Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from my local dealership and wanted to share a new TSB for '12 and '13 Pilots.

Symptom: A humming or groaning noise is heard at idle when the A/C cycles on.

Cause: When the AC compressor and the power steering pump run simultaneously, they sometimes create a natural harmonic that travels through the vehicle's body, which can be heard as a groan in the passenger compartment.

Corrective Action: Replace the power steering pump and power steering bracket.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
Good information daviddebo, thanks for the heads up!
My 2013 Pilot has had this problem from day one and the dealer said it it normal.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure! I am sure a bunch of us have this issue. I looked through the TSB and there have been changes to both the pump and pump mount bracket. The pump has an extra flange for a 3rd bolt to attatch it to the new pump bracket. Previous parts were held together with 2 bolts. BTW this TSB was published 5/1/2013.

· Registered
3 Posts
GREAT NEWS!! Like many of you here, I have been dealing with this noise when the AC compressor kicks on issue ever since I bought my 2012 Pilot. The great news is that I just took my Pilot to the dealer today, and after they replaced the power steering pump, along with the bracket that mounts it, the noise is FIXED! I am so happy... I was getting SO annoyed...

My invoice shows Service Bulletin #13-016 as the fix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
434 Posts
How many pages is it? You could do a screen capture of each page.

1) Open the .pdf and make the window as large as possible
2) Size the page so that it fits the window.
3) Go to page 1
4) Press Alt +Print Screen. This will capture the page in the clipboard
5) Go to your favorite image editing program and paste in the image.
6) Save it as a .jpg file
7) steps 3-7 for each of the other pages

When you are done, you'll have a .jpg file to upload for each page. It may not be as crystal clear as the .pdf, but the total size should be smaller.

· Registered
102 Posts
On May 3rd, I purchased a 2013 Touring and the next day (and every day since) I noticed the groaning sound. After reading this thread I called my dealer's service department and mentioned the symptom(s) and referenced the TSB. They ran the VIN and said my Pilot is not part of the recall. I have an appt on Monday to install running boards and will bring the TSB. Since it says all 2012 and 2013's are covered I assume mine will be, too.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just had this work performed today. So I get home and open the hood to peek around at the job they did, check fluids, etc. and what do I see? A new PS pump, a new PS pump bracket with the flanges for the third bolt, and NO BOLT! I just cant believe it. The two original bolts but no new third bolt. The whole point of the redesigned parts was to have them joined by a third bolt and the "master tech" doesnt put it on. So back to the dealership we go. The noise is 90% better even without the bolt though. I guess if anyone has this done, check to make sure you get the third bolt.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.