Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, glad to be a part of the forum. I used to have a beautiful 4th gen 4Runner, my mom bought it new, I did all the maintenance on it and eventually purchased it from her, took my wife and kids across the country more than once. It was was totaled and not covered by insurance. It's been three years of hell since then and I've gone through 2 cars; one the engine blew a head-gasket and the other had a bad transmission, just waiting for the right opportunity to come along. I did not want to spend too much at once, and avoid financing at all costs. I finally found a one-owner Pilot with 127k for a steal of a deal at $1,700, it was his wife's and she babied it, Sunday driving as he put it. It was the 4 teenage drivers that did the body damage haha. It needs some work, mostly cosmetic, but it drives like new. Considering ones around here go for $6-7k I'm more than happy to put some money into it. To keep me in budget I have broken down what it needs mechanically into several intervals. Most work I'll be doing my self, but more advanced things like timing and valve clearances I'll leave to the pros. After this I won't need to do much for the next few years at least. My daughter was just as excited as I was lol.

First thing I ordered is a new radiator, Aisin thermostat and Honda Coolant, not gonna chance it, plus I smell a hint of coolant in that area. EDIT: I went through the service records and found that they replaced the radiator in 2013 @ 66k miles. Should I still replace it to be doubly safe?

Service 2 will be fluids, adding a transmission cooler, ATF filter, replace ATF with Honda fluid (PO had a flush done at one of those express lube's last year), VTM-4 fluid change, M1 High Mileage Full Synthetic, PurolatorBOSS Oil filter, Purolator air filter.

Service 3 will be the complete timing job, Aisin TKH-002 kit.

Service 4 will be valve clearance check/adjustment and spark plugs (PZ-FR5F-11).

Service 5 will be new brakes all around, the fronts will be Frozen Rotors (best rotors I've ever had, good for car's that warp brakes), unsure what I'll do for pads and the rears, as frozen rotors are overkill for the back.

After that it's on to the body, paint/clear coat needs a good claying, cutting and polishing, new bumpers, new front fenders, new headlights, a taillight, replacement rear hatch and used replacement wheel wells in the rear welded in. I'll be seeking and destroying any minimal existing rust elsewhere and using Fluid Film yearly to minimize it in the future. All in, I'm still under retail and know that it is 100% fully up-to-date on maintenance.

Here she stands in all her glory

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
(y)Congratsamundo. Don't forget the cabin air filter. And maybe new wipers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(y)Congratsamundo. Don't forget the cabin air filter. And maybe new wipers.
Good point. The wipers do look pretty bad, going to order some Bosch blades. And I used Turtle Wax Odor X (new car scent) and noticed a lingering odor, bet it's the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Do the timing belt yourself as the dealer would charge $1100-1400 for what is a Saturday DIY job. Watch youtube vids and find my write-up on the job here on the forum.
Cheap Centric rotors work fine for me and hold up better than OEM. OEM or Akebono pads work fine too.
Vacuum the rear blower intake mesh by the driver right heel.

Reactions: FilOfTheFuture90

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the timing belt yourself as the dealer would charge $1100-1400 for what is a Saturday DIY job. Watch youtube vids and find my write-up on the job here on the forum.
Cheap Centric rotors work fine for me and hold up better than OEM. OEM or Akebono pads work fine too.
Vacuum the rear blower intake mesh by the driver right heel.
I will look into that. I've always been afraid to do timing jobs, but at one point when I was younger I swapped in an engine in my truck, so I imagine I can do it. I see amazon has both Centric Rotors and Akebono pads, seems low-cost enough.

Driver right heel? Hmm I don't remember seeing that mesh, I'll have to go look again.

PS How are those replacement brake lines?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I finally found a one-owner Pilot with 127k for a steal of a deal at $1,700, it was his wife's and she babied it, Sunday driving as he put it.
Check your VIN at the following link to be sure that all of the recalls have been addressed.
In particular, the airbags were recalled earlier this year for a second time, so even if they've been replaced once they may well need to be replaced again.
https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I see amazon has both Centric Rotors and Akebono pads, seems low-cost enough.
Good choice with the Centric and/or Akebono. I've been very happy since I finally put on this Centric set from site sponsor Rockauto.com. Low cost and the good brakes the Pilot should have had all along. Compare prices w/Amazon to see where you get the best deal.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8264384&cc=1432632&jsn=411

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/honda-brand-brake-fluid-vs-off-the-shelf-dot3-or-dot4-opinions.162781/#post-1614889

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/front-end-replacement-time.164604/#post-1623451

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check your VIN at the following link to be sure that all of the recalls have been addressed.
In particular, the airbags were recalled earlier this year for a second time, so even if they've been replaced once they may well need to be replaced again.
https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
Passenger side is the only one open at the time. According to CarFax they had visited the dealer twice in 2016, I just called the dealer and they informed me they did the Driver Side, and then came back after the Airbag light was on, but did not do the Passenger Side, which is confirmed when I pulled the VIN.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
248 Posts
6 year old radiator and it already looks like the original '05 radiator that I just replaced this summer after an external ATF leak. I did plan to replace it back in around 2013 but did not do it. Hmm, not sure but that rusty washer looks ominous to me tho...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good choice with the Centric and/or Akebono. I've been very happy since I finally put on this Centric set from site sponsor Rockauto.com. Low cost and the good brakes the Pilot should have had all along. Compare prices w/Amazon to see where you get the best deal.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8264384&cc=1432632&jsn=411

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/honda-brand-brake-fluid-vs-off-the-shelf-dot3-or-dot4-opinions.162781/#post-1614889

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/front-end-replacement-time.164604/#post-1623451
Hmm, Centric kit is $43 cheaper on RA than Centric & Akebono on Amazon. Wonder if Akebono pads are worth it or not.

Thanks for the other links, they are all definitely on my list, brake fluid flush when I do the brakes. While the front end is still tight, I have been debating on replacing it all in a year/year and a half, or after everything else is done, whichever is later, and then I will definitely not have to do anything other than basic maintenance for the next 5 or so years. A decent amount of work ahead, but beats having a car note (plus interest and depreciation).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
6 year old radiator and it already looks like the original '05 radiator that I just replaced this summer after an external ATF leak. I did plan to replace it back in around 2013 but did not do it. Hmm, not sure but that rusty washer looks ominous to me tho...
Right?! I'm trying to get more opinions on it, particularly people who have seen the issue before. The shop couldn't tell me what brand they replaced it with (didn't know). That rusty washer is what tipped it off to me, I thought it was the original radiator.....

I'm just really concerned it has the same issue. I do not want it to fail, and it would likely fail in the worst possible time/location, in the middle of nowhere, going to see family on the west coast. Not to mention we might be out a transmission at the minimum.

Anyone else think it looks like the original issue?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Let's wait for others to chime in. Here's a question: Had I replaced the radiator in 2013, would I replace it again at the present condition of the washer? I didn't replace it then knowing (from this forum) that I was taking a gamble. Your call...

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,667 Posts
Nice find. Welcome to the forum.

That rust on the radiator fitting looks like it’s on borrowed time. If it were me I’d replace the radiator. I don’t think you had upper and lower radiator hoses on your list and I would replace those as well if the existing ones are the originals.

Other common failure points on the 2005 are front motor mount, passenger side motor mount, and compliance (lower control arm) bushings, along with the radiator which you’re considering.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice find. Welcome to the forum.

That rust on the radiator fitting looks like it’s on borrowed time. If it were me I’d replace the radiator. I don’t think you had upper and lower radiator hoses on your list and I would replace those as well if the existing ones are the originals.

Other common failure points on the 2005 are front motor mount, passenger side motor mount, and compliance (lower control arm) bushings, along with the radiator which you’re considering.
Any reason to do the hoses?

Thanks for those, I'll be on the lookout for issues arising around those components. Right now they are good, so I imagine I could put them off for now. The radiator was already purchased and shipped before I found out that it was replaced 6 years ago @ 66k miles. So I might as well just do it and have one less thing to have anxiety about.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,667 Posts
If original, the radiator hoses are 14 or 15 years old and will eventually fail. They cost $20, so I consider them something you might as well change while you’re in there. Otherwise when you eventually replace them you’ll be redoing a lot of work having to drain, fill, and burp the cooling system.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts