·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Submitted by: hondasuv Commented: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:30 pm
TSB 01-009 dated Sep 10, 2002

V6 Engine Oil Leaks that can potentially affect some Pilots

Observations:
Oil leak from either the front, middle, or rear part of the engine. This is due to the porus nature of the cast aluminum engine block.

Resolutions:
Seal with 3-bond-coated sealing bolts or JB Weld.

This is a very intensive fix and is best left to the certified Honda Master mechanics who have the right tools to do the job.
:25: :25:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
rogert said:
Submitted by: hondasuv Commented: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:30 pm
TSB 01-009 dated Sep 10, 2002

Has anyone had this problem?
Has anyone actually had honda fix it this way?

This seems to get posted over and over yet there is no mention of people haveing this issue.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I haven't noticed even a drop of oil on my garage floor since owning my Pilot and i'm at 21+k miles.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: Re: TSB 01-009 - V6 Engine Oil Leaks

N_Jay said:

Has anyone had this problem?
Has anyone actually had honda fix it this way?
I haven't heard of any fixes using this TSB either. Presumably, aluminum blocks can have porosity and, in certain instances, can have an oil leak as a result. I've seen the TSB and it identifies two or three specific areas where *if* the block is "excessively porous" how to fix it from the inside.

But most of the oil leaks I've seen posted here and at the X site have been seal related, and the couple that the dealer couldn't identify the specific source ended up with new shortblocks altogether rather than fishing around and patching w/JB weld.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: TSB 01-009 - V6 Engine Oil Leaks

TheWorm said:
I haven't heard of any fixes using this TSB either
Then why does it get re-posted every few months.

Seems someone out there like stirring the mud.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You might be reading too much into it. I don't see it as any different than any other subject. Lot's of subjects get brought up time and time again. It's just the nature of forums.

I haven't had any oil drips, but I have noticed that my Pilot burns off quite a bit of oil. Not sure if its related to the porous nature of the block or not. I don't lose a drop in 5,000 miles on my wife's Sienna and lose a total of a quart in 3,750 on the Pilot.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: TSB 01-009 - V6 Engine Oil Leaks

N_Jay said:

Then why does it get re-posted every few months.

Seems someone out there like stirring the mud.
Some folks check the NTHSA site for TSBs and stuff, and this one's on there. Note that it was issued in 2001. I think it's more outta curiosity than anything else. Most TSBs are issued for frequent and reported problems by owners, so someone sees it and asks if we're experiencing the problem. A few TSBs are "this could occur and if it does...", and the porous block TSB is one of those. IMO.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
xyzzy said:
You might be reading too much into it. I don't see it as any different than any other subject. Lot's of subjects get brought up time and time again. It's just the nature of forums.

I haven't had any oil drips, but I have noticed that my Pilot burns off quite a bit of oil. Not sure if its related to the porous nature of the block or not. I don't lose a drop in 5,000 miles on my wife's Sienna and lose a total of a quart in 3,750 on the Pilot.
I don't lose any oil between 3,750 changes in my Pilot, that I notice anyway. Guess I start checking more regularly for a while.

·
Registered
411 Posts
xyzzy said:

A total of a quart? Wow, that's a lot! I don't loose any on VW with 191,000 miles. I really don't like hearing that!

Are you sure there's nothing wrong? I will demand they find the cause if my Pilot has the same problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Porosity

Having worked at a foundry and Engine plant...Porosity is serious. Do not accept any fix without a lifetime warranty on the repair!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts