Discussion Starter #1
From hondasuv.com

TSB 01-009 - V6 Engine Oil Leaks

Watch this article for replies

Submitted by: hondasuv Commented: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:30 pm
TSB 01-009 dated Sep 10, 2002

V6 Engine Oil Leaks that can potentially affect some Pilots

Observations:
Oil leak from either the front, middle, or rear part of the engine. This is due to the porus nature of the cast aluminum engine block.

Resolutions:
Seal with 3-bond-coated sealing bolts or JB Weld.

This is a very intensive fix and is best left to the certified Honda Master mechanics who have the right tools to do the job.
:25: :25:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Um, Honda's recomended fix for an oil leak caused by a defect in the aluminium engine casting be fixed, basically by putting epoxy glue in the bolt holes. This cant possibly be right.

Or at least I hope it is not right.

-Hans

·
Registered
24 Posts
anyone get stung by this?

This is news to me. I haven't noticed any leaks. Has anyone else?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dunno, my pilot has about 1400 miles on it, I crawled under it this afternoon and ran my hand across the bottom of the transmission, I found a greasy film, but nothing that looked like an oil leak, and belive me I know what oil leaks look like, Ive owned 2 Volkwagen's before I quit that bad habit!

Sounds like a FUD campaign ot me, the fix sounds very unlikely....

-Hans

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
That TSB is from October 2001. IMO it's no more than a prescriptive "what if" tech bulletin rather than something addressing a present or widespread issue (like the waterpump deal last fall).

IIRC, on the MDX site there have been two such instances since the MDX came out in 01. Neither was fixed with JB Weld -- nor was it even tried. Both owners got new short blocks.

The TSB applies to ALL Honda and Acura cars with aluminum blocks.

hanns - There's frequently an "oily" substance on the tranny and other engine components left over from assembly. Shouldn't be enough to drip on the floor (which would be a symptom of the porous casting or a rear seal leak), and might take another 1k to burn or evap all the assembly lube off.. I'd not worry about it, but you can wipe it off and check for residual drips, along with checking your oil level if you're really concerned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, not really worried though, Honda has always had the reputation of building some of the worlds best engines, which is the primary reasion I chose a Honda's SUV, over Toyota, Nissan, and the rest of the SUV crowd.

The absurd concept of fixing an oil leak by packing bolt holes with "JB Weld", which is basically an epoxy with a filler in it, just caught my attention, that's all.

No manufacturing process I am aware of yields 100% perfect quality product, though I still belive Honda's product quality to be quite high. I am glad to hear Honda did the right thing and gave the customers new short blocks!

-Hans

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
hanss said:
The absurd concept of fixing an oil leak by packing bolt holes with "JB Weld", which is basically an epoxy with a filler in it, just caught my attention, that's all.
The JB Weld solution elicited a similar response when the TSB was posted on the MDX board when it was released back then. I guess it works better than chewing gum. ;)

(oh, sorry for the extra 'n' and missing 's')

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not A Problem

I have nearly 19,000 miles on my PILOT - and haven't had any problems!!!

Thank you Honda!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
388 Posts
jbweld :21:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda Pilot Oil Leaks

Yes, you are correct about the oil leaks.

So far this year, 2 have been returned as Lemons in Florida due to the fact that Honda does not a fix for this problem yet.

This is considered a factory defect and has been adjudicated non-correctable by the Attorney General's office in Florida.

As I am now on my 7th Honda, I am loyal to a fault, but I too am sending my Pilot back under the LEMON LAW for another reason.

It seems American Honda released these Pilots with a known defect and do not at this time have a cure for it.

The ECM (electronic control module) gives false indications of trouble by lighting the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. American Honda tech line acknowledges that they have known about this for 2 years with the Acura MDX and Honda Odyssey, but still don't know how to fix it.

For anyone that complains, the Arbitration boards are ordering a buyback at full price, due to failure to disclose a known defect.

SHAME ON HONDA FOR TRYING TO DUPE THE PUBLIC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JB Weld

JB Weld mentioned in the TSB is a metal epoxy. http://www.jbweld.net/
Not that I'm trying to sell JB Weld ( Paul Harvey does that ):

Like metal, J-B WELD can be formed, drilled, ground, tapped, machined, filled, sanded, and painted. It stays pliable for about 30 minutes after mixing, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures fully in 15-24 hours. It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500º F. J-B WELD is super strong, non-toxic, and safe to use. Before it sets, you can clean up with soap and water.
Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500º F (twice the heat-resistance of competitive products). It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!

I don't know why Honda choose this as a fix. Then again, Honda no longer realeases all TSBs to the public. www.alldata.com

Oil leak mentioned on another user group:

This member from honda-acura.net/forum may have had the JB Weld fix....check his thread.....
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread/t-54346.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
JBweld, Epoxy, Crazy Glue, Elmers.......it's all just Glue!

If I discovered some mechanic had fixed an oil leak due to an engine block casting defect with glue, I would not be happy, to say the least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have noticed drops of what appears to be oil under our Pilot which has 2,400 miles on it. Put down newspaper underneath and it looks like about 1 drop per day. Haven't spoken to the dealer about it. Is this the sign of a big problem?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts