Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Pilot, about 67k miles. I uploaded a quick video- the noise I'm trying to identify is the off-beat thing that cycles every second or so- not the consistent fast ticking.

It's not tied to engine speed, and happens regardless of whether or not the blowers are on. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it's there pretty regularly- more often than not.

It's been there for at least a few years- so it doesn't seem to be a big deal, obviously. The car runs great and hasn't really needed anything beyond the routine maintenance.

It's the wife's car, and she hasn't complained much about it... but we'll be doing a 4000+ mile road trip next month, and hearing that non-stop for 8 long days of driving is going to annoy the piss out of me...

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Sounds like something hung up in the crankshaft pulley. I'd remove the passenger side tire and inspect. If it's not visible, I'd look under the timing belt covers next.
I wouldn't drive it until I figured it out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Since it’s been years making the sound it doesn’t seem to be something that will cause a failure. Drive belt tensioner, AC compressor clutch or alternator bearing? If it were either of those I would think the sound would change with engine RPM. Maybe radiator cooling fans? Something in the vacuum circuit? Will it make the noise with the ignition on but engine not running? You can make a poor man‘s stethoscope with a long screw driver. Place the tip on an object such as the alternator and place your ear next to the handle. Works really well to help isolate the source of noises. Obviously need to be cautious around the spinning bits while the engine is running. That’s a mystery sound for sure. I couldn’t live with that for a day much less a few years!

·
Registered
40 Posts

Timing belt tensioner and pulley (bad bearing). My engine made the same noise. I tried every engine treatment under the sun trying to figure this out (liqui moly ceratec, marvel mystery oil, seafoam, berryman chemtool b12)

You can order replacement parts from ebay. Installation by a mechanic should take less than two hours depending on how difficult it will be to remove the bolt.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

Timing belt tensioner and pulley (bad bearing). My engine made the same noise. I tried every engine treatment under the sun trying to figure this out (liqui moly ceratec, marvel mystery oil, seafoam, berryman chemtool b12)

You can order replacement parts from ebay. Installation by a mechanic should take less than two hours depending on how difficult it will be to remove the bolt.

If it's the tensioner pulley, I'd order the whole kit. The tensioner pulley is bolted into the water pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts