Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of the regional brands named Sheetz is having a sale until November 28th of E15 for $1.99 a gallon. I have always used E10 with 87 octane, this is E15 with 88 octane. I am expecting the miles per gallon to drop a bit from everything I have read. I have the actual calculated mileage of each tank of gas I have purchased since buying this 2019 Touring AWD new. It's getting colder here along the southern shores of Lake Erie and we have had our second blast of Lake effect snow but temps for the next several days are going to be in the 40's.

I actually had almost half a tank of gas when I filled up and put 9.5 gallons of the E15 in to top off the tank. Maybe I am running E12.5 and 87.5 octane with the mixing of the two? I will follow up with the mpg of this tank. Not sure if I will be needing another fill up by the 28th as one tank of gas usually lasts me from 2-3 weeks. I think I will top off by or on the 28th with the E15 again just to if I can see a difference. Lifetime for the car is 21.8 mpg with 38500 miles but the last tank was 18.8 mpg with the colder temps, winter gas, and snow and ice driving short distances.

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,585 Posts
the owners manual recommends use of top tier gas, which Sheetz is not. Given all the fuel injector issues with these vehicles, I would not use anything but top tier.
I’ve have always suggested that we should only use top tier 87 octane fuel. Never knew Honda suggested the same. I’d avoid E15 if at all possible, even though Honda says it’s ok. They would like to sell you a new vehicle next year. 😂
Font Screenshot Number Document Rectangle

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the owners manual recommends use of top tier gas, which Sheetz is not. Given all the fuel injector issues with these vehicles, I would not use anything but top tier.
Honda and most other manufacturers who recommend Top Tier are doing just that, RECOMMEND not require. I just checked my fill up records and of the 115 fill ups since purchasing this Pilot new. less than 7 were at non Top Tier stations. I always try to fill up with Top Tier fuel whenever possible but wanted to try the E15 this time.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
No fuel additives + E15 + Active VCM + semi blend oil + long oil change interval + short daily drives = dirty engine

Reactions: Carl_B

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No fuel additives + E15 + Active VCM + semi blend oil + long oil change interval + short daily drives = dirty engine
I agree mostly. That's why I do 5000 mile synthetic oil changes with a filter everytime, use Top Tier fuel over 97% of the time, and even then add a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner about 500 miles before every other oil and filter change. I tried the VCM muzzler and removed it because I lost 1-2 mpg and never noticed a difference with or without it. Having seen very few reports of engine problems on the 3rd generation compared to some of the earlier gens I feel Honda has eliminated the vast majority of problems. Now the 6 speed transmission and their judder and converter problems MAY be related to the VCM or the transmission itself or it's programming. I have the 9 speed and haven't seen those same problems reported. As for E15 this is the first time trying it and will use it one more time while it's 1.99 and approved by Honda per my owners manual. YMMV

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I agree mostly. That's why I do 5000 mile synthetic oil changes with a filter everytime, use Top Tier fuel over 97% of the time, and even then add a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner about 500 miles before every other oil and filter change. I tried the VCM muzzler and removed it because I lost 1-2 mpg and never noticed a difference with or without it. Having seen very few reports of engine problems on the 3rd generation compared to some of the earlier gens I feel Honda has eliminated the vast majority of problems. Now the 6 speed transmission and their judder and converter problems MAY be related to the VCM or the transmission itself or it's programming. I have the 9 speed and haven't seen those same problems reported. As for E15 this is the first time trying it and will use it one more time while it's 1.99 and approved by Honda per my owners manual. YMMV
The 9-speed transmission seems to be less susceptible to problems related with VCM, but I don’t believe the fuel savings doesn’t come without the cost of something. That being longevity. Engine failure will come sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 9-speed transmission seems to be less susceptible to problems related with VCM, but I don’t believe the fuel savings doesn’t come without the cost of something. That being longevity. Engine failure will come sooner than later.
I guess only the long term ownership of these 3rd generations will tell. My fingers are crossed for the best!!!

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I guess only the long term ownership of these 3rd generations will tell. My fingers are crossed for the best!!!
The greatest milage on a 3rd gen written about on the forum was 237k. That was only after having the 6-speed transmission replaced twice 😱. The VCM was not disabled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts