Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd list the individual TSBs by number and title to make them easier to find. I need to take my Pilot in for some of them, so I thought I'd post them as their own threads. Mods, if you feel these are redundant, please feel free to delete them.

*** EDITED BY KEMOSABE -- You're fine, shutrbug!!! :)

Originally posted by Supo on 9-30-03 in this thread

TSB 03_060 Scraping or Popping When Opening the Tailgate

September 23, 2003

Applies To: 2003 Pilot – From VIN 2HKYF18..3H500001 thru 2HKYF18..3H562075

SYMPTOM
The tailgate makes a loud scraping or popping noise as it nears its fully open position. This problem usually happens in hot weather.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The front edge of the tailgate spoiler trim is too high, and the T-bolts on each side of the spoiler trim stick in their tracks.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the foam under the tailgate spoiler trim with 3M Scotchfoam tape. Remove any plastic flashing from the T-bolt tracks so the bolts move freely.

CUSTOMER INFORMATION:
The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment, and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an
authorized Honda automobile dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Where can I get the PDF of this TSB?

Where can I get the PDF of this TSB?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pops without tailgate

My hatch pops every time, and I do not have a spoiler. Does this TSB apply to this situation?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Pops without tailgate

Tonto said:
My hatch pops every time, and I do not have a spoiler. Does this TSB apply to this situation?
All Pilots have the Rear Roofline Spoiler -- on the LX, it is black and on the EX, it is body-colored... :4: :17:

It feels weird answering a post from Tonto... :werd: :crazyeye:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This TSB fix does not work for the rear spoiler. I had it done to my Pilot @ 2 weeks ago. Today my wife opened the rear hatch and the spoiler caught on the trailing edge of the roof. Result ? Broken spoiler and dented roof. This is definitely a design defect.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Picked up the Pilot today. They did a good job of replacing the spoiler and fixing the dents. When I open the hatch the spoiler clears the trailing edge of the roof quite easily.

The dealer said that the owner of the bodyshop where they had the work done also owns a Pilot so he was comparing mine to his when he did the repair. He has never had the rubbing problem with his Pilot. Apparently he noticed that the rear hatch on my Pilot did not line up the same as the hatch on his Pilot so not only did he realign the new spoiler but he also adjusted the alignment of the hatch itself. This might explain why some people, myself included, have had the spoiler TSB done but it hasn't solved the problem.

If you have this problem have them also check the alignment of the hatch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 04 Black Pilot and the spoiler "pops" when it has been in the sun. Was really bad when on trip to south TX. Live in CO, but has happen here. My boss has a red 03 Pilot and his roof and spoiler are a mess. My brother just bought a 04 pilot and asked about the spoiler, the dealer told him they never heard of any problem. I am calling my dealer today!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Here's a picture of the damage the spoiler caused to the roof of the Pilot. Since the spoiler was replaced and the bodywork done it has never rubbed again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Here's the after picture

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts