix when customer complains?
Not true about the manufacturer not paying for the TSB work according to Edmunds.com:
How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?

"And, of course, the best thing about finding a TSB that seems to cover a persistent problem in your vehicle is that dealerships will make the repair for free, provided that
•Your vehicle is under warranty;
•Your service advisor and/or technicians are able to confirm that the problem exists.
The second mandate is not to be taken lightly, Chirico warned. Even if your vehicle is within the warranty period, "the dealership is not going to do anything about it, if [technicians] cannot verify the concern.... The manufacturer pays for the repair, not the dealership, and the dealership has to treat the manufacturer like a customer.... The service writer can't write up an invoice with just the TSB number and expect the manufacturer to pay for the procedure. The manufacturer wants to know that the car is legitimately broken."

· Registered
89 Posts
Greatly appreciate this info! Been dealing with this since we bought our '12 Pilot in October 2011. Early on they even changed the compressor trying to fix it. I had been waiting for someone else to have success dealing with the issue, so I just quit worrying about it. Now, hopefully this is the true cure. I will get in touch with the dealership & print this TSB as well. Will report back.

· Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Daviddebo for the info. :29:

Went to the dealership yesterday. Had the service rep ride with me for a minute and he immediately acknowledged the issue. They have ordered the parts under TSB 13-016 and will install it once they arrive.

If anyone around the boulder area is experiencing the same issue, check with Fisher Honda service department, they seem to be very helpful.

· Registered
89 Posts
Update: I emailed the service manager last week to explain my situation. He ordered the parts, no questions, & set up an appointment for last Friday. My wife dropped it off on her way to work, & she reported no more humming/droning after picking it up. I had my first chance to drive it yesterday, & it is indeed cured. So glad they finally got it figured out!:claphead:

Once again, thanks so much for the info "Daviddebo"! :7:

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Another up-date.

I dropped off the Pilot today for the power steering pump up-grade. I received a call about 2 hours later and was told "we can not recreate the noise you are describing" and before I went off.......... he added "we have the parts on order and they will be here in the morning, you can pick up the Pilot tomorrow afternoon".

I was so ready for a long battle but Klein Honda in Everett, WA came through, so here is a pat on the back for them. :crazyeye:

I also had them check for up-dates on the ECO mode noise/vibration and none are available from Honda.

· Registered
4,292 Posts
Another up-date.

I dropped off the Pilot today for the power steering pump up-grade. I received a call about 2 hours later and was told "we can not recreate the noise you are describing" and before I went off.......... he added "we have the parts on order and they will be here in the morning, you can pick up the Pilot tomorrow afternoon".

I was so ready for a long battle but Klein Honda in Everett, WA came through, so here is a pat on the back for them. :crazyeye:

I also had them check for up-dates on the ECO mode noise/vibration and none are available from Honda.
There is no such thing as an ECO mode. The ECO light is an indicator that you are driving in a manner that will achieve the combined epa mpg or better. The indicator can illuminate whether VCM is active or not. It is not an indicator of VCM engagement (according to the Honda Pilots assistant Chief engineer). VCM engagement appears to be the issue causing problems. Did they check for VCM noise/vibration?

· Registered
1,138 Posts
There is no such thing as an ECO mode. The ECO light is an indicator that you are driving in a manner that will achieve the combined epa mpg or better. The indicator can illuminate whether VCM is active or not. It is not an indicator of VCM engagement (according to the Honda Pilots assistant Chief engineer). VCM engagement appears to be the issue causing problems. Did they check for VCM noise/vibration?
Please forgive me for using the wrong terminology and saying ECO Mode, I did a copied and paste from a thread from 12/7/2011 http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/29635-eco-mode-noise-vibration.html

I am not a Honda Pilot assistant Chief engineer and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night, in fact I stayed in a Motel 3 (about half as good as a Motel 6). Myself and I think a lot of people on this board associate the VCM engagement with ECO Mode since it is used to save gas and our natural resources.

But to answer your question on a up-date for the VCM noise/vibration, yes they did check and no up-date is available at this time. For the first time in over a year they did admit other people have complained about the VCM

· Registered
68 Posts
Here is the Canadian TSB for this issue from Honda Canada. My dealer outright refused the American TSB, he says it only applies to American Pilots and the noise is characteristic of the vehicle and hence normal.

After I found the Canadian TSB and showed it to them they had no more excuses and ordered the part. :29:

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Threads like this are why I love these forums... I've been irritated about the humming noise in the Pilot we bought for my wife earlier this week. Now I know what to do about it.

Thanks all!

· Registered
11 Posts
Here is the Canadian TSB for this issue from Honda Canada. My dealer outright refused the American TSB, he says it only applies to American Pilots and the noise is characteristic of the vehicle and hence normal.

After I found the Canadian TSB and showed it to them they had no more excuses and ordered the part. :29:
I'm in Canada. My dealer diagnosed the problem, pulled out the service b and changed the prt. First time they've done it but it now sounds great. You can still hear the air con cycling but no more weird and annoying harmonic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
15 Posts
Does anybody have any before/after pics of your actual power steering pump? I'm going to pop the hood and take a picture or two of my own. I'll post them in here, if anybody cares.

I called my local dealership (Tameron Honda in Hoover, AL) and set up an appointment for Saturday morning. I told the guy the issue I was having, and that is exactly the one described in TSB 13-016. He kept saying things like, "I'm sure we'll be able to fix whatever your problem is."

I told him directly that the power steering pump will need to be replaced, per the TSB. He said, "Are you having difficulty steering the vehicle?" I told him that I'm not, but that the TSB calls for a new power steering pump, so they should be prepared to have one put in my vehicle. (From what I've read in this thread, they don't always have the parts on hand for this repair.) Put me down as skeptical that they'll have what I need when I show up Saturday.

Also, I plan to sit in the car while the tech listens for the humming so they can't pull that "we can't replicate it" crap.

UPDATE (Didn't want to create another post)
I sent a text to the guy who sold me the Pilot and explained the situation. He said he's glad I caught him, b/c he asked "the director" (whatever that means) and the service I need is a "Mon-Fri service job" and can't even be done on the weekends. He did say that they "have everything in stock for service on TSBs." So far, I'm not terribly impressed w/ the Tameron service department, but I'll give my business to my salesman again.

· Registered
6 Posts
After only about 7 days with my new Pilot ex-l a quick search of this hum and voila, ive got a problem!!! Gotta call my local dealer and make that appointment that hum is annoying...you would think the dealer would survey current pilots on the lot and take care of this issue so the new owners wouldnt have to, wait that just makes too much sense...

· Registered
50 Posts
i have a strange groaning noise coming from my 08 pilot, could this be a similar issue?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.